DIY Night light

Show off your DIY project!
SheffSparky
kayak: Hobie Compass

DIY Night light

Post by SheffSparky »

Hiya all
Seeing that the price of a hobie light and flag was over $180, i decided to make one instead. So after seeing a few lights that people have made and seeing a few on youtube i decided to make a night light. I have just made my first night light for early/late sessions on the water. Decided on having a permanent lit tip for my 360 deg light, but also a light on a switch to be able to turn on to flood the area. Anyway, i am proud of how it turned out and included a few pics.

Any thoughts, or feed back for any improvements are welcome.
Attachments
Work Light.jpg
Tip Light.jpg
Flag 04.jpg
Flag 03.jpg
Flag 02.jpg
Flag 01.jpg
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Re: DIY Night light

Post by vicyak »

looks great.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Looks good. You've travelled a well trod path as many of us have built similar light setups. Do a search on here and you should find many similar examples.

The one tip I'd add from many similar light builds is to pay very close attaention to your 12v cable connections and any switches. Salt water corrosion will quickly destroy any connections it can get into, even turning tinned cable black well up its +ve length. What's worked well for me on recent builds is to go with the 12v waterproof switch that FPV sell and also use the same style of waterproof connectors they use on their batteries. This makes for good quality interchangable segments that can be swapped out if corrosion becomes a problem without needing to resolder in good wiring. The only soldered connection I have on the whole setup is the final cable connection the the LED light strip and thatis well covered by liquid electrical tape and further taping.
0408 565 763
SheffSparky
kayak: Hobie Compass

Post by SheffSparky »

Thanks for that. I use an IP rated plug and socket for the connection. Once i am setup i rub Vaseline round the connection as a backup (salt water would mess anything up given a chance). When i wash down at home i give the both ends of the connectors a spray of Inox, along with any other electrical connections.

I also wrapped the pole in reflective tape, but thought it would not last long with the salt water, so i covered it all in clear heat shrink to protect it.

One question i do have though is, does the reflective tape stick to a kayak hull and stay on? Thinking of a full length stripe down both sides.

Only been on the kayak 4 times (totally new in the west), had close calls with 2 boats so far zipping past.
Attachments
Power lead.jpg
Battery Connection.jpg
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Nice Build Sean,

Regarding the reflective tape, yep it should stick fine.
I had luck with mine, as long as it is the good stuff and you stick it to a smooth spot it seems to bond well.
I got mine from Squizzy at Supersigns in Seaford and it is good quality (3M I think) and its still on there even though the Yak is covered in dust and has not seen water for many years now.. :? :oops:
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
Vance48
kayak: RTM Duo

Post by Vance48 »

Great achievement, congratulations to you.
My website : It's not for dogs