Dive flags

Into yak based Diving? Talk about it here!
riv
Lord of the fish
kayak: Outback

Dive flags

Post by riv »

Just thought I would ask the question as I have done a google search and all the info I find is on American sites and I do not know if the rules are universal.

I want to do a bit of snorkeling off the yak and with the few yaks recently that have washed up I do not want to cause alarm by people onshore seeing a yak without a person on it, so the question is do I need to have a specific flag or is this just for scuba divers my yak will be at anchor and as always my orange flag will be up is there another flag required by law?

Cheers
Bretty
Yak Master
kayak: HOBIE OUTBACK RED

Re: Dive flags

Post by Bretty »

Brett
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by cotso »

riv wrote:Just thought I would ask the question as I have done a google search and all the info I find is on American sites and I do not know if the rules are universal.

I want to do a bit of snorkeling off the yak and with the few yaks recently that have washed up I do not want to cause alarm by people onshore seeing a yak without a person on it, so the question is do I need to have a specific flag or is this just for scuba divers my yak will be at anchor and as always my orange flag will be up is there another flag required by law?

Cheers
I'm pretty sure you need a blue and white one on your yak/boat, been a while since I've dived.
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411
riv
Lord of the fish

Post by riv »

Cheers guys and this applies for both scuba and snorkeling?

Thanks
Bretty
Yak Master

Post by Bretty »

riv wrote:Cheers guys and this applies for both scuba and snorkeling?

Thanks
Yep to both Riv the best thing is if a dive flag is up boats/jet skis have to do 5 knots with 100 meters of you :thumbsup:
Brett
riv
Lord of the fish

Post by riv »

Thanks again will sort one out.
Bretty
Yak Master

Post by Bretty »

Most dive shops will have them for about 20 buck around $50 on an inflatable bouy
Brett
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

0408 565 763
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Post by GoneFishn »

Riv I'd even suggest getting one for the yak and one on a float attached to you. That way if you venture further away from the yak than expected your still visible to boats/Jetskis (I have seen boats doing more than the 5kn within 50m of a dive flag).
sawtell
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Sport

Post by sawtell »

GoneFishn wrote:Riv I'd even suggest getting one for the yak and one on a float attached to you. That way if you venture further away from the yak than expected your still visible to boats/Jetskis (I have seen boats doing more than the 5kn within 50m of a dive flag).
What he said.

Jetskis and boats have to do 5kts within 50m of any anchored vessel.... How often do the obey that?