Smoked yakka

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
2rsea
The force is strong in this one
kayak: AI, Adventure, Outback, Kingfisher, OK Frenzy

Smoked yakka

Post by 2rsea »

Went out in the stinka in westernport recently & ended up with a big school of yakka's at the back of the boat. Had a ball catching them for a while as they were decent ones (37cm) released most but kept half a doz for bait & I wanted to put some thru the smoker. Result was pretty good- just did a very basic brine this time but in future I think they would take some more robust flavours well, chilli, garlic etc. Added 2 of the smoked fillets to some Greek yogurt,sour cream, tomato relish & paprika to make a very tasty dip too. Has anyone tried anything else with these fish? At the risk of being called a bait eater maybe there's some potential for these things!
Drifta-X
Yak Master
kayak: 2010 hobie outback

Re: Smoked yakka

Post by Drifta-X »

I was thinking similar with slimey mac
I survived the June 2012 Vyak server crash, just.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

What drifta said.

Cheater has been pickling a fair bit of fish, yakka fillets may go ok in that.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Kiwidundee
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback...Thunder Child

Post by Kiwidundee »

After a long trip in Westernport I went straight to bed to get some sleep before going to work. When I got up my wife had not only cleaned my snapper but the mackerel I had brought home for bait. Ended up cooking them on the BBQ in Indonesian spices and they were really nice.
I like slimmies better though.
My mobile 0428917691

PB...Snapper 81cm Ricketts Point, Black Marlin bigger than your yak SWR, Flathead 60cm Sunnyside, Whiting 46cm Flinders, Gummy shark 124cm Reef Island, Sth Calamari 41cm hood length Flinders.
neilmny
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outfitter 2010 (Yum Yum)

Post by neilmny »

Livin' the dream Craig :thumbsup:
Jules
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: ... Back to my humble sit in

Post by Jules »

Kiwidundee wrote:After a long trip in Westernport I went straight to bed to get some sleep before going to work. When I got up my wife had not only cleaned my snapper but the mackerel I had brought home for bait. Ended up cooking them on the BBQ in Indonesian spices and they were really nice.

Good wife you have lol
Kiwidundee
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback...Thunder Child

Post by Kiwidundee »

Jules wrote:
Kiwidundee wrote:After a long trip in Westernport I went straight to bed to get some sleep before going to work. When I got up my wife had not only cleaned my snapper but the mackerel I had brought home for bait. Ended up cooking them on the BBQ in Indonesian spices and they were really nice.

Good wife you have lol
Doesn't everyones wife/girlfriend clean their kayak after a big day at sea?:-) :o :o :o
My mobile 0428917691

PB...Snapper 81cm Ricketts Point, Black Marlin bigger than your yak SWR, Flathead 60cm Sunnyside, Whiting 46cm Flinders, Gummy shark 124cm Reef Island, Sth Calamari 41cm hood length Flinders.