Berkley 'Gulp' Sandworms

What lures are working and people's reviews and photos on what they have caught on them!
Pog
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Yellow Hobie PA 12

Berkley 'Gulp' Sandworms

Post by Pog »

Just throwing this topic 'out there' for comment. I'm wondering if there are many/any fisho's that have used the 'Gulp' sandworms on our King George whiting recently, and with any success?. (I have done some 'searches', however nothing really comes uprelating to KGW). A few members use them in the 'Patto' for bream from time to time.

What appears, to be the 'ideal' rig, Running sinker, paternoster, or utilising some type of jig head?

There are a lot of very experienced 'fisho's' on this forum, and I'm very curious if 'they' work here in Vic. :up:

Cheers,

"Pog"
Bretty
Yak Master
kayak: HOBIE OUTBACK RED

Re: Berkley 'Gulp' Sandworms

Post by Bretty »

Yep they work and so do turtlebacks :thumbsup:
Here's a link to a trip report http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9215
Brett
Wannabe Fisherman
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by Wannabe Fisherman »

We watched the whiting jump on the sandworms at queenscliff, they definitely work, but the toadies love em too.
http://www.youtube.com/KayakFishingVids - Currently a work in progress
Ph. 0425 86 30 67
Munroe
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 14, 420 Renegade

Post by Munroe »

I have found that the pumpkin seed minnow grub gets slammed by the KGW aswell. I have not targeted them but I've had no trouble catching a few from the weedy sections of Avalon while drifting for the rock flatties.
Munroe
http://www.munroessoftplastics.com.au
PB snapper-83cm Flathead-68cm, Dusky Flathead-80cm,EP-39cm Bream- 38cm,Tailor-58cm, Mulloway-85cm
itsakeeper
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Lanai

Post by itsakeeper »

Yes they work but for me they seem to attract the smaller whiting and in Westernport the toads and wrasse wolf them down! My theory is that the bigger whiting prefer a still bait. I will only slow troll a bait if the whiting are baby sized (30cm) in which case they will follow a moving bait, sometimes up to mid-water. In those circumstances the plastic worms work fine.
dilwad
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Oasis

Post by dilwad »

I tend to cut them up into short sections to get more out of each worm because of the by catch. Have caught lots of whiting but also plenty of salmon, trevs, toadies and luderick (Eden).

Easier to limit by catch with baits
Carbine
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2015 Hobie outback Yellow and 2010 outback olive

Post by Carbine »

I was fishing for whiting at crib point a couple of months ago using the gulp worms "camo colour" exclusively. They loved them but I would recommend a stinger hook as I found that they kept blighting the tails off. :x
Score: Fish-1, Carbine-0
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

I have caught KG ting from time to time on berkley gulp worms ,but for me I cant go past pipies or fresh squid
mob 0423 492 759
Pog
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Yellow Hobie PA 12

Post by Pog »

Thanks for taking the time for some informative posts :up:........ I'll have to get a pack or two of the 'Cameo' colour to try, and might utilise the 'stinger' option as well.....(good idea).

"Bretty", thanks for putting up the link to fishing out of Barwon Heads with "Vidikin", that looked like a BIG day for sure and certainly gave the viewer, a pretty good idea what it was like "eyeballing" those conditions.

Jeesus, there's not much 'freeboard' in an 'Outback' is there???

Good to see you don't go out alone in seas like that, as the sea always wins!

Cheers,

"Pog"
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

One whiting says to the other "Is it only me or do the sandworms taste different lately?"

Grin~