4.2 Pro Ocean Kayak on Ebay any good?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
lunar12
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Extreme Kayaks Outlaw

4.2 Pro Ocean Kayak on Ebay any good?

Post by lunar12 »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-4-2M-SIN ... 2a23db0296

Any owners on this forum?

Seems like a good buy, made from same material as all other popular kayaks (LDPE), 4.2m long so it's faster to paddle, 0.82m wide so it should be stable, 300kg capacity. Hasnt got much of a keel so tracking may be an issue, but whacking a rudder kit on it should fix that.

Good pointy bow stem so it can cut through the chop.
Attachments
42k.JPG
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: 4.2 Pro Ocean Kayak on Ebay any good?

Post by shane »

Chris,
It looks like a lot of the cheap rubbishy yaks on ebay. OK as long as you only want to go out on flat water, don't want to access hatches on the water and don't mind sitting in water that comes over the sides and ends up around your seat. I'd also take the 300kg capacity with a grain of salt.

If you've decided you're in the sport for the long haul then invest in a quality well known brand of yak that suits the type of fishing you are doing. Anything less has a good chance of wasting your money and leading to a lot of regrets or worse still, putting you in danger.
Shane.
0408 565 763
RayS
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by RayS »

Have to agree with Shane. And it just feels wrong that they include the phrase "Ocean Kayak" in the name because no matter how you look at it, it is NOT an Ocean Kayak.

Unless you are in a hurry to buy or are totally committed to getting something brand new, consider holding off for a couple of weeks as I am looking at selling my Kingfisher when I finally get the Quest squared away. I can promise you it will be a much better yak and a couple of hundred bucks cheaper too.

Sorry, this is not meant to be an ad, but I just don't want to see you, or anyone else make a mistake and even if the KIngy isn't your cup of tea there are a lot better yaks on the second hand market than that one mate.
cheers Ray
0422 63 64 65
"It's 5 o'clock somewhere"
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

most yaks that I have seen are HDPE.
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Justo
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by Justo »

Chris, if I were you I wouldn't let the golden opportunity that Ray has given you slip through your fingers. The Kingfisher is an excellent yak with many supporters on this forum.
lunar12

Post by lunar12 »

Thanks for the feedback guys. Wasn't tempted to buy it anyway, but was wondering if anyone actually owned one of these for a longer period.

I have nothing against Chinese made products. The reality is that these days most of the goods we use are made in Asia. I bet that 95% if not all clothes we wear are mae in China, kitchenware, bedding, sporting goods, car parts etc.

Just because it is made in China doesnt mean its a poor quality kayak IMO.
lunar12

Post by lunar12 »

RayS wrote:Have to agree with Shane. And it just feels wrong that they include the phrase "Ocean Kayak" in the name because no matter how you look at it, it is NOT an Ocean Kayak.

Unless you are in a hurry to buy or are totally committed to getting something brand new, consider holding off for a couple of weeks as I am looking at selling my Kingfisher when I finally get the Quest squared away. I can promise you it will be a much better yak and a couple of hundred bucks cheaper too.

Sorry, this is not meant to be an ad, but I just don't want to see you, or anyone else make a mistake and even if the KIngy isn't your cup of tea there are a lot better yaks on the second hand market than that one mate.
Thanks for the info and offer. I've looked at the Kingfisher, sat in one and am not comfortable in it. It also was rated at 150kg capacity. I am a big man at 120kg and 6'10".
Last edited by lunar12 on 28 Oct 2013, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.
rayso
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Adventure Island

Post by rayso »

Id be concerned they are playing on the good rep of Ocean Pro Kayaks.
It's more fun doing it on a yak and even more fun with a sail
0429 622004
Justo
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by Justo »

lunar12 wrote: I am a big man at 120kg and 6'7".
That's not big, that's enormous ;) , which would certainly make selecting a suitable yak a bit more of a challenge.
lunar12

Post by lunar12 »

Justo wrote:
lunar12 wrote: I am a big man at 120kg and 6'7".
That's not big, that's enormous ;) , which would certainly make selecting a suitable yak a bit more of a challenge.
That was a typo, I'm 120kg and 6'10.

Yeap ... thats why I just can't seem to find the right boat.