One for the diver's bucket list......

Into yak based Diving? Talk about it here!
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Re: One for the diver's bucket list......

Post by CrazyChenski »

Mmmmmm..... I was contemplating about sacrifice one say of SWR trip for diving..... Maybe i really shouls. Especially the day where it was really pouring down...

Need to remember that next year. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: dorado, espri

Post by SurfanFish »

CrazyChenski wrote:Mmmmmm..... I was contemplating about sacrifice one say of SWR trip for diving..... Maybe i really shouls. Especially the day where it was really pouring down...

Need to remember that next year. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Its well worth it mate. The video doesn't do the site justice. You need to pick a day with good visibility and hope no one in your group baulks at the entrance.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Thanks for sharing the video Rob.
When I read Shane & Co were going to SWR I looked up info about the area and read about fish rock.
Definately is one for my bucket list.
I figure if Shane & co can go fishing on their yaks many ks off shore chasing Marlin near there, Yak Divers could paddle or peddle there and go for a dive.
A dive charter would probably be the go but is it feasable to yak out to the site for a dive ?
Maybe VYAK SWR 2016 could include diving.
Did you go through the cave and come out the other side ?
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Jacko wrote:Thanks for sharing the video Rob.
When I read Shane & Co were going to SWR I looked up info about the area and read about fish rock.
I figure if Shane & co can go fishing on their yaks many ks off shore chasing Marlin near there, Yak Divers could paddle or peddle there and go for a dive.
A dive charter would probably be the go but is it feasable to yak out to the site for a dive ?
Jacko,
We went and checked out Fish Rock from the height of Smokey Cape lighthouse. It's an amazing place, we could see a huge bust-up through the binoculars that went on for ages. However we could also clearly see the current lines from the east Australian current around the rock. Despite the sizable east swell, all the waves on the rock were from the current side. It really rips through there such that a yak wouldn't be a great choice to reach it. Probably best to stick to a dive charter that knows the areas and can take you through safely.
Shane
0408 565 763
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by SurfanFish »

Jacko.

I'll answer this with my opinion as I don't have the definitive answers and do not profess to be an expert. You should research further and consider taking this with a grain of salt.

You typically need to do this in 2 dives for the best experience. Shark Gutter, then Fish Rock Cave. Shark Gutter is a 30m dive so needs to be done first. Diving among the Grey Nurse community is quite surreal and if you are going to the effort, you wouldn't want to miss that. We also saw a 3m bull shark - perhaps a different experience to surreal but in open clear water, they are not so much of a threat (apparently). On the second dive, we entered the cave at the 24m entrance, up through the second chimney, along and out into the 'aquarium' at the shallow end of the cave - the aquarium is special as well. Hard to single out any one highlight, its all pretty good. Even entering the darkness has its appeal and there is a lot of life in there to experience via torch. I prefer Nitrox for these types of dives.
cave-cross-section.jpg
In terms of doing this via kayak, I'm not sure whether local operators have exclusive permits or exclusive access to the moorings but going in guided for the first few times at least would be very wise. To be honest, you are looking at two activities that need a fair degree of respect in their own right, especially at that location, so I'd keep them separate. These dives are reasonably safe if you have the right experience and understand the hazards but I wouldn't call them 'tame'. Some people do struggle with the sharks and dark enclosed places but the real issues are surge inside the cave that can smack you about a bit and negotiating currents at several points outside. From time to time divers do end getting caught in a current and have to surface and wait for a boat to pick them up. Much easier with the experience of the local operators and not all that expensive.

I've been offshore a number of times at a place 1/2 hour South of SWR but pick my times as I'm always solo when up there. I feel more comfortable minimalist in open water, so only take 1 rod, a few lures and safety gear.

I'm up there in March surfing and bass fishing but will likely do these dives again, they were that good.

Hope this adds some value.

EDIT: Just saw Shane's comment above. Its in line with my thinking.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

shane wrote:
Jacko wrote:Thanks for sharing the video Rob.
Jacko,
We went and checked out Fish Rock from the height of Smokey Cape lighthouse. It's an amazing place, we could see a huge bust-up through the binoculars that went on for ages. However we could also clearly see the current lines from the east Australian current around the rock. Despite the sizable east swell, all the waves on the rock were from the current side. It really rips through there such that a yak wouldn't be a great choice to reach it. Probably best to stick to a dive charter that knows the areas and can take you through safely.
Shane
Thanks Shane & Rob,
The only info I had when I asked the question was the location and distance from shore using google maps satelite view, the underwater photos the charter groups (SWR dive shop & Fish Rock dive shop) have on their web sites and Robs Video.
Certainly sounds like combining the risk of kayaking off shore with the risks of "advanced" diving is not a good idea and probably not feasable.
Thanks for informing me.
A charter that knows the area would definitely be the go.
yakhangger
Lord of the fish
kayak: cool kayak, Hobie Outback !! Adventure Island

Post by yakhangger »

Funny that this should come up on here...only a week after the first post went up Harbour Dive has put up on their web page that they are doing a trip up there at the end of the year...check it out if your keen to dive there seems like a great trip. :thumbsup:
PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by SurfanFish »

Did these dives again this week. Only 10m vis this time but still amazing in different ways. The GN's came in a lot closer, more turtles, morays, kingies and crays about, plus the usual tropicals. Even had a hammerhead come in for a quick look. Video malfunctioned so no decent footage. Will just have do this again next trip up. :thumbsup:

It would be nice to see Fish Rock Cave sectioned off as a marine santuary. Plenty of other good fishing in the area.

No disrepect to clubs (I'm a member of one) but if your club timing doesn't suit, just book in with one of the local operators. They look after their customers really well and will find you a buddy.
yakhangger
Lord of the fish
kayak: cool kayak, Hobie Outback !! Adventure Island

Post by yakhangger »

Guess what I got for my birthday :?: :?: I'm going up with HD in October with the club to do a 4day dive trip...can't wait

I love my wife :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
SurfanFish
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by SurfanFish »

You'll really enjoy it Merv. Fair chance I'll be back up here in Sept/Oct so will go around another time.