Glenelg river wind/tides issue

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
JackyTKayak
kayak: An old tanker

Glenelg river wind/tides issue

Post by JackyTKayak »

Hey there folks,

Jack here :)

I've done a bit of yakking due to growing up on the Goulburn and some bigger trips up the Glenelg.
Was wondering if anyone has ever done a trip going from Dartmoor end to Nelson at all?
How was it?
My friend did it once and said the incoming tides + winds made it really unpleasant to row and hard to fish too.
I'd def prefer to go Nelson on up again but why I ask re the opposite route is the potential of a state border closure when we plan to go in Early Feb.

I spoke to Chris at Nelson Canoes and he said last time no one could go upstream from Nelson due to that part of the river cutting briefly into South Australia *rolls eyes*
He also said that Dartmoor to Pines landing was too full of sticks etc to start there.

So yeah, if anyone has any trip reports on going from Pines on down (in order to stay in Victoria) then id really appreciate it!
Especially any good fishing spots along the way! :)
Ive caught a big bass there last time but never snagged a Mulla!

Also side note, looking for my first proper inflatable fishing kayak, but so far cant find a single store in Melbs that stocks them. (Just those Challenger K1 n 2s which seem too basic/too small for me at 5.10 height).
Please direct me to the right thread as the search function here is very cumbersome to open each thread/collate info.

Cheers!
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: Glenelg river wind/tides issue

Post by maverick »

Have you tried Scott Lovig Hobie for an inflatable? Can't help with the info about the Glenelg.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
JackyTKayak
kayak: An old tanker

Re: Glenelg river wind/tides issue

Post by JackyTKayak »

Thanks heaps for the kayak tip mate, will check out