Advice On A Kayak Westernport

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Zack073
kayak: Looking to buy

Advice On A Kayak Westernport

Post by Zack073 »

Hey guys I am fairly new to kayaking and haven't been out on one before, but fairly confident I will enjoy it (been on tinnies and other smaller and bigger boats before). I will mostly be going out and around coronet bay and was wondering what type of kayaks are recommended for open water like that.

I have been looking into kayaks like the kayaks2fish gen10 mkII but a lot of the reviews reckon they are a bit small (3m) for going out on westernport and I 3m kayak will be a bit hard to manoeuvre and paddle. I then had a look at the baysports ANGLER PRO XL - 4.3M FISHING KAYAK WITH LIVE BAIT WELL (https://www.baysports.com.au/collection ... -bait-well) I havent been able to find much information on it, but 4m kayaks seem to be better as you can build up more speed and stay in the same spot easier what do you guys think.

My budget is about $1,500 and I would prefer a paddle kayak as the peddle ones seem a bit expensive and being my first kayak I think it would be better to learn how to properly paddle.

cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: Advice On A Kayak Westernport

Post by cheaterparts »

Zack073 wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 15:03
I have been looking into kayaks like the kayaks2fish gen10 mkII but a lot of the reviews reckon they are a bit small (3m) for going out on westernport and I 3m kayak will be a bit hard to manoeuvre and paddle. I then had a look at the baysports ANGLER PRO XL - 4.3M FISHING KAYAK WITH LIVE BAIT WELL (https://www.baysports.com.au/collection ... -bait-well) I havent been able to find much information on it, but 4m kayaks seem to be better as you can build up more speed and stay in the same spot easier what do you guys think.

My budget is about $1,500 and I would prefer a paddle kayak as the peddle ones seem a bit expensive and being my first kayak I think it would be better to learn how to properly paddle.

you are on the right track Zack places like Coronet bay you can get away with a short kayak most of the time but a 4 meter kayak will do a better job and open up other areas
the 4.3 meter kayak you are looking at is sort of a copy of the Ocean Kayaks Prowler and there are a few other chinese copys of the prowler under different names ( probably out of the same factory )

Winchbitch ( Mal ) uses one that is very similar and it has pretty much the same speed and stability as the Prowler ( which by the way are a very good kayak ) - some of the fitting are lower std but still on the whole are quite usable
he also has taken it off shore a bit and like the Prowler has pretty good manners even in bigger seas than you may wont to play in -- this model you are looking at coms with a high seat and I know Mal uses the old std low seat which of cause adds to stability or more to the point sitting higher lifts your centre of balance and makes the boat less stabile

so for WP look at the longer yak if you do venture out into a tide flow you will see why a faster kayak are the go

just a heads up I'm on my 3rd kayak now and fish mainly WP and every one of them has been a paddle craft starting with a 4.1 meter moving to a 4.3 meter and now a 5.25 meter -

just a head up practice your re entries before you worry about fishing and try to buy a good paddle there is a big difference between cheap and nasty paddles and a good paddle

so good luck
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Zack073

Post by Zack073 »

Thank you so much for your reply I really appreciate it, I think I'll be purchasing the one linked as it seems to check a lot of the boxes for a relatively reasonable price. I just wanted a second opinion on my research to make sure I was on the right track.
Thanks for the advice :up:
benc120382
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 4.3

Post by benc120382 »

I have one of these Chinese prowler yaks and you can’t go wrong as an introduction into the sport, like cheater mentioned you are better off with low profile seat as they are quite tippy with the stadium style seat.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

As Cheater has said, that Baysports yak looks looks very similar to the Prowler kayaks which are a very good plastic yak design. I had one as my first kayak and you should have no dramas in WPB with it.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

There is a white Stealth Evo 430 on marketplace listed for the price in your budget. It would be a more sea worthy craft and a nicer boat to paddle over either of the ones you are looking at. Also a very capable offshore boat too if you end up heading in that direction down the track. If he is negotiable on price it would save you some cash towards a nice pfd that is more comfortable to paddle in. If the Carlisle simply magic in the photos comes with the ski you are laughing because it is probably the best value entry level paddle around.
Generally speaking even with both paddle and pedal there is a fair difference in user experience between a cheap one and a good one. As Cheater mentioned Mal's boat did the job but he was always the last one to the spot and worked a damn sight harder than the rest of us to get there. If I was starting out again I'd spend my money on a second hand 'good' boat over a new bad one.
Last edited by Seasherpa on 16 Sep 2021, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Seasherpa wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 21:27 As Cheater mentioned Mal's boat did the job but he was always the last one to the spot and worded a damn sight harder than the rest of us to get there. If I was starting out again I'd spend my money on a second hand 'good' boat over a new bad one.
he's always last cos he's old and feeble --
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

cheaterparts wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 21:37
Seasherpa wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 21:27 As Cheater mentioned Mal's boat did the job but he was always the last one to the spot and worded a damn sight harder than the rest of us to get there. If I was starting out again I'd spend my money on a second hand 'good' boat over a new bad one.
he's always last cos he's old and feeble --
The pot called the kettle what??
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

A second hand Hobie Outback may fit into your price range. Nothing wrong with a pedal yak. It will hold its price. I had a couple of cheap paddle yaks first, worked out more expensive than buying a new Hobie in the long run. Buying a second hand Hobie, should hold it's value and you will have way more fun and be one of the cool kids 8-) :lol: :lol:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Zack073

Post by Zack073 »

Okay thanks for the advice, should I go for a 4m second hand one and what's some thing's to look out for when buying a second hand kayak?
Thanks