6X4 TRAILER CONVERSION TO SUIT PA (finished pics )

shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: 6X4 TRAILER CONVERSION TO SUIT PA (finished pics )

Post by shane »

Welcome Paul. :wave1: Several of us have done trailer conversions similar to this. There are more recent threads that will give you better guidance. For example here is a recent thread: https://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... it=trailer

You will see my trailer on the first page. I'd recommend this type of setup using 50mm PVC rails as it is easier to slide the yak on and off and the rails hug the hull and provide some cushioning. If you can fit a second yak side by side they can both have rails (can also change the rails positions). Otherwise do what you've sketched for the second yakabove the PA but higher up to give enough clearance.

Also bear in mind that the complicated claculation for rear overhang. I recall it's front load point distance forward of the axle being how far back you can overhang with a limit of 1.2m past the end. I have a PA14 on a 6x4 and this means I had to install an extending draw bar and foward load carrying point to make the trailer legal. It also needs to be registered.
0408 565 763
Tonka
kayak: Old Town Vapor 12xt angler

Post by Tonka »

This is a Vicroads link regarding overhang on trailers and watercraft.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/-/media ... 83AFDCE6EE
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

Tonka wrote:This is a Vicroads link regarding overhang on trailers and watercraft.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/-/media ... 83AFDCE6EE
The linked pdf above relates specifically to purpose designed trailers carrying rowing skiffs, yachts and gliders. You may get away with arguing this is applicable to a kayak but there is a risk you will still get fined.

The requirements that are more onerous and that could be enforced for box trailers are contained in this pdf:
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/~/media ... ashx?la=en

Basically the rear overhang limit is the distance from the trailer axle to the front most load carrying point of the trailer, up to a max of 3.7m. Measure this distance backwards from the axle and that's the rear overhang limit. So for a box trailer with the axle across the centre of the box, you would not be allowed anything hanging over the rear. That's why you typically need an extending draw bar with a load carrying point further forward to give enough rear overhang distance behind the axle to be legal.
0408 565 763
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

shane wrote: for a box trailer with the axle across the centre of the box, you would not be allowed anything hanging over the rear. That's why you typically need an extending draw bar with a load carrying point further forward to give enough rear overhang distance behind the axle to be legal.
or moving the axle rearward

most light box trailers will have the axle/axle group rearward about 1/2 an inch per foot rear of centre of the load area

as shane has said though the easiest way is to lengthen the draw bar and make it so the load area is further forward
IMG_2146.JPG
IMG_2147.JPG
this is one I'm doing at the moment but it;s adjustable so as to stretch out to carry a 4.5 meter long solo skiff as well as being pretty much a 6 x 4 in length to store and use as just the box trailer
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

Cheater, I've always interpreted it that just an extending draw bar wouldn't be enough. You would also need another load attachment point further forward located on the drawbar to extend the rear overhang. On my trailer I have the extended boxes up front but also a t-bar cross rail I can attach to the draw bar to create a forward load point and gain more rear overhang. Otherwise the most forward load point would just be the front of the trailer box and the draw bar wouldn't add anything for the overhang. Interested to hear your view?
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

When extending drawbars and adding forward supports, care needs to be taken with not putting excess downforce on tow ball if you load forward without rear overhanging. Probs not an issue with a kayak but if you load it up with sleepers for example its easy to do if load isnt actually symmetrical about axle.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

shane wrote:Cheater, I've always interpreted it that just an extending draw bar wouldn't be enough. You would also need another load attachment point further forward
yes Shane there will be some sort of clamped on front support and I have to relocate the spare wheel - this week ends chore seeing fishing is still out of range
as it is there will be no part of the skiff or PA hanging off the rear of the trailer

steve is also making something for the skiff and or his PA to sit in the box section
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657