First try

New? Say G'Day here!
DezzaH99
kayak: Seak Mako 3.9

First try

Post by DezzaH99 »

Brought my first fishing yak and took it for its first run today. Been fishing for a long time and have done a fair bit of paddling, but was nerve racking combining the two. Just had a quick hour out from Frankston at the Olivers Hill end. Managed a 38cm flattie and a dozen pinkies, all undersized. Just fished on the drift as didn't bother with the fish finder. Few things I learnt, don't put anything heavy or needed in the bow locker. Stick pinkies in the net so they don't spike you in the foot. Was a lot of fun and fishing light tackle was a joy. Looking forward to the next weather window.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: First try

Post by cheaterparts »

DezzaH99 wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 20:11 Brought my first fishing yak and took it for its first run today. Been fishing for a long time and have done a fair bit of paddling, but was nerve racking combining the two. Just had a quick hour out from Frankston at the Olivers Hill end. Managed a 38cm flattie and a dozen pinkies, all undersized. Just fished on the drift as didn't bother with the fish finder. Few things I learnt, don't put anything heavy or needed in the bow locker. Stick pinkies in the net so they don't spike you in the foot. Was a lot of fun and fishing light tackle was a joy. Looking forward to the next weather window.
good to see you had some success even if the fish were small - figuring out where to stow things takes a little time as we all have our own way of doing things
as for pinkys and spikes I find the sharp gill rakers more of a pain - don't know how many times I've had little stinging cuts releasing small pinkies - maybe I'm just awkward
I also find larger snaps if I'm keeping them are easier to handle if you head spike them while they are still in the net - https://bayfishntrips.com.au/news/iki-j ... patch-fish
this makes the fish safer to handle of cause only done to keepers

stay safe and have fun - and of cause welcome to vyak
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Galey
Lord of the fish
kayak: Ok Frenzy

Post by Galey »

Good stuff mate. Look forward to reading your reports.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Welcome Derek, enjoy the kayak fishing and read all the safety material available.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
DezzaH99
kayak: Seak Mako 3.9

Post by DezzaH99 »

maverick wrote: 06 Mar 2022, 15:06 Welcome Derek, enjoy the kayak fishing and read all the safety material available.
Been sailing all my life so very cautious these days, if in doubt, don't go out :D
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Welcome aboard Derek.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway