Pelican Catch 110 Hydryve II thoughts?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
wem21
kayak: Don't own a kayak, looking to buy one

Pelican Catch 110 Hydryve II thoughts?

Post by wem21 »

Hi guys,

Thinking of getting this yak... https://paddlesports.capacitysports.com ... hydryve-ii
Will be using it on the bay and westernport, only when winds are under 10-11 knots
Would it be safe? assuming I had all the other safety gear and all
How much of a difference would there be between this 3.2m yak and the 3.8m version?

Thanks guys :)
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Re: Pelican Catch 110 Hydryve II thoughts?

Post by outback paul »

Welcome to the forum mate.
In calm conditions a shorter kayak would not be a problem, but be aware that both the bays can chop up pretty quickly, and often without much warning. Personally I would always spend the extra dollars to have the extra length. It will ride more smoothly at anchor (and that's probably what you'll be doing if you fish Westernport), You will also find the extra length helps with the tracking (going in a straight line) of the kayak, particularly if you are side on to the wind. You will certainly have a greater margin of safety if things go pear shaped in the longer yak. All the best for a safe successful adventure :thumbsup:
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

Just a thought.
It might be worth having a look around for a secondhand Hobie Outback or Revo, as you should be able to find a pretty decent one for under $2000
wem21
kayak: Don't own a kayak, looking to buy one

Post by wem21 »

outback paul wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 14:57 Welcome to the forum mate.
In calm conditions a shorter kayak would not be a problem, but be aware that both the bays can chop up pretty quickly, and often without much warning. Personally I would always spend the extra dollars to have the extra length. It will ride more smoothly at anchor (and that's probably what you'll be doing if you fish Westernport), You will also find the extra length helps with the tracking (going in a straight line) of the kayak, particularly if you are side on to the wind. You will certainly have a greater margin of safety if things go pear shaped in the longer yak. All the best for a safe successful adventure :thumbsup:
ok alright, thanks for the advice ! ill be sure to have a look at second hand hobies too
craigcole10
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Stealth Profisha 475

Post by craigcole10 »

Whilst I'm not a hobie person and don't intend to get into the pedal scene just yet, if I was then I would probably choose a hobie as the pedal drive does seem to be the best out there.

Have a word with capacity sports as it looks like they are selling a 2nd revo on marketplace for less than your budget.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... tory_share