VIetnam Veterans’ Day

Completely off topic!
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

VIetnam Veterans’ Day

Post by Digger »

It’s “Vietnam Veteran’s Day" here in Australia. The day is based on the anniversary of Long Tan on this day in 1966. A big battle was fought over 2 days against parts of 2 NVA regiments who ambushed a company of diggers in a rubber plantation near the task force base of Nui Dat.

With the help of a Kiwi artilliary group back at the base an impenetrable wall of steel stopped the Aussies from being overrun and the enemy lost as many as 300 of their troops in the action. We lost 18 men that night inc. one bloke that I worked with. RIP Colin. They backed right off Phuc Tui province after that having found the resistance too much.

Spare a thoughty for all those lost and for those that served their countries in the Vietnam War. Our losses were light by comparison to those of the other allies in that conflict however. It seems a long time ago, 53 years for me and we are all old men and women now. Their sacifices will soon be forgotten if we don’t keep memories alive.

Lest we forget.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: VIetnam Veterans’ Day

Post by maverick »

Lest we forget
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

They will never be forgotten Dig!
We will remember them.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

Never forgotten Dig.
And what I cannot forget is the piss poor treatment you all received when you came home.
Great to see you are still on the forum.
I hope you have you been able to chuck a lure or bait at some of the stonker bream that are supposed to out and about down there?
Keep safe and stay warm. :thumbsup:
E
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Thanks fellas, your comments are gratefully received. It was your comments previously Eric that prompted me to post this today.

No mate no fishing but I did buy a new rod & reel so maybe it’s getting closer…Grin~

I just love working here on the “ farm”.

Did I mention I restocked the dam with 100 yellow belly and 100 Bass? At least I won’t have far to go fishing~
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Certainly remembered. I had mates who were there. My own father was a survivor off the HMAS Canberra when it was sunk in WWII. I appreciate all of Australia's efforts in conflicts and Vietnam Vets were in my own age group.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Thanks Larry.