Ultimate Trailer Design - By committee

Dibbles
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: PA12

Ultimate Trailer Design - By committee

Post by Dibbles »

So reading through the latet posts and over the history of the forum, the question keeps popping up of trailer types and design and vic roads regs :shock: , as it recently has as per this link :

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 0&start=10

So I am in the process of designing a trailer and thought that as we as a committe ,have designed everything from squid jigs to lures it was time for some opinion on what would b the untilate trailer design and accessories.

Now i know there are a lot of photos on the net and on this forum, but no one ever tells you what they would have and not have done to their trailer.

SO i shall start:

1 . Enclosed - protection against dust, tar, water and dirt comming off the road, it can be set up ready to pull out, security- locked up
for this was thinking aluminuim sheeting thin .6 as its only a skin
side opening like cheaterparts, so that it can be secured

2. 2 Yak Carrier - big enough to transport 2 yaks, one on top and the other inside

3. Floor - aluminium so that it can be wasded out without rusting the floor out

4. side box - like rhinos, with pressure pump for washing down and cleaning hands

5. rod holders- inside in tubes to stop tips etc being broken off

6 led lights - inside and on the outside so that you can set up in the morning/ night and see whats going on

7 steel frame -like box section - 50 x 100 so its strong and can handle dirt tracks etc when getting off the road

thats what i have at the moment- any comments welcome
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: Ultimate Trailer Design - By committee

Post by cheaterparts »

Dibbles wrote:
1 . Enclosed - protection against dust, tar, water and dirt comming off the road, it can be set up ready to pull out, security- locked up

0.6 aly would not be very secure - that would be quite easy to cut a hole through --- I use 1.6 steel sheet myself , yes it can rust but it's cheap and fairly strong

2. 2 Yak Carrier - big enough to transport 2 yaks, one on top and the other inside

there are a few ways you can go about that , I have to make up a rack for the top of mine for this season as the gumpy one will be coming out on my old Kingfisher this season ( a long as she has the lawn mowed )

3. Floor - aluminium so that it can be washed out without rusting the floor out

quite offen I have seen the frame rust out before the floor on trailers - they are made out of thicker steel than a car so will take longer to rust out -- just try paint it will keep the rust at bay for some time on a steel floor
also how dit you intend to fit the aly to the steel frame

4. side box - like rhinos, with pressure pump for washing down and cleaning hands

I like this Idea I dont have any rod tubes in my trailer and just had to fit an end runner to one of my rods this week - mind you this was a $9 Ebay rod I use for Gummies and it was 4 years old

6 led lights - inside and on the outside so that you can set up in the morning/ night and see whats going on

Something I have not set up but I also need to put some lighting inside both the box and inside the yak compartment -- I was just going to take a tapping off the tail light circuit to a switch so I could only power up the inside lights when the parkers were on in the car

7 steel frame -like box section - 50 x 100 so its strong and can handle dirt tracks etc when getting off the road

are you transporting kayaks or Tanks --- 40 x 40 x 2.5 or 50 x 50 x 2.5 Sq section would be strong enough with ether 65 x 35 x 3 or 75 x 50 x 3 for the draw bar

thats what i have at the moment- any comments welcome
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

You can get 1.6 aluminium sheet for about $90 from aluminium Direct in Geelong or use 3mm ACM sheeting(various colours) light and never have to paint.

Yep

3. Floor - aluminium so that it can be washed out without rusting the floor out
On my floor I used Zincalume sheeting.

Wouldn't bother with the wash down stuff personally, maybe handy to have somewhere to wash hands, that's about it.

I have a rod tube under the ute, used to be in the trailer but I don't always take the trailer.

I have LEDs in my trailer boxes set up with car door switches (HQ holden type) , open the box they are on, close it and they are off....no forgetting to turn off.

Holey S#!^, my heavy camper trailer hasn't even got a frame that heavy.....Waaaay overkill. Draw bar wouldn't need to be any more than 50 x 75 & 50 x 50 frame.

[/quote]
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Probably a given, but the ability to carry both right way up allows you to have the yaks semi- setup in transit
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

I prefer Rhinos setup (and how I've used a trailer) that carries 3 yaks. One flat in the base, one flat above on bars and one (outback/quest etc) on its side against the uprights for the top bars.
0408 565 763
Drifta-X
Yak Master
kayak: 2010 hobie outback

Post by Drifta-X »

Some sort of flip out fish cleaning table, for those times where there is none
I survived the June 2012 Vyak server crash, just.
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Also Dave, make the slide in the trailer out of 50mm PVC pipe and only attach at the front and rear, they will bow and contour to the shape of the hull on a PA and support it better than using two straight bits of wood.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

Jenko wrote:Also Dave, make the slide in the trailer out of 50mm PVC pipe and only attach at the front and rear, they will bow and contour to the shape of the hull on a PA/any kayak and support it better than using two straight bits of wood and can be abdjusted to different widths to fit different kayaks.
Dibbles
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: PA12

Post by Dibbles »

Thanks for the comments so far ... :thumbsup:
All of the feed back is great and the pencil has been on the paper. was thinking to make it enclosed to fit a pa 14, not necessarily that i will get one but other yaks seem to be at least 12 - 14 foot long.
as for the steel in the frame- realy had no idea and was going strong, usually the stuff i build gets over enginerred.. looks like this time over the top a bit to much.. so comments ok as now i have learnt something new
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Going down the trailer route at the moment, I am going to start off with a boat trailer (Nautica Trailers) as it galvanised and put cross beams to add a floor level.

My ultimate would be a long roller draw slide (2.1m+) under the floor for rod storage, ali boxes down one side and provision for some overhead bars for the second yak.
I want the second yak rack to be removable and the floor to be carpeted, everything to be galvanised so no corrosion issues.

Have made my mirage drive locking system and started getting brackets to mount the bunks already.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's