Old surfboard day Pt Leo

Completely off topic!
Luckyphil
Square eyes
kayak: 14ft timber sea kayak, redfish 14

Old surfboard day Pt Leo

Post by Luckyphil »

Hi All,
A bit late to let you know but there is an old surfboard show and shine, also old boards for sale. And if anyone is into Kombi`s they are having a show there as well.
The blokes from Tree to Sea wooden surfboard workshops are apparently going to be there as well (great course if you love surfing and woodwork) just a display of their boards and info on courses.
At Point Leo, beginning at 10.00 am, costs 4 bucks to get in.
I will be there, with a couple of wooden boards and 2 old glass boards.
If you are on the Peninsula with nothing to do, dig out your loudest Hawiian shirt and come on down. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Phil
It`s life Jim, but not as we know it ![/b

Pbs: black bream 38, Gummy 1100, whiting 38, flathead 60+,
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Re: Old surfboard day Pt Leo

Post by Haynsie »

Luckyphil wrote:Hi All,
A bit late to let you know but there is an old surfboard show and shine, also old boards for sale. And if anyone is into Kombi`s they are having a show there as well.
The blokes from Tree to Sea wooden surfboard workshops are apparently going to be there as well (great course if you love surfing and woodwork) just a display of their boards and info on courses.
At Point Leo, beginning at 10.00 am, costs 4 bucks to get in.
I will be there, with a couple of wooden boards and 2 old glass boards.
If you are on the Peninsula with nothing to do, dig out your loudest Hawiian shirt and come on down. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Phil
Sounds good Phil. I've been making some hand planes (for body surfing) and would love to check this out.

Cheers

Tim
Luckyphil
Square eyes

Post by Luckyphil »

Had an awesome day at Pt Leo, took along 2 old glass boards (a 1964 Pacific Star 9' 6" and a 1968 George Rice 8' 4") and 2 hollow timber boards I have made.
Got a lot of good comments on the timber boards which was great, got to talk to George Rice who was one of the top board makers in Victoria from the late 50s right through to 1980 i think, and got him to sign the George Rice board I have, which is getting close to being beyond surfing anymore, this just accelerated it becoming "wall art"
Lots of really nice old boards on display, some for sale at prices I did not think were too bad, The kombi club had a show as well.
Weather turned out great, good people to talk to, old boards to look at and yarn about.
Great day all round.
Cheers
Phil
Attachments
Talking to board maker George Rice
Talking to board maker George Rice
Boards I took along
Boards I took along
Second timber board I have made
Second timber board I have made

bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Spewing i missed this, i would of loved to have gone.
I had an old 9'6" convex bottom Tony Olsen board that i restored years ago and gave to my nephew.
Bill 0409139460
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Haynsie »

Looks like a great day.

Phil your timber boards look great. I'd love to know more. Did you do the Tree to Sea course or just build from scratch?

These are some of the hand planes I've been making.
Handplanes.jpg
Handplanes 2.jpg
Cheers

Tim
Luckyphil
Square eyes

Post by Luckyphil »

Hi Tim,
My wife got a voucher for the tree to sea course for my birthday. I made their 7' 6" funboard, it is a really intense 3 day course where you make the whole board using their pre cut frames. You glue up the deck and bottom skins, build the rails from timber strips, glue it together, put in fin box and plugs, deck plugs and vent plug, they do the rough shaping with planers etc then you do final shape and sand. The boards are finished with marine varnish which they give you to take home, and varnish and sand, varnish and sand, until you are happy with the result.
The second board I made is a copy of the green George Rice. I did this from scratch, taking the measurements from the original, making templates and cutting out the frames from 4mm ply, the skins are 6mm Paulownia and the decorative stringers are redwood from an old 4 panel timber door and western red cedar from some window frames we took out at work. I glassed this board with 4oz f/glass cloth and polyester resin, a resin filler coat then gloss marine varnish. I just have to go over the bottom with cutting compound then polish and it is done.
If you love woodworking and surfboards it is a great course to do, I think from memory it cost around $1400, the price depends on what size board you choose to make, but you learn a lot and have a pretty unique board at the end.
On the weekend the Tree to sea guys also had timber hand planes and paipo bodyboards on display so they must be doing courses in those as well.
Where I got the Paulownia for my board at plantation shutters in Mordialloc, they also do courses in the solid timber Alaia boards.
Its a good hobby and keeps me away from the crap they put on TV these days.
Cheers
Phil

sawtell
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Post by sawtell »

Can't believe I missed this. Could have been a grouse way to fill in my afternoon after the northerly picked up and ruined my mid morning surf at gunnamata!!