Stiffy minnows

What lures are working and people's reviews and photos on what they have caught on them!
loboloco
Lord of the fish
kayak: single sit on top

Stiffy minnows

Post by loboloco »

Hi all, I have heard good things about the stiffy minnow for bream. I have used them on my last couple of trips while hunting for bream and haven't had any success. They seem to have a very slow, wide wobble in comparison to most of the other small bream hardbodies out there.
I seem to have to pull it through the water about 1/2 - 1m to get it to 'wobble' e few times, for comparison, an sx40 will 'wobble' on even the smallest of twitches. I have been having trouble working them in the strike zone.

To those that have used them with success, my question is: What techniques do you use (e.g. slow roll, twitches....) and which colors have worked for you?
minnows.jpg
Cheers
Loboloco
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Re: Stiffy minnows

Post by bilby »

Yeah mate, i have tried one (silver shad) for a couple of years now, never caught a fish on them. I find the action good, but just can't seem to get a strike out of the bream, i've had heaps more success when i tied on a squidgy 80mm wriggler (bloodworm) ??. Then again i am no bream pro thats for sure, i have heard that the stiffy brown snake color has won a LOT of ABT events, especially on the Gipppsland lakes system.
I reckon either a 50mm squidgy fish, or a 50-80mm wriggler soft plastic, are way more versatile, as you get the added bonus of the lift and drop method , or you can slow roll them out of some very heavy timber on a resin head.
Just my thoughts though, I'm sure / actually i've witnessed Bushy catch some horses on "his" lures.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

To me it sounds like the lures action is being restricted some how;
How are you attaching it to your leader ?
Leader size ?
Leader stiffness ?
Clip size (if you are using clips) ?
Clip style, (egg, round or V) ?
also if you are using clips, did you remove the split ring, some lures are balanced to the ring and if you add a clip (specially with a swivel) the action is not at it's best. Try removing the split ring and put the clip direct to the lure.

I will admit to not using them but have been told to get some by others that swear by there action both slow and fast retrieve. The one thing I have been told contrary to what the manufacturer state's is that they do not cast well, are prone to tangle and seem to flop around in the wind during flight, this may be part of the reason to a slow start of action. Being a floating lure I would not expect great distance from one anyway so possibly this may count for someone's poor casting perspective but as I said I have never used them so cannot comment as to personal experience.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

loboloco
Lord of the fish
kayak: single sit on top

Post by loboloco »

Hey Billby thanks for the reply, where and when did you see bushy in action? That would have been awesome. Yeah Im starting to get into the wrigglers, they are very good :)

ELM, I never use clips for hard bodies, and because they have a swivel I just tie it onto my 4lb or 6lb leader via a uni knot (with no loop). I have heard very good things about them and really want to have them as an asset in my tackle box rather that just another lure......
There is a slight chance that I will be able to go to patto tomorrow so I will give them another run.

Cheers
Loboloco
ELM
Yak Master

Post by ELM »

Try using a loop knot to see what happens to the action, no harm in trying apart from risking line under the split ring.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,

Cheers
Eddie

maccayak
Square eyes
kayak: A clean one with no fish!

Post by maccayak »

The guys on Bream Master Forum seem to like them and there is a new range of colours out.

Geoff
Geoff Mobile 0438 383 764

VYAK Member No 0003
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Post by ratfish »

I've had more success with them as a trout lure rather than bream, although to be fair they probably haven't seen to much action compared to other options in the box.
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

I witnessed Bushy / Starlo and a cameraman filming probably another Squidgy DVD from an awesome looking Squidgy graphic covered Skeeter with a 250HP American flag Etec on the back ( :mrgreen: ) at Mallacoota earlier this year, i was in my boat so i slowly made my way past them (bow mount leccy) and tried to listen in to what they were using. They were the nicest blokes you could meet and there casting is well unbelievable, what i could see was that they were using Stiffy minnows and the devil fish vibes, they caught some cracking fish. I managed a couple and was stoked.
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
jessejaay
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

Post by jessejaay »

they look great !
Cheers,
Jesse.

ELM
Yak Master

Post by ELM »

Yes bump an old thread.

How have you got on with the "Stiffy Minnows" Loboco?

Did you manage to find out what as wrong if anything?

How to fish theses lures with success?

Cheers
Eddie