Fish Finder Installation

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Pinoyatoz
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Compass

Fish Finder Installation

Post by Pinoyatoz »

I'm going to try and install my Hook2 Tripleshot fish finder on my Hobie Compass this weekend.
I believe I'm going to need a 25mm and 32mm hole saw? If so, is it worth buying them considering I'm only going to use them once?
Any advise from anyone in regards to the installation would be much appreciated.
Cheers, Manny
benc120382
kayak: 4.3

Re: Fish Finder Installation

Post by benc120382 »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y_NrpH3tRZo

You can get the cheap holesaw packs at Bunnings for about $20 that come with drill arbor and a variety of sizes.
Pinoyatoz

Post by Pinoyatoz »

I did watch that Youtube video. However, my transducer is longer than shown on the video. Hence, I believe I need to buy another part for me to be able to mount the tripleshot transducer.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a cheap holesaw set at Bunnings with the right hole sizes I need. Please let me know if I missed it.
Thanks so much Ben.
benc120382
kayak: 4.3

Post by benc120382 »

SLH in Mornington should have the TripleShot mounts best give them a call
Pinoyatoz

Post by Pinoyatoz »

Will do Ben... Cheers mate!
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Your hobie is an older version? Should have triple shot ready if 2019 if not you might try looking at the BerleyPro sitehe makes after market adapters to suit older models the sidescan/view requires the transducer to be on the outside of the extremities of the bottom of the hull look up the 2019 model for the dropdown lawrence ready transducer mount this will give you an idea where it meant to sit, hobie makes an adapter plate however this does not have a protective cover but in saying that one of the issues with the BerleyPro covers is they hold sand in them which i haven't found the foolproof way to minimize that as yet with mine but i would rather have it covered that not given the replacement cost of the transducer.

The BerleyPro covers are quick and easy to fit, if you dont want to use a cover you can just drill and cut the hobie transducer cover to fit the cable and unbolt the transducer from the lawrance mount (if you can, mine is garmin so it was easy) then just bolt the transducer straight to the hobie cover and away you go. Hope this helps and is not confusing ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Pinoyatoz

Post by Pinoyatoz »

I've got the 2019 Compass with the 180 Arc MD. I just bought the BerleyPro tripleshot transducer mount from SLH. Hence, it should make the installation simpler. I just need a 25mm and 32mm holesaw and I should be good. Thanks again Pete... I'm looking forward to catching a fish or two with you soon.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Why do yo need hole saws? If you have the mounting hardware you should only need a screw driver.
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Pinoyatoz

Post by Pinoyatoz »

For a clean install... I need to feed the transducer wire back in to the hull via the 25mm hole and then the battery and transducer wires out through the 32mm hole. The Hobie Lowrance ready kit already contains the 25mm and 32mm wire plugs.

I hope you are not confusing the 2019 Outback against the 2019 Compass? The 2019 Outback is fully Fish Finder ready whereas the 2019 Compass is partly ready since you still have to drill the holes and use the wire plugs provided in the Hobie small parts kit.
Last edited by Pinoyatoz on 25 Nov 2019, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Oh, doesn't the compass come with the holes and cable seals already near the transducer scupper hole and up the front like tge other models? Soz for my ignorance as tbh I've never taken notice of those parts of the compass :(
20191125_120036-2448x1377.jpg
transducer scupper hole and cable plug
20191125_120109-1377x2448.jpg
cable plug front, one each side. Although my yaks a PA 14 and im not sure what size the holes are.

Not saying your not capable of the installation but it just seems cutting holes in your new hobie shouldn't be required being lawrance ready ;) anyways ill shut up now lol