Can you be a Yak fisher by mind only?

New? Say G'Day here!
justnorm
Apprentice
kayak: Native Slayer 10 and Aquayak Ranger

Re: Can you be a Yak fisher by mind only?

Post by justnorm »

See ,multi hull! havent thought of that. I know of the Hobie, Big problem. I am Fit, however have an arthritic big toe! sore, need to find out if It prohibits the hobie. toe is worse after driving an auto car. can work all day in the garden.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Consider the kayak fishing course run by east coast kayaking.
I did it last year and after the day realised I enjoyed the sport.

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17525

I remained a kayaker by mind only until four months later I invested in a 2nd hand Hobie kayak with mirage drive and joined this forum.
I now enjoy to peddle within my limits.

Also make the most of try out sessions run by the kayak shops to test your toe.
I have a fused ankle and had concerns that I wouldn't be able to peddle a hobie mirage drive.
SLH offered me a try out session at Mothers beach Mornington & Rod Bendings offered me a try out at Andersons inlet.
justnorm
Apprentice

Post by justnorm »

hi guys, have been swotting and reading on the forum, am heading down to braeside, hopefully on friday to look at what Wavedance can do for me.I had a good responce to the message I sent and a nice conversation after.
Now to tell the wife!

Thanks, Norm
tonystott
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Tandem Island

Post by tonystott »

justnorm wrote:See ,multi hull! havent thought of that. I know of the Hobie, Big problem. I am Fit, however have an arthritic big toe! sore, need to find out if It prohibits the hobie. toe is worse after driving an auto car. can work all day in the garden.
I would doubt you would experience problems with your toe for several reasons; as you also have the sail, which is very efficient even in very light winds, pedaling is not needed much of the time (in fact, I find myself pedaling more than I need to just for the fitness benefits, and accordingly, leave my feet in the pedals all the time). Secondly, the pedals operate with a "stepper" action rather than circular as on bicycles, and the Miragedrive works even with limited leg strokes. Reach is adjustable, so you can avoid any stretching or constriction. Lastly, the forces involved on the pedals are never high, and if you wear shoes (I prefer sandals) with solid soles, I would have trouble seeing how your toe could be hurt, as your feet contact the pedals on the widest part of your foot (it is too easy in a car for toes to touch the pedals).

Hope this helps a bit, I think you should at least try a Miragedrive yk just to check out compatibility with your situation.
2012 Hobie Tandem Island
"SIC EM"
justnorm
Apprentice

Post by justnorm »

Thanks Tony,
more thinking to do. Thanks for your comments.
Did pop into wavedance, To be honest, I think the kingfisher at 4.1m is too big for me. I can see it being a problem with ease of transport.
Looked at the smaller yaks at 2.7 and 3m extreme hunter and calypso. Must find out what limitations that would mean. But if bay snapper fishing is the only loss, perhaps I should think!Would they be OK for closer in fishing?, will see if I can see some posts
Thanks again all,
justnorm
Apprentice

Post by justnorm »

The answer is not long, Pick up my aqua yak ranger tomorrow!!
Scuttlebutt
Square eyes
kayak: Revolution. Pro Angler. 12. The Strong Hold.

Post by Scuttlebutt »

justnorm wrote:The answer is not long, Pick up my aqua yak ranger tomorrow!!
Yehaaa!!! Good for you. Now do not go forgetting ELM's Flattie Tail's.
Corsair of Scuttlebutt. Cheer's. Susan. aka. Scuba Sue.
PB. Safeway Banana Prawn's bought as Bait.
PB. Gummy Shark 83.5cm. No Microsurgery required to fillet this sucker.
PB. Scuttlebutts' Strong Hold.
Kiwidundee
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback...Thunder Child

Post by Kiwidundee »

Great to hear. Hope to see you out in the water!
To answer your question, of cause you can be a yak fisherman by mind only...just ask Ghurkin! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
My mobile 0428917691

PB...Snapper 81cm Ricketts Point, Black Marlin bigger than your yak SWR, Flathead 60cm Sunnyside, Whiting 46cm Flinders, Gummy shark 124cm Reef Island, Sth Calamari 41cm hood length Flinders.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

Kiwidundee wrote:Great to hear. Hope to see you out in the water!
To answer your question, of cause you can be a yak fisherman by mind only...just ask Ghurkin! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
sigh :roll:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
justnorm
Apprentice

Post by justnorm »

I feel obliged to return to my topic, I bought a aquayak ranger paddle yak and have had great pleasure in it. and learned re entry and also bordered the limits of tide / wind.
Have now bought a native slayer 10 and glad I went that way. I know the 10 is a great stable platform, I now understand that you can go behind you without any worry, never mind stand up. I wouldnt like to battle some of the wind / tides I have in the Ranger though.
But I wouldnt now would I? Now the artritus is in my knee and thumb, so what.