Surface lures, who is doing what

What lures are working and people's reviews and photos on what they have caught on them!
bigi
The force is strong in this one
kayak: hobie outback, red goes faster

Surface lures, who is doing what

Post by bigi »

Hey guys,
I've been throwing hard bodied diving lures around for 20+ years
3 years ago I got onto poppers for tailor and salmon.
Then onto trevally, GT and other pelagic, bass, bream, flathead and sand whiting using walkers.

Manalive it is just an awesome buzz watching your lure get nailed by fish rising, or boils occurring time and time again.

Over the past few years I have been introducing my now 10 yr old daughter onto lures, she just hadn't developed the motor skills necessary before then. Well last year she cast and cast soft plastics, nice and cheap no worries and this year I upgraded her rod combo and onto HB's divers and poppers. She got her first flatty on sub and then on the surface.
I was so proud and had a tear in my eye. Just terrific, anyway cut a long story short, her on the back of the yak and a few hours later nailed a 36cm bream off the top of some old oyster racks. She would have won biggest bream in the kids fishing comp if it was caught and released but I just had to let her weigh it in gutted and gilled. 100 grams short on best bream, bugger but she had a great time.
Anyway most my HB fishing has been NSW or Qld. And I must mention I have only just picked up SP's and having some success.

Now I'm in yak world I was hoping to hear of the surface fishing you guys in Melbourne do and hopefully pickup on a few locations and target fish. And also meet up for a bit of fun on the water. My next goal is an EP on surface to add to my list of species.

Where are u guys targeting Surface jumping bandits of any kind.
I am not a fart box
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Re: Surface lures, who is doing what

Post by Kingo »

I've been doin pretty well at ricketts in the mornings on salmon, generally I've found the fish head down deep after 8am when the boat traffic picks up.
I've found it's just a matter of locating a school which isn't too hard if your observant and fishing your surface lure amongst them, I prefer surface stick baits over poppers or other alternatives.
They tend to hang pretty close to the edge of the marine park if not in it
seagull
kayak: PA14

Post by seagull »

Try using small poppers for in shallow water this can be fun locopop i thnink there called.Basiclly any small poppers around the 50mm mark will be a good starting point.Try and get a clear body along with a fluro pink style with a bit of bright green in it.Have been whiting popping and general surface fishing for awhile now nothing better than seeing the fish smash your lure.

Cheerz Errol
Seagull Lures.In the shed maken saw dust and spraying.
mitchmcm
kayak: 2009 Hobie Outback

Post by mitchmcm »

i love surface fishing. i use them for trout, redfin, bream, EPs, salmon an anything else that will eat them. as for what i use surface wise there are pretty much only 4 lures. in order of favorites:

1: OSP bent minnow 76 (best lure on the market IMO, expensive though)
2: smith towadi
3: luckycraft Sammy 65 (very good on EPs in the Hopkins)
4: unweighted squidgy bugs killer on bream and EPs also redfin.
"The fishing was good it was the catching that was bad"
cobby
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie i9s

Post by cobby »

mitchmcm wrote:i love surface fishing. i use them for trout, redfin, bream, EPs, salmon an anything else that will eat them. as for what i use surface wise there are pretty much only 4 lures. in order of favorites:

1: OSP bent minnow 76 (best lure on the market IMO, expensive though)
2: smith towadi
3: luckycraft Sammy 65 (very good on EPs in the Hopkins)
4: unweighted squidgy bugs killer on bream and EPs also redfin.
And the 86 bent minnow goes alright. Then there's the Ecogear PX45/55. 45's are good for KGW but I haven't managed to keep a solid hookup, yet :eh: Megabass Siglett/Grand Siglett (Fur finish is dynamite!) and Dogx JR. Zipbaits Skinny Pop. Atomic K9/K9pup. Luckycraft NW Pencil. Tiemco Soft Shell Cicada and Tiny Cicada. Abrogast Jitterbugs. And the list continues on and on in all sizes.

EP's, Salmon, Bass, and Bream are fairly simple targets, they all hit with aggression when in the mood. As are Flathead when shallow enough. KGW are finicky pricks. Squid are insane when the tenticles come flailing out but never hookup in the 3 times it's happened to me. I'm hoping this year to nail Silver Trevally on surface, moreso as bycatch when targeting secret mud EP's. Late November-Mid April is the prime time
Drifta-X
Yak Master
kayak: 2010 hobie outback

Post by Drifta-X »

I got bout a dozen k9 pups and burkley *insert name here* think more the. 1 has touched the water?
Think I cought a fish?

Did have it tapped by I assume ep's at bemm but other then that nada
Just got to get out there out of my comfort some I think.
Getting the action right didn't take long, but I was standing on the bank, not sure how I would do it sitting down???

I actually just read your post properly.
You must be a very proud dad.
I'm not one to have kids but if I did in sure I would tear too on that one.
I survived the June 2012 Vyak server crash, just.
Reel obsession
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback ivory dune

Post by Reel obsession »

I find that the Berkley 3B hardbodies do the trick wel on bream, whiting, flatties etc in the estuaries. These two are my standouts :up:
image.jpg
Drifta-X
Yak Master
kayak: 2010 hobie outback

Post by Drifta-X »

Hahaha i think I got both of them.
Ill go get em and photoine now lol

Dang thought I had more, bout to take pic.
Got 2xscum dog
6x k9 pup
2x k9

I survived the June 2012 Vyak server crash, just.