G'Day VYAK People

New? Say G'Day here!
whittyjs
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

G'Day VYAK People

Post by whittyjs »

Hello People,
just wanted to thank everyone who has posted on these forums, providing some really great advice indirectly to a newbie like myself (especially Rhino's animation, the "oxygen thief" line had me spit tea onto the laptop). I've been through the safety sections, discussed what yak to get with a friend whose into kayak fishing , tried out the kayak I'm interested in - Wavedance Kingfisher on the Ovens River. It was a good fit, I'm ready to make a commitment, especially now after having talked about it for over a year I'm pretty sure it won't cost me my testicles in a jar in my better half's bedside draw. :wtf: In the market for a second hand beast preferably.
I also tried a Hobie Outback from Mornington Boat HIre - was a pretty ordinary day, lots of chop and wind. I didn't go very far, felt like I would tip off if I got side on so focused on staying straight into the waves, barely managed to get a line in the water but got two small pinkies all the same. Boat was probably great, but all I could focus on was the fact that I felt unsafe and stressed about losing my gear. Spoke to my mate later that day who said I never should have been out there - a wake up call and probably what delayed my endeavour to take up the sport.

I'm interested in squid and snapper mostly, occasionally heading up to the country for a Murray cod, when I will camp and make good use of the Kingfisher's ample storage. I will be fishing with a mate down near Mornington until I get a decent handle on what I'm doing.

Only question I have is, being based in Northcote, where's the closest place you'd point me to that would be worth trying for squid or snapper?

Once again, thanks for all the free advice. Hope to get a kayak soon and see you out there on the water!
Jonathan
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Re: G'Day VYAK People

Post by Anthony »

Hey mate, welcome board! Good to see that you've looked at the safety side of things. Seeing as you didn't get hurt you're session in the outback was probably a good learning experience as you'll now have a better understand of what conditions are suitable and what it might be like if you accidentally get caught in bad conditions in the future.

Another member, cheaterparts, has a kingfisher up for sale here http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=22461. I'm not sure if it's been sold yet but it might be worth contacting him.

Whilst you can catch squid anywhere in PPB the Southern areas tend to fish better. If you travel anywhere past Mornington on the eastern side or any where past Werribee on the western side you should be able to find good numbers of squid. Personally my favorite location in PPB for squid is Safety Beach. Snapper can be found throughout the Bay but tend fire up north between Altona and Frankston at the start of the season and tend move south as the season progresses. If you keep an eye on the Fishing Trips and Trip Report boards you should be able to get a good idea of where the fish are. There's also a heap of threads on the best methods to catch both squid and snapper from a yak if you do some searches. I would also recommend joining others on trips if you can. I've learnt a tonne about fishing from other members here.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

whittyjs wrote:Hello People,
just wanted to thank everyone who has posted on these forums, providing some really great advice indirectly to a newbie like myself (especially Rhino's animation, the "oxygen thief" line had me spit tea onto the laptop). I've been through the safety sections, discussed what yak to get with a friend whose into kayak fishing , tried out the kayak I'm interested in - Wavedance Kingfisher on the Ovens River.

I'm interested in squid and snapper mostly, occasionally heading up to the country for a Murray cod, when I will camp and make good use of the Kingfisher's ample storage. I will be fishing with a mate down near Mornington until I get a decent handle on what I'm doing.

Jonathan
Anthony wrote:
Another member, cheaterparts, has a kingfisher up for sale here http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=22461. I'm not sure if it's been sold yet but it might be worth contacting him.

First off weclome to Vyak as you have found it is a huge asset to kayak fishos of all levels - it's good you have sussed out the safety section and getting upto speed now is a great idea as 3 to 4 months away Snapper will fire up again

your ideas of grabing a Wavedance Kingfisher is a great starting out kayak and will do everything quite well , I still think they were and still are one of the best value for money kayaks built
Many off us started our kayak fishing in them and for the money they are a far better option than the Ebay cheapies , as Anthony said I have my Kingfisher on the market still not sold atm

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=22461
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Advantage of cheaters kingy is it has been adapted with a tried and tested set up, especially the nifty rod holder rail

Paddle yaks feel more stable until you get used to the unnatural balancing of not having paddle in hand on peddle yaks. Also more affordable.
whittyjs
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by whittyjs »

Hi Lads,
thanks for the feedback and the tip on the kayak - just got back from the airport to find your posts. Cheaterparts I will give you a call tomorrow morning to see if there's a time that works to come and take a look at it this weekend. I will take it then and there if it seems right, certainly looks ideal.
Anthony thanks for the advice on places to try for squid/snapper and the places to check on the forum.
Jonathan