berkley lures

What lures are working and people's reviews and photos on what they have caught on them!
mazman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher and 2015 Hobie Outback

Re: berkley lures

Post by mazman »

is it the crunch of the hit or just shear pressure mid fight that's causing them to break? I have three myself and have caught a decent amount of fish on them without an issue so far.

Cheers Alex
Facebook page: Hawkesy Fishing
Youtube: Hawkesy Fishing
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

mazman wrote:is it the crunch of the hit or just shear pressure mid fight that's causing them to break? I have three myself and have caught a decent amount of fish on them without an issue so far.

Cheers Alex
It's large snapper and their vigorous head shakes during the fight that do the damage, rather than an initial strike. To split the rear join of the lure and free the hook requires a lot of linear force on the hook at the same time as a violent sideways jerk and twist from a head shake to open up the lure. It's usually ones that have caught a few fish that fail for me.

I still use them trolling for snapper. I find the 10cm 4m deep diver in black/silver to be perfect for snapper around the Altona reefs and it usually gets hit before a TDD7 or 9.
0408 565 763
mazman
Lord of the fish

Post by mazman »

shane wrote:
mazman wrote:is it the crunch of the hit or just shear pressure mid fight that's causing them to break? I have three myself and have caught a decent amount of fish on them without an issue so far.

Cheers Alex
It's large snapper and their vigorous head shakes during the fight that do the damage, rather than an initial strike. To split the rear join of the lure and free the hook requires a lot of linear force on the hook at the same time as a violent sideways jerk and twist from a head shake to open up the lure. It's usually ones that have caught a few fish that fail for me.

I still use them trolling for snapper. I find the 10cm 4m deep diver in black/silver to be perfect for snapper around the Altona reefs and it usually gets hit before a TDD7 or 9.
Thanks shane, might stop using them for jewfish, pretty sure they have a good enough headshake to break them. Will continue to use them for snapper though because as you said they get the job done
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

mazman wrote:
shane wrote:

Cheers Alex

Thanks shane, might stop using them for jewfish, pretty sure they have a good enough headshake to break them. Will continue to use them for snapper though because as you said they get the job done
I like that one!! Blame shane if you loose the fish of a life time :thumbsup:
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
mazman
Lord of the fish

Post by mazman »

Wind Waker wrote:
mazman wrote:
shane wrote:is it the crunch of the hit or just shear pressure mid fight that's causing them to break? I have three myself and have caught a decent amount of fish on them without an issue so far.

Cheers Alex

I like that one!! Blame shane if you loose the fish of a life time :thumbsup:
Already got a jewie on one but I don't want to risk losing one in the future. While a big snapper would be nice they aren't a fish of a lifetime to me.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

My first Berkley Frenzy FS6. This poor little bugger caught about 60 pike, dozens of couta, several rock flatties, trevally, salmon and even a parrotfish.