bleeding and gutting fish on the water

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
thelastreject
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Compass

bleeding and gutting fish on the water

Post by thelastreject »

I have a couple of newbie questions about caring for your catch.

Do you bleed and gut your fish (say snapper and salmon) while out on the water - so long as you follow the rules on fish and carcass?
Do you throw the guts over the side or does this put other fish off (I know that sounds silly but I honestly don't know)?

I have a cooler for my catch. I use a couple of ice bricks that I got from Bunnings. Can I just put some saltwater in there as well and is that enough to keep the fish cold or do I need to use ice and saltwater?

When I get home, how do I make a saltwater mix to wash my catch when preparing it for the table or can I just grab some seawater and bring that home?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm googling like mad and not doing very well with answers.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: bleeding and gutting fish on the water

Post by cheaterparts »

thelastreject wrote:I have a couple of newbie questions about caring for your catch.

Do you bleed and gut your fish (say snapper and salmon) while out on the water - so long as you follow the rules on fish and carcass?
Do you throw the guts over the side or does this put other fish off (I know that sounds silly but I honestly don't know)?

I have a cooler for my catch. I use a couple of ice bricks that I got from Bunnings. Can I just put some saltwater in there as well and is that enough to keep the fish cold or do I need to use ice and saltwater?

When I get home, how do I make a saltwater mix to wash my catch when preparing it for the table or can I just grab some seawater and bring that home?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm googling like mad and not doing very well with answers.

many fish are far better on the table if you have bled them - so hear goes I don't eat a lot of salmon but normally pickle them if eating these fish are bled straight away a simple cut through the gill section and into the cooler same for trevs or yakkas if I'm pickling them
most of the above I use as bait so don't get bled

Snapper I just brain spike and put in the cooler - gummies I bled - brain spike and gut on the water - in Westernport it doesn't put other fish off including the gummies but then it washes away pretty quickly

making salt water - simple enough put salt in water and stir - I buy a fairly coarse cooking salt that I use in my pickling and I use that - do a taste test if it tastes salty it probably is
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Im much the same as Cheater however I don't pickle, all fish get killed and bled straight away while gummies get put in my chiller if it's warm if not i leave them on the deck then gut asap after im done fishing, i never blead salmon as they are my favorite gummy bait, squid are treated the same as any other fish but depending on time i often clean them completely while on the drift then into the chill bag, if cleaning at home i add about 100g of salt to a half full/empty rinse sink, someone suggested grabbing a container of water before leaving the beach this sounds like a good idea but im yet to do it.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
thelastreject
Apprentice

Post by thelastreject »

Thanks guys!! This is really helpful.
Stevep
Apprentice
kayak: 2monks double ocean prowler 4.1

Post by Stevep »

Sea water is equivalent to about 30g of salt per litre of water
thelastreject
Apprentice

Post by thelastreject »

Stevep wrote:Sea water is equivalent to about 30g of salt per litre of water
This is great! precise and easy to follow.