mantis shrimp presentation

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Rawprawn
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Howie pa

mantis shrimp presentation

Post by Rawprawn »

hi lads

landed 15 keeper gummys at lang lang across 3 trips (only kept bag limits)
most were caught on fish/eel but found mantis to be the most effective
i lost a number of fish who bit down and even ran on the mantis before losing

first time i had best sucess hooking was on a single 6/0 suicide

i then went to 8/0 wide gapes as it looked to be better presented but definately worse hook up rate even though more exposed hook

i usually use 2 sneeled 6/0 suicides or a single 7/0 circle with flesh or squid baits

how do the majority of guys present the mantis
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: mantis shrimp presentation

Post by peatop »

Athough i haven't use shrimp for gummies (yet) I've used snelled but found a single 6/0 circle works the best for me with hookup rate probably around 90-95% possibly higher on squid, eel, salmon and gar, i set my drag to pretty much 0 once the baits taken i grab the rod, hold the spool and let the rod do the work and tighten the drag. But im interested in how to use prawn/shrimp as this has been a question im yet to ask :thumbsup:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
greggo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by greggo »

Where do you get the Mantis shrimp from?
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

When using prawns for bait for gummies, I usually am using 4/0 or 5/0 circle hooks. I pierce the prawn in the area near the tail and feed the hook up towards the head, coming out about halfway along the prawn. A half hitch around the tail holds them from sliding down the hook.
benc120382
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 4.3

Post by benc120382 »

greggo wrote:Where do you get the Mantis shrimp from?
Footscray market you can always find them there.
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

happyas wrote:When using prawns for bait for gummies, I usually am using 4/0 or 5/0 circle hooks. I pierce the prawn in the area near the tail and feed the hook up towards the head, coming out about halfway along the prawn. A half hitch around the tail holds them from sliding down the hook.
Now you've got me thinking Larry. I too use a circle (usually 6/0 or 7/0), but have always taken the head off a prawn and fed the hook in from the head end, coming out just before the tail fin (which I usually snap off). I'm wondering if I've been doing it the wrong way round all this time :shock:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

outback paul wrote:
happyas wrote:When using prawns for bait for gummies, I usually am using 4/0 or 5/0 circle hooks. I pierce the prawn in the area near the tail and feed the hook up towards the head, coming out about halfway along the prawn. A half hitch around the tail holds them from sliding down the hook.
Now you've got me thinking Larry. I too use a circle (usually 6/0 or 7/0), but have always taken the head off a prawn and fed the hook in from the head end, coming out just before the tail fin (which I usually snap off). I'm wondering if I've been doing it the wrong way round all this time :shock:
You know your doing it right if they don't screem :evilgrin:
benc120382 wrote:
footscray market burnt down, i never saw them there not that i was looking, was a great place to buy fresh produce though :lol:
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

peatop wrote: footscray market burnt down, i never saw them there not that i was looking, was a great place to buy fresh produce though :lol:
Only Little Saigon market burnt down, Footscray market is still going strong.
Last edited by Seasherpa on 05 Feb 2020, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
greggo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by greggo »

benc120382 wrote:
Thanks for that. I wasn't sure if it was something you could catch fresh locally.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

greggo wrote:
benc120382 wrote:
Thanks for that. I wasn't sure if it was something you could catch fresh locally.
Greg out your way i think Springvale is the place to get them, not sure about dandenong, maybe Cheater or someone else over yoir way can thow some light on where :thumbsup:

There are videos on YouTube on how to net them but be careful handling them ;) they are known as thumb splitters :wtf: