A stranger in the night

Show off your kayak!
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: A stranger in the night

Post by Seasherpa »

laneends wrote:Not that anyone's putting any pressure or expectations on Eoin, we wouldn't do that would we? :evilgrin:
That’s not pressure - try telling your wife you want to spend the family savings to make kayak and skiff molds and that you are going to quit a permanent on-going govt job to do it :lol:
I’ll have pics and more info for you gents soon, just waiting on some stuff to come back from IP Australia before we can publish :thumbsup:
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

That’s awfully generous of you to sacrifice your sex life like that so we can have a cool kayak
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Seasherpa wrote:
laneends wrote:Not that anyone's putting any pressure or expectations on Eoin, we wouldn't do that would we? :evilgrin:
That’s not pressure - try telling your wife you want to spend the family savings to make kayak and skiff molds and that you are going to quit a permanent on-going govt job to do it :lol:
I’ll have pics and more info for you gents soon, just waiting on some stuff to come back from IP Australia before we can publish :thumbsup:
How is this coming along? I've got a nice tax refund on it's way and I'd hate to have to spend it on a Hobie
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

4liters wrote:
Seasherpa wrote:
How is this coming along? I've got a nice tax refund on it's way and I'd hate to have to spend it on a Hobie
Cheater is currently working on the dolly to hold the finished molds :thumbsup:
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Is this all happening down at Somerville?
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

happyas wrote:Is this all happening down at Somerville?
Yep slowly but surely
happyas
Lord of the fish

Post by happyas »

Wow. As a retired toolmaker I would love to look at your progress, if it wasn't for this bloody covid lockdown No. 2
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

Well, with so much of the past 12months spent in lockdown and off the water I have had plenty of time to think. And almost as much time to contemplate spending a little money.

I have been weighing up a couple of different sail kits on the market to help me travel a bit further during a session - namely Flat Earth and Falcon Sails (in the US). During my research I did come across another US company called KayakSailor. Turns out they are a husband and wife duo who just love sailing and make an all-in-one kit - including leeboards. And although others like Falcon Sails claim to be able to sail upwind perfectly fine, as the only kit that comes with the adage of leeboards it should minimize sideslip.

Well I finally pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago and the parcel arrive 4days sooner than expected on the first day of lockdown :). Over the weekend I played around with some mounting positioning and will finalize positioning after an on the water test - when I get chance.
Sail2.jpg
Sail1.jpg

"In for a penny, in for a pound" considering I was already paying out a fair whack for this sail and I was already paying for shipping, I thought, "What the Hell" and purchased the genoa/jib sail they also do for this kit. It will be something I wont worry about initially using - at least until I get to grips with the main sail system - but I will look at fitting it once I gain a bit of experience:
Sail3.jpg
First impressions is that its a very good bit of kit. Super compact when in its stowed position too. Has a reefed and full height setting - with this sail being 1.4sqm. With a Railblaza kit its a matter of dropping the frame onto the deck and locking the three railblaza mounts closed and you're all set.

Time will tell how the things perform and the types of speeds I can expect with sail alone as well as while paddling also.

Any questions, I'm happy to try and answer
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Looks good Nath, looking forward to your report on how it works out :up:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
happyas
Lord of the fish

Post by happyas »

Hmm. Very interesting, more than a thousand bucks?