Oregano Oil!

Completely off topic!
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Oregano Oil!

Post by Digger »

About 10 days ago I was trolling through You Tube topics and found one extolling the benefits of Oregano Oil. One of the many claims made for it was that it was good for problems of respiratory nature inc. Asthma.  I bought a small bottle for about $30 from the health food store deciding it was worth a try.

It’s pretty potent stuff and needs to be heavily diluted or it will take your head off and I have one drop in my morning green tea. My wheezy breathing clears up straight away! It’s as good as Salbutamol but natural! If I’ve ben exerting, the breathing difficulty comes back but another drop and I'm fine again! I’m taking maybe 3 drops over the day and my asthma seems much better, not fixed but controlled, and without the need for steroids which is a huge bonus for me. Advice is that you may need an iron supplement while taking Oregano Oil.

There are many claims made for this substance one of which is to help snoring. Now I snore if I lie on my back and usually wake myself up and  roll onto my side. Last night I awoke realising that I’d been on my back for 3 hours and wasn’t aware of snoring at all. Gael confirmed that it’s been some time since I have snored, and she’s the one that knows!

Early days but maybe this is good stuff?

As always get medical advice before staring on something different as alternative medicines may interact with other things you're taking. (you do smell a bit herby though)

I post this here in case it helps someone else.
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Re: Oregano Oil!

Post by happyas »

Wow Dig, it sounds like you might be onto something. Many of today's pharma medicines have their basis in natural remedies. Look at Aspirin, based on the salicylic ( not sure of the spelling) acid in willow tree bark originally.
ecoronad
The force is strong in this one
kayak: native watercraft ultimate 12

Post by ecoronad »

Interesting. Thanks for the post. Just did a quick google search and seems something worth following up on.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

I’m glad it seems of some interest to you.

I took some late, just before going to bed, and have to say I think it keeps me awake a bit, but then I don’t sleep well anyway. However my breathing through the night was fantastic and I’ve been battling constant asthma for over 18 months now!
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

One thing I’ve noticed in the last week is that I have much more energy! Been doing heaps more work!

Now I haven’t read any claims of this oil doing that so it’s not placebo, but for me it’s a godsend as I have so much on my plate ATM.
benc120382
kayak: 4.3

Post by benc120382 »

Thanks for sharing digger, I suffer from asthma and will definitely give this a go :up:
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

benc120382 wrote:Thanks for sharing digger, I suffer from asthma and will definitely give this a go :up:

I’ve had success with a couple of alternative medications Ben and have found them surprisingly more effective that other things the GP’s have to offer you.

You just have to be careful with how much you take as it’s pretty potent.

I hope it helps you too and slip me a PM if it does please as I would be interested to know.
flyonline
kayak: Australis Bass

Post by flyonline »

Hey Digger

does it do anything for sinus problems if it helps with snoring? I have borderline sleep apnea and use a CPAP, which drives me crazy sometimes (but works)! I also get sinus issues often, usually hay-fever related and hate using chemical sprays etc. for it.

How is the tumeric going? I have a friend with arthritis I keep trying to convince to give it a go, but he's a stubborn old...... :lol:

Steve
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

Salt water rinse will clear the crap out of your sinuses.
If you try it, make sure you follow the instructions so you avoid blowing it into Eustachian tubes. If you do, you may get an incredibly painful infection.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

flyonline wrote:Hey Digger

does it do anything for sinus problems if it helps with snoring? I have borderline sleep apnea and use a CPAP, which drives me crazy sometimes (but works)! I also get sinus issues often, usually hay-fever related and hate using chemical sprays etc. for it.

How is the tumeric going? I have a friend with arthritis I keep trying to convince to give it a go, but he's a stubborn old...... :lol:

Steve
Arthritis is a fact if life for many sadly and Turmeric is indeed a very effective treatment. My main problem was my left thumb and it made my life miserable and finally I had a couple of screws put in pinning the middle joint. At that stage all the pain went away and other arthritic pin was bearable so I stopped turmeric.

Lately with all the manual work that joint is hurting again and fingers on my left hand are getting worse to a point where I may have to get stuck into turmeric again.

I took it for quite a few years and can certainly recommend it.

The benefits spoken of are for upper respiratory problems and I can tell you relief for me is instant. I really can’t say what to expect for sinus problems or severe snoring other than for $30 I guess it’s worth a try. I am only prepared to recommend based on my own experience but perhaps some reading might clarify it?

Good luck and it’s a pity about your friend being stubborn. Turmeric is available readily in capsule form if that would make it more palatable to him for a trial. It does take a few weeks to kick in thought, unlike Oregano Oil.

Good luck and keep us posted.