New Stealth Fusion 480

Got an review on your kayak? Post it here!
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: New Stealth Fusion 480

Post by Seasherpa »

cheaterparts wrote:
Seasherpa wrote:
laneends wrote:Sharper nose and slightly narrower and lighter than a bare hull adventure, should be enough edge for me to catch a glass stealth in one :evilgrin:
Especially if it is my fat ass in the glass :lol:
does that arse still fit in glass my guess the arse beam is wider that the glass beam
The bucket is definitely more snug but there must be some bigger because I still slide around in the V8
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

Bit more info released on the fusion for those that may be interested:

Joshua
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2011 Red AI - 2014 Dune Outback

Post by Joshua »

They certainly are attractive at that price point.
I've certainly considered one, although I'm not a huge fan of the shared hull space.
The storage hatch being independently sealed is in my view one of the major draw cards for the stealth.
I'm keen to see what the speed difference is between the glass kayaks. No doubt the channels on the bottom will add some drag but I assume they will also add some amount of stability side to side.

I'm tossing up between a stealth or a newer AI (The old model is just too wet for it to be enjoyable in cold weather)
tough choice!
Thanks for sharing Eoin. Have many been sold yet sight unseen?
Best catch - Stingray on a hard-body
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

Joshua wrote:
I'm keen to see what the speed difference is between the glass kayaks. No doubt the channels on the bottom will add some drag but I assume they will also add some amount of stability side to side.
Yes it certainly won't be as fast as the glass skis, as well as having less glide being plastic it is also wider than the skis, but I guess it's like the joke about the guys in the Serengeti running from the lion, the fusion doesn't have to be as fast as the skis, it just has to be faster than the other plastics in the offshore market.
In terms of the chines they will add a small amount of drag, as do scuppers for that matter but rather than secondary stability, the main gain is lateral rigidity large flat areas on kayaks are subject to flex so the chines allow you to have a longer kayak without having to go super thick on the plastic.
Joshua wrote:
Have many been sold yet sight unseen?
All of the orange ones in the container are pre-sold we still have some green and yellows up for grabs.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

As far as speed is concerned it comes down to how far you are looking to travel. ie top speed is not so important rather the effort required to maintain a fast cruise over longer distances. I can paddle an adventure close to the speed of a glass yak, but the effort to do so it is draining due to the drop in glide. Its not even just the weight its the drag and extra width. Overall dimensions of a fusion is not a lot different to an adventure it just has a pointer nose and and not quite as heavy

Yes its going to be a better option than most 15'+ plastic kayaks, but then how popular are 15'+ plastic paddle yaks in Vic? Unless you have a good reason for a long plastic kayak you may end up wishing you skipped that step and went straight for glass if you are going to be hauling long distance, most offshore guys travel a fair distance in a days fishing. Of course its almost half the price, so if you want a shiny new boat that is a big factor.

That said its on my coat of thinking about list as I cant be trusted to not break stuff on rocks. The other plus of course is that you have the option of river running if you ever want, with the overstern rudder option
Joshua

Post by Joshua »

laneends wrote:As far as speed is concerned it comes down to how far you are looking to travel.

The other plus of course is that you have the option of river running if you ever want, with the overstern rudder option
My family and I love doing east coast road trips and we plan on continuing to do them at least once a year if we are ever allowed to leave our homes again.

Earlier this year I took the AI which was great in some of the larger river systems lightly sailing about with the wife and kids up the river for coffee every morning, but launching the AI at Palm Beach in surf to chase spanish was an effort to say the least. Not withstanding there is no way to easily stow rods, I see a stealth in my future.

The added benefit of being able to fit all my tackle in hull and then roof top with a lock rack is a significant advantage over hauling the 100+kgs that is the AI on a trailer.

I've tossed up the idea of just hiring a 525 when I get up there (About $300 for a few weeks (Which is a bargain in my view) But that means no kayaking at any other stops between Melb - Qld (Including SWR)
It also means I can't customise it with my own modifications and sounder etc, which is half the fun.

I've also considered just selling the OB, the AI and then buying a near new Revo 13, save on space, and it will cover about 90% of the fishing I do (PPB plastics, LL baits, Port Albert Whiting and holidays up the coast, But of course the Revo is the jack of all trades master of none in those styles and I wonder if it's worth the trade off when the OB covers 80% of my year round fishing perfectly (Mostly PPB lure fishing)

I'm starting to think it's probably easier just to take out another mortgage and have one of each style of kayak so I have all bases covered....

The fusion is attractive because of it's price point, although I'd prefer glass, it's much easier to find a good deal on a second hand 525 up north where they are frequently used.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

I'm selling my Fisha if you want a glass yak without forking out for a new one. $2200 with a fish finder and 4 rod holders.

Personally I've found having both a pedal yak and the Stealth to be a good combination and I reckon you'd be better off keeping your Hobie and getting something dedicated for offshore trips.
Joshua

Post by Joshua »

Thanks Ian!
I figure the best course is hire one on the next trip up north and see if it fits me OK first. No use spending 2-3k on something I'm only using for 4 weeks a year unless I know it's what I want.
Yeah I'll definitely keep at least the outback.
I wouldn't mind upgrading the AI to the 2015+ model.
Keeping dry might make it a more pleasurable experience.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Yeah the hired one a crack.

I contemplated an AI for a while, bloody heavy and a lot of setting up to do before you hit the water although you would be drier and cover more ground than you would in a Stealth