Paddle v Pedal kayak.

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!

What kayak did you start with and what do you have now?

I started with a paddle kayak and moved to a pedal kayak.
25%
I started with and stayed with a pedal kayak.
25%
I started with and stayed with a paddle kayak.
17%
I started with a pedal kayak and moved to a paddle kayak.
8%
I started with a paddle kayak and moved to a pedal kayak, but I should have started with the pedal kayak.
4%
I started with a pedal kayak and moved to a paddle kayak, but I should have started with the paddle kayak.
No votes
I have a paddle kayak and will change to a pedal kayak in the future.
No votes
I have a pedal kayak and will change to a paddle kayak in the future.
No votes
I have a pedal kayak because injury prevents me having otherwise.
No votes
I have a paddle kayak because injury prevents me having otherwise.
No votes
I don't have a kayak because I am a sook and my wife won't let me.
No votes
I want to get a kayak, I am just not sure which yet.
No votes
Stuff kayaks I have a boat.
4%
I have Pedal & a Paddle kayaks.
17%

Total votes: 24

rayso
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Adventure Island

Re: Paddle v Pedal kayak.

Post by rayso »

Started with revo peddle powered to test the water so to speak. The following year upgraded to an Adventure Island Peddle sail. I can now stay on the water longer and travel further. Being able to move around on the AI to elliminate lower back pain and access all points on the yak is a bonus, something I couldn't do in the revo. Cursed tradies back. The additional stability of the AI is also handy as a safety factor, a lot of the time there is no one else about. Just love country living.
It's more fun doing it on a yak and even more fun with a sail
0429 622004
l2andom
Square eyes
kayak: Adventure Island, WildySys T140, Outback

Post by l2andom »

rayso wrote:Started with revo peddle powered to test the water so to speak. The following year upgraded to an Adventure Island Peddle sail. I can now stay on the water longer and travel further. Being able to move around on the AI to elliminate lower back pain and access all points on the yak is a bonus, something I couldn't do in the revo. Cursed tradies back. The additional stability of the AI is also handy as a safety factor, a lot of the time there is no one else about. Just love country living.

AI is my next go, looks like I'm following some footsteps :thumbsup: .
Deefa
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie TI & 3.6m paddle yak

Post by Deefa »

It will be hard to regret buying an AI, as long as you realise its a little harder to fish from - you have to bring the fish in either in front of or behind the aka bars (or pull an outrigger in). However, as you get up, turn around and kneel on the seat its no biggie. I never felt unstable on my paddle yak, but am heaps more confident in the AI - especially noticed it after dark.
Although its heavy, I'm looking forward to paddling the AI hull - it should almost be capable of a back-beach launch in good (low swell) conditions, and there are lots of fish off some of our back beaches on the peninsula and the surrounding reefs.
tonystott
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Tandem Island

Post by tonystott »

Pulling in an ama is so easy I hardly think about it, and I have the biggerTI, where the aka brace runs back rather than forward. This is a little less convenient than on the AI, where the brace is right next to you.

I then just swing a leg over the ama to hold it in momentarily, or use its locating bungee to lock it in if necessary.
2012 Hobie Tandem Island
"SIC EM"
SteveoTheTiger
Apprentice
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by SteveoTheTiger »

I started in a paddle yak about a year ago. I would have preferred a peddle yak but i couldnt justify the extra cost on something that i may or may not use.

A year down the track i love my kayak and am totally happy with my purchase and as it turns out i do get to use it a fair bit, but if i ever get the chance to upgrade i would still like to go the peddle route. Ideally i would love to get an AI because they look like so much fun and you can use them as a stand alone yak too if you wish.
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Still have the same paddle yak I started with. It's hard work in anything over a 15 knot headwind, but I get there... eventually! :lol:

I don't think I would be as strong and fit as I am now if it wasn't for paddling. I enjoy the physical effort and exercise as much as fishing. Its only during snapper season that I wouldn't mind getting to the mark a little quicker but the old blimp is such a comfortable fishing platform that I haven't been tempted by anything else... except for a Kaskazi Dorado II :evilgrin:.

I tried a friends fast yak a little while ago and blitzed (for my 45 y/o body... :lol: ) 2kms in a 12-17 knot headwind in around 10 mins... which was a buzz - made me yearn for a bit of pace... but... if I was just bobbing around drifting for flatties it wouldn't be anywhere near as comfortable as the blimp. Horses for courses.
Paulie walnuts
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie revo 13

Post by Paulie walnuts »

Only had a pedal and still relatively new to it all, but I head to noosa a bit as the outlaw lives there. Given how S#!^ the revo is on surf, I have been eyeing off the stealth range. Am headin up there this sat and have already shipped the yak up there, pending how many times I end up swimming, I may be the first to tick the peddle then paddle box on the survey.
paulhunter
Apprentice
kayak: AI

Post by paulhunter »

you left out sail for us islander owners :down: lol
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Well after 5 years + of paddling I took my first pedal today - yes that right Cheater was on a Hobie , with the lack of fish today at Ventnor Fish Grylls ( Tas ) and myself traded places
Tas has an older Revo and after some instructions on how to get the drive in and out and how the rudder system did its thing I was off and racing - Paddled out a bit ( Tas could do with a better paddle by the way ) the drive installed and I was off

First thing I noticed was how hard it was , My legs were stuffed in no time ( no doubt you have to build up to it )

I have a new respect for those guys that push these thing along I found it damm hard work and nowhere near as relaxing as paddling
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Mirage drive takes up a lot of real estate on the yak too. Guess thats why the wider yaks are popular for fishos.

Main difference I find with pedalling is that you just turn off and almost do it absent mindedly without thinking when you are just cruising.