shimano Wax Wing

What lures are working and people's reviews and photos on what they have caught on them!
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Re: shimano Wax Wing

Post by vikodin »

cheaterparts wrote:
vikodin wrote:There are a couple of species of fish that i think will love these ;) .
bjspinner wrote:Somewhere like Pato hey...
I think jaryd was also thinking outside Barwon heads in warmer weather

I also think out front of Punchbowl rocks around the same time as outside Barwon
and mybe a bit bigger than a 68 mm lure
Yeah you know me well :thumbsup: , I've bought 4 so far and none smaller than the 80mm.
I have a feeling those surface fish will smash those lures, just hope there are a few nicer days this summer.

But Bruce was on the money too.
Pearcy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Quintrex 480 Freedom Sport (pretend its a big yak)

Post by Pearcy »

Jenko wrote:Hey Praz I must be a cheap skate then, because I only use 4,6,8,10lb Black Magic and never had a problem, but I have with some of the more expensive leader.
X2
Pearcy.
viperdevil
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Outfitter & Sevylor Pointer K2

Post by viperdevil »

Pearcy wrote:
Jenko wrote:Hey Praz I must be a cheap skate then, because I only use 4,6,8,10lb Black Magic and never had a problem, but I have with some of the more expensive leader.
X2

I use kamikaze flurocarbon for gummies about $15 delivered for 50 meters but they are not doing 50lb anymore and i use blackmagic for snapper.....thought I will go up lass for gummies and the store was trying to sell me 30meter momoi I think that is how it's spelt for $46
Praz
Windknot
Lord of the fish
kayak: Malibu Mini X & Native Watercraft Propel

Post by Windknot »

I've been interested in trying out new salmon lures for some time now. I'm a lure freak, so I like messing around with them. I bought a couple of the 25g Wax Wings months ago to try out specifically as salmon lures. The anchovy pattern looked particularly nice, so they were the ones I bought.

At around the same time, I bought about 6 x Maria Duplex lures in the 18g and 32g models and some Jackson Pintail lures that weigh 20g. These are traditional looking bibbed lures, but they're different to most lures in that they're extremely heavy for their size. These aren't bad salmon lures, but once again they just can't be cast anywhere near as far as all metal jig lures.

I have changed my ideas on what makes an ideal salmon lure. Now, I only buy all metal slugs. I prefer ones that are weighted at the tail so they travel through the air like a bullet. It's very satisfying to land a long range cast over the back of the breakers into big salmon territory.

I am aware that lures like the Shimano Wax Wing and some others I've mentioned weren't designed specifically as salmon lures, but they're not badly suited to this task, even though they might be better suited to other species and situations.
There's only a fine distinction between fly fishing and standing on the bank looking like an idiot.
cbarker54
Lord of the fish
kayak: Red Outback

Post by cbarker54 »

Windknot wrote:I've been interested in trying out new salmon lures for some time now. I'm a lure freak, so I like messing around with them. I bought a couple of the 25g Wax Wings months ago to try out specifically as salmon lures. The anchovy pattern looked particularly nice, so they were the ones I bought.

At around the same time, I bought about 6 x Maria Duplex lures in the 18g and 32g models and some Jackson Pintail lures that weigh 20g. These are traditional looking bibbed lures, but they're different to most lures in that they're extremely heavy for their size. These aren't bad salmon lures, but once again they just can't be cast anywhere near as far as all metal jig lures.

I have changed my ideas on what makes an ideal salmon lure. Now, I only buy all metal slugs. I prefer ones that are weighted at the tail so they travel through the air like a bullet. It's very satisfying to land a long range cast over the back of the breakers into big salmon territory.

I am aware that lures like the Shimano Wax Wing and some others I've mentioned weren't designed specifically as salmon lures, but they're not badly suited to this task, even though they might be better suited to other species and situations.
I like the Maria Duplex lures. Had a couple of really good sessions using them lately. I'll be tying one on first time everytime from now on I reckon.
CB

I couldnt think of anything witty or funny to say and didnt really want to post my PB fish from the yak cause all I manage to get are toadies so I thought I'd take the time to fill in the blank space and say pretty much absolutely nothing and annoy every-one who has taken the time to read this.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

I had a quick look at the wax wing micro 48 - a new smaller size and may grab a couple in trout and brown trout for playing in some drinking water soon
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657