Sheltered spots for Saturday yakking

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
bugeater
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Outback

Sheltered spots for Saturday yakking

Post by bugeater »

Due to various family matters it looks like this weekend will be the only chance to get the yak out on the water for the next few weeks, but the weather looks less than optimal. My focus is western port for now, but east side of Port Phillip would be fine too.

Basically wind looks a little high and swell a little high for Saturday. The swell certainly makes it in through the Western Entrance to Balnarring/Somers, but how is it at the top of the bay? Plus would what is still a relatively light wind cause the top end to chop up? I'm in a Outback, but not experienced. Is there anywhere to go?
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Sheltered spots for Saturday yakking

Post by Seasherpa »

Hi Bugeater,
You won't get any swell at the top end of the bay only in areas that are exposed to the open ocean will you need to worry about swell.
Wind chop on the other hand, you will get in the bays as well as offshore but you can generally find lee somewhere to hide from it. In the top end, as with other parts of the bay two main things will cause it to be choppy 1) wind travelling over a lot of water before it gets to you (fetch) and 2) wind and tide going in opposite directions. With the second one this will be worst at the strongest part of the tide ie 3 & 4 hours after the change.
With the winds predicited for Saturday you'd need to be up at Tooradin/Blind Bight neck of the woods to avoid the wind having too much fetch, and then would have to be working around the tides to launch/land but having said that, there would certainly be better days to be heading out, it is supposed to be fun after all!
craigcole10
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Stealth Profisha 475

Post by craigcole10 »

I probably wouldn't bother with ppb this weekend as you won't find much shelter especially along the east side. Beaumaris Bay can offer some shelter on a W/NW and NW wind but its not much of an area of shelter. Plus its very quiet around there at the minute and when you factor in the 40% rule for gusts I don't think you'll have an enjoyable time in the outback. Weather forecasts haven't exactly been that accurate with wind events recently. Last Saturday was suppose to be 10knt in the morning but fawkner beacon was blowing 17. I probably would've gone out if it was a fitness paddle but fishing can be a hassle.
bugeater
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by bugeater »

Yeah the forecast has gotten worse, so looks unlikely I'll be getting out there. Oh well. Guess there will always be another chance.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Saturday looks a write-off. Later Sunday afternoon looks OK, especially along the West side of WP.

You could launch at Stony Point ramp and fish in close to there along the flats on the right or around the corner at Wooleys beach. High tide is around 4.15pm and I generally do well on squid with a high tide on the flats in front of Stony. Whiting can be found around the corner at Wooleys and also squid.
0408 565 763