When Seniors Downsize.

Completely off topic!
Patroller
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie outback

When Seniors Downsize.

Post by Patroller »

When Seniors need to down size it usually means their house and I suppose I’m no different having recently exchanged my country acres for a house by the sea down the Bellarine Peninsula way. But downsizes go surprisingly further than just the house. Not only was the house too big but so is my Hobie Outback, that came as a surprise. It’s the weight that is the issue. The plan is to downsize to a Hobie Sport in Ivory Dune if I can find one out there and looking forward to more time back on the water again. All I need to do now is to work out how to downsize the wind!
I thought I got a bite...........but it was just a bit of weed.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: When Seniors Downsize.

Post by maverick »

Would a Revo 11 or 13 be an option?

A Passport is lighter as well I think, but they will upsize the cost.

I don't think the Lynx would be good for anything else other small lakes and rivers.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Patroller
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Patroller »

Thanks Maverick, I have thought long and hard. The revo is a tad lighter and more zippy but I really like the stability of the sport but also it has flat surfaces along the side like the Outback where I put my scissors and bait. The Sports not that much different to the Outback as you know but just want to have a little less weight to have to lug across the sand and lift onto the trailer. And yeah, don’t want to spend more than what my Outback would be worth. I love the Outback, it’s just so heavy for me these days.
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

Patroller wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 15:45 Thanks Maverick, I have thought long and hard. The revo is a tad lighter and more zippy but I really like the stability of the sport but also it has flat surfaces along the side like the Outback where I put my scissors and bait. The Sports not that much different to the Outback as you know but just want to have a little less weight to have to lug across the sand and lift onto the trailer. And yeah, don’t want to spend more than what my Outback would be worth. I love the Outback, it’s just so heavy for me these days.
Just a suggestion... Maybe have a good look at how you transport and launch/retrieve your outback. I am not getting any younger or stronger either and have an AI which weighs a tad more but I have arranged my trailer so I don't ever have to lift much of it and as I need to I can introduce winches to help out in the future......worth consideration IMO
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
Patroller
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Patroller »

Thanks Spider, good suggestions. I am thinking about getting a little garden/yak trailer made to house maybe boat rollers. Hadn’t thought of a winch👍 It’s all the other incidentals that are hard like when it needs lifting to put away or get back up a small seawall or just plug in the cart. Still after a Sport though. That 10 kilos less would be a big help but keeping the Outback until I find one. I used to be able to manage it easy but 10 years later it’s a whole different story.
spider25160
Square eyes

Post by spider25160 »

Patroller wrote: 30 Oct 2021, 17:01 like when it needs lifting to put away
I have an electric winch in the roof of my shed so I can store the AI overhead out of the way. I back the trailer under the winch hook it up and press the button makes life easy.
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

spider25160 wrote: 30 Oct 2021, 19:47
I have an electric winch in the roof of my shed so I can store the AI overhead out of the way. I back the trailer under the winch hook it up and press the button makes life easy.
Spiders have 8 legs for lifting things to the roof, why do you need a winch? your getting lazy in your retirement :evilgrin: :lol:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
spider25160
Square eyes

Post by spider25160 »

peatop wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 17:31
spider25160 wrote: 30 Oct 2021, 19:47
Spiders have 8 legs for lifting things to the roof, why do you need a winch? your getting lazy in your retirement :evilgrin: :lol:
HMMM lazy maybe ...not yet retired (Thanks Covid) but really its the 40 or 50 or 60 kgs(with the gear) that does it. Could have bench pressed that a few years ago now have trouble lifting it onto its cart
Patroller
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Patroller »

An electric winch sounds good!
UPDATE…I have found a Hobie Sport so looking foward to getting back on the water. Downsize complete👍