Commercial scallop harvesting back on in PPB

Into yak based Diving? Talk about it here!
PoddyMullet
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Dagger Drifter 2, Perception Swing, Hobie Revo

Commercial scallop harvesting back on in PPB

Post by PoddyMullet »

bj fisherman
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie sport

Re: Commercial scallop harvesting back on in PPB

Post by bj fisherman »

Hmmmm. At least it's hand harvested.
Pb: snapper 67cm, garfish 44cm, calamari hood 25cm
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

bj fisherman wrote:Hmmmm. At least it's hand harvested.
I think thats a bit plus and yes many wont be keen on commercial scallop fishing PPB - many that are against it still eat scallops though
as least taking shell fish by hand dosen't root the bottom like the old dredging methods

it also means that target sized fish are taken and other smaller fish can be left alone to grow

maybe the commercial netters should have to go to fishing rods and circle hooks so they can release there by catch
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
DOMINATOR
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: hobie outback

Post by DOMINATOR »

I dare say the rec limit will be heavily reduced now to protect the commercial interests. I have heard that this starfish are giving them an absolute hiding along with rays (because of lack of sharks there main predator) when u dive for them u do see a heap of rays and flathead not really too much else.
ANYONE NEEDING A FULLY LICENSED AND INSURED ELECTRICIAN CONTACT DOM ON 0409135701
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Below is cut & paste from DEPI site.

In April 2013 the Government released a proposal to establish a new commercial dive scallop fishery in Port Phillip Bay (the Proposal) and sought views from interested parties.
The Proposal describes how access to the fishery would be allocated, how the fishery would be managed and the arrangements to ensure that recreational fishing would be maintained and protected.

The Proposal was open for public comments for an 8 week period. A total of 123 submissions were received.
The submissions predominately express broad support for the development of the scallop dive fishery, however some concerns were raised about elements of the Proposal. A response to these concerns has been prepared.

For further information please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions or email Kylie.Wohlt@depi.vic.gov.au
What happens next?

Work is now progressing on the next stage to establish the fishery, which will involve commercial parties who have expressed an interest in the auction process. Further information will shortly be available on this website.
If you are interested in gaining commercial access to the fishery and would like to be kept informed, if you have not already done so, please register your interest online.
More information about the timetable is shown below.
Stage 1 - Initial Opening
April 2013
Public release of the Proposal to Establish a Commercial Dive Fishery for Scallops in Port Phillip Bay
Businesses register their interest with DEPI to receive information
May June 2013
Public comment period closes 17 June 2013
Consideration of public submissions
September 2013
Public release of the baseline management standards for the Commercial Dive Fishery for scallops (Port Phillip Bay)
Notification of upcoming public auction
Interested businesses register to participate in the auction

November 2013
Public auction of access entitlement
Entitlement holder seeks all relevant approvals (e.g. food safety)
Fishing may commence.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Below is the link to the frequently asked questions including a map of the zones.
It is interesting to note the common recreation fishing sites are a no go for the commercial zones.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/com ... ip-bay/faq
yakhangger
Lord of the fish
kayak: cool kayak, Hobie Outback !! Adventure Island

Post by yakhangger »

I was listerning to the fishing show on Friday morning, 97.7fm Casey radio, and they were talking to someone in the know and he was saying that, as mentioned already, close in rec diving spots will be off limits they will be targeting only the deeper beds, there is only one licence, there were a few other good points as far as over fishing etc but I can't remember them sorry :oops: . I guess time will tell as to how it is all going to work, and a like for the comment on giving the netters a rod and reel :yahoo: :yahoo: they were also talking about a march in town, Sunday I think, about getting rid of the netters in the bay altogether :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

There have been proposals for commercial diving of scallops, almost every year and has been knocked back each year. I vaguely remember a conversation with whom I think was Grant Leeworthy ( I know it was the person whom had been putting forward all the proposals). At first I was always against it; One, I wanted to protect the recreational side of scallop diving, and Two, just was not aware of the size/amount of the deeper scallop beds.
A shame to see it is up for Auction and Grant and his team need to go through that process after all the work they have done.

Seeing this proposal now being excepted, I think is a good thing, not so much about a commercial fishery being able to work, but more about the opportunity that the starfish problem may become more of an importance.

It was always said the Southern Pacific Starfish (SPSF) would not come around Hovel Pile into the Southern Channel, as the current is to strong. However, now I here most of the scallops from Rosebud down to Portsea are gone, from what I have been told, without any doubt the numbers of scallops due to SPSF, have been heavily reduced and that these pest starfish are even being found under the rock shelves when diving for crayfish in the heads.
Up until now, nothing that I know of apart from a little research, has been done to reduce the SPSF population. Yet if it can be proven that a commercial diving operation could be successful, but the starfish are making a huge impact on the scallop fishery, then they may just inject some funding or even better action to reduce the numbers.

A long shot and about the only hope something will be done.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie