Page 1 of 4

Aquayak Ranger??

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 16:22
by freshwaterfella
G'day fellow kayak fishers.
I am thinking about purchasing an aquayak ranger but am still a little unsure. I am wanting to know a bit more information before spending $1000 of a kayak. I will be fishing for murray cod and yellowbelly in impoundments and occasionally rivers (wide ones) and seldom saltwater rivers and enclosed bays. I will be looking to take 1-2 rods and small a landing net as well as plenty of lures (cause you can never have enough lures right). I am upgrading from a BCF glide mahi sit on top which is quickly getting too small. So I would like a fair bit of capacity.
Anybody who has a ranger/has used one are they a decent fishing yak. Are they worth buying and if not do you have any other recommendations of some good fishing yaks preferably around the same price range (highest price being about $1300 bucks).
Thanks for you help. :thumbsup: :up:

Re: Aquayak Ranger??

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 16:45
by Hvalross
For serious lure fishing in fresh water you really NEED to be able to stand. I am sure that others will disagree, but consider this, yak gives you stealth, many of the target species can be found at the right time in shallows around snags. Poleroiding for likely snags and waiting fish requires you to be able to sight fish.....sitting at near water level is not going to deliver fully on that.

Re: Aquayak Ranger??

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 16:50
by freshwaterfella
Hvalross wrote:For serious lure fishing in fresh water you really NEED to be able to stand. I am sure that others will disagree, but consider this, yak gives you stealth, many of the target species can be found at the right time in shallows around snags. Poleroiding for likely snags and waiting fish requires you to be able to sight fish.....sitting at near water level is not going to deliver fully on that.

I will be fishing in areas that would be too deep to see the fish anyway. Do you still believe this is a major factor?? Is there any yaks out under $1300 you could stand in?? Do you have an opinion on the aquayak ranger??

Re: Aquayak Ranger??

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 17:07
by laneends
Wilderness ride 115 right on your budget

Re: Aquayak Ranger??

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 17:19
by Hvalross
freshwaterfella wrote:
Hvalross wrote:For serious lure fishing in fresh water you really NEED to be able to stand. I am sure that others will disagree, but consider this, yak gives you stealth, many of the target species can be found at the right time in shallows around snags. Poleroiding for likely snags and waiting fish requires you to be able to sight fish.....sitting at near water level is not going to deliver fully on that.

I will be fishing in areas that would be too deep to see the fish anyway. Do you still believe this is a major factor?? Is there any yaks out under $1300 you could stand in?? Do you have an opinion on the aquayak ranger??


Today maybe you are fishing deeper waters, as you progress along and discover what your new rig opens up to you would it not make sense to have the built in versatility. @laneends has an option for you, may even be others, take a bit of time and see what this post brings,

Enjoy

Re: Aquayak Ranger??

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 17:21
by laneends
Apart from the PAs any yak that is designed to stand in inevitably compromises open water handling, but that is not a big deal if you are definately going to be restricting to freshwater applications.

Keep in mind even on large impounds wind and chop can still be an issue, and the ranger is a wind catcher. Nath (Gusfitzroy) had an aquayak (maybe still has it), send him a PM if you want an opinion.

Steve (Redyak) has a ride 115, he maybe could advise on them.

As mentioned flexibility is important as intentions are all well and good, but not always adhered to.

Re: Aquayak Ranger??

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 17:31
by freshwaterfella
laneends wrote:Nath (Gusfitzroy) had an aquayak (maybe still has it), send him a PM if you want an opinion.

Steve (Redyak) has a ride 115, he maybe could advise on them.
.

Thanks I'll get on to both of them for opinions

Re: Aquayak Ranger??

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 17:36
by freshwaterfella
laneends wrote:Wilderness ride 115 right on your budget

Clicked on your link and found another wilderness systems yak called the perception prescador angler 12. it looks like a roomy yak

Re: Aquayak Ranger??

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 17:58
by Hvalross
freshwaterfella wrote:
laneends wrote:Wilderness ride 115 right on your budget

Clicked on your link and found another wilderness systems yak called the perception prescador angler 12. it looks like a roomy yak


Looking at reviews they say this yak is too narrow for stand up fishing?

Re: Aquayak Ranger??

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 18:04
by laneends
TBH anything other than mill pond conditions probably needs a PA for most blokes.