PLB/EPIRB Placement

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

PLB/EPIRB Placement

Post by erik the viking »

I just thought I would share with the VYAK crew a couple of incidents that have caught my attention.
Both not really yakky, but extremely related to kayak fishing in all waters.

1. Got this off Victorian Kayak Fishing facebook page.
I don't have facebook but you can still view it as it is open to all.

Ben Horton shared a post to the group: Hobie Adventure & Tandem Island Owners.

I wasn't going to share this but due to recent posts, I'd rather people learn from my mistakes and safety rules.
A confusion between my girlfriend and me meant we were a mile offshore when I opened the centre hatch of my TI to find it full of water!
Previously she asked me if I had put the drain plugs in, I said no so she did it and I didnt check! Big mistake because when asked if she had definitely put them in she said yes - both of them! I should have checked and I didnt my mistake.
So we both always wear pfds, drysuits with lights and safety knives on our pfds. I have carry a vhf with a dsc button, mobile phone and car keys etc in a dry bag incase we need helicopter rescue and flares for every launch. And I practice my self rescues but as of yet - I haven't capsized it and righted it. I also didnt carry a bailing pump and spare drain ups which has been rectified.
We turned around and headed for shore using the pedal drives and sail and I said if I'm not sure we are going to make it ill radio the coastguard. Half a mile to go in and I'm not sure. I made a pan pan call giving our position and direction and the RNLI rib was launched and helped us in the last 100 metres. They also praised our set up and safety and didnt make us feel like idiots for missing a drain plug!
My reason for sharing is please guys learn from my safety mistakes. Plan for the worst but hope for the best. Drysuit, pfd, safety knife, tide planning, wind planning, safety check sheet (somthing we have now implemented), self rescue plan if one of you comes off and a means to bail out (also added to the safety kit).
I screwed up but I'm hoping I can learn from it. Below is a link to the RNLI report.
Stay safe guys.

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AifRtHy5ehM
#Oooops#whoputthe anchorin#mightneedanewboat

This relates to where you might locate your EPIRB/PLB when you are out on the water.
A bit sketchy, but a good distraction from lockdown frustration.
A EPIRB/PLB is not much good to you if you can't access it!
No good in the hull or the backpack back at camp.
If you are on the yak,have it on your person, so if you get separated from your craft you can still raise help.
If you are on the lake or river and get out to bank fish, take it with you.
That's what you paid good money for. HELP.
You don't have to watch the whole 1:10:39, maybe just 5min in the beginning, middle and the end.
But, it is food for thought....................

Tight lines and stay safe :thumbsup:

PS A PLB is very much recommended for a kayak fisher. The specs are almost the same as a EPIRB, the main differences is the size and 'battery life'.
However if you haven't been rescued in 24hr on PPB or WPB, (or any inland lake or river) you are stuffed anyway!
Hypothermia is no ones friend!
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: PLB/EPIRB Placement

Post by peatop »

Thanks Eric, a great reminder that anything is possible at any time, I used to watch a lot of Timmy turtles video and hadn't seen this before. My PLB is attached to my PFD and I have an EPIRB attached to my large tackle box that lives on my yak when in the water.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

something I thought about when fitting my EPIRB
IMG_0404.JPG
fitting it on the rear deck on the stealth is out of the way for all normal activities - paddling or fishing but is accessible ether on the yak or swimming beside it -- note the lanyard is on a stainless clip that can be removed from the kayak and clipped to my PFD if needed
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

My PLB is in my PFD but I keep the EPIRB in a dry bag inside the hull, although readily accessible through the front hatch. If I got separated from the yak then the PLB (or VHF or phone) can be used to call for help. If there's a circumstance where I do need to use the EPIRB then I don't think having to open the hatch is an issue. I've looked at where I could place it on deck but on an AI with a heap of other gear and ropes/sheet its not that easy. The drybag also contains flares, red triangle (for NSW), rope and some spares.

It's worth noting only the EPIRB is legal when heading more than 2nm offshore in Vic, not the PLB.
0408 565 763
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

A PLB is only good for as long as you can hold it out of the water, it is not designed to float with the aerial upwards. Unless the aerial is vertical and out of the water, they don't work. That is why they are not currently legal to use instead of an EPIRB on a kayak. MSV research is that a PLB can on average, only be held vertical for 15 minutes in good conditions.

But I would rather have a PLB and a water proof VHF radio, than nothing.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

Thanks for the input guys.
If you post something here on VYAK, you are assured to get the best info from the most experienced yakkers around. :thumbsup:
That PLB thing of keeping it upright and above the water is solved by having a good PFD that you can attach the PLB to the shoulder strap above the water line. (sorry for all the acronyms :eh:)
Both the EPIRB and the PLB have their place in watercraft safety, but by gosh, something is better than nothing at all.
The thing to remember is tipping over or falling out causes instant stress and confusion.
Grabbing the safety device and inflating the PFD all require a clear mind and practice. :o

Stay safe and tight lines. (soon, we hope)
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Mine PLB is strapped to my PFD, still doesn't make it legal but does make it safer. The MSV were happy to review the law if a purpose made PFD came out and proved that the PLB could remain vertical.

And I don't use an inflatable PFD for the reason of falling out and being disorientated or knocked out. Nothing like immediate flotation to keep you alive. :up:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.