Newbie.. needs some advice...

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Jay
Square eyes
kayak: 2014 Hobie Quest 13, 2015 Hobie Outback

Re: Newbie.. needs some advice...

Post by Jay »

I've got a Malibu Mini X up for sale - haven't listed it yet but It's a great beginner yak.

I just sent you a PM
RayS
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by RayS »

Welcome to the forum. Read the safety section.

As for a yak, depends on your budget. Personally if it's under $1k I'd suggest taking a kingfisher for a trial. I love mine and its the second one I've owned with a Hobie quest 13 between the two. The new Aquayak Ranger looks pretty damn sweet too but I haven't trialled one. If you have a decent budget.....don't mess around go straight to one of the Hobie peddle yaks. The outback is a good yak though you may be a little long in the leg for one.

Good luck. Buy a yak and your life is over as you know it it.
cheers Ray
0422 63 64 65
"It's 5 o'clock somewhere"
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I have an older version of the ORU kayak you link to. It was my first yak, and i keep it for accessing rivers etc where I may have to drag it down a bank bashing on rocks etc. ie no tide, waves, and little gear, maximum maneuverability. I took it on the bay twice (not far) and would not do so again. A strong wind could find you unable to get back to launch. Even on open lakes (Eildon etc) you can struggle. This applies to all yaks that size. It is as good as any that size. That price is the going rate (ignore rrp)

A yak around 12 foot plus is required on the bays, as others have stated. For just under $1000, Kingfisher is the benchmark. Sometimes the chains can have models on sale for slightly less. Apart from that you are looking at second hand, you may even get extras thrown in. You get more options for a new one once you go over the $1000

If you are keen you will start throwing money at it, so getting a good one to start with even if that means delaying the add ons, is the best idea.
romeo victor
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie PA 12

Post by romeo victor »

Hello Newbie,

Welcome to VYAK.

To support Maverick's input, if you are a serious fisherman, you need both hands free and to do that you need a good, pedal kayak. As Maverick suggests, you cannot go past any Hobie kayak with the amazing Mirage drive system. Even the dolphins love to join us in the salt water.

Any brand/style of beer is good, even dark ones but each to his/her own choice!!!!!! However, not while you are out in the kayak!!!!

Enjoy your re-entry into a great sport/past-time,
dansousa
Apprentice
kayak: Simple one

Post by dansousa »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback/help so far...

What can you say about Fish4Fun's "Malibu Mini X"?
I'd prefer to buy from you guys here than from ebay or some other sites...

Thanks laneends, I'll stay away from those...

And Romeo, I agree with "no beer out in the kayak"...

Cheers
Dan
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Hi Daniel,
For what it is worth here is a copy of what I put together when I was looking for a yak. I have left out all yaks under 3 metres long as I personally believe they have no place in the bay other than messing around in the breakers. This is by no means an exhaustive list and many,may disagree with it. I am no expert by any means, and it is only meant to help you start your own research as it is your money and ultimately safety in question. Lastly this table is merely a comparison, it is not to say that fishing 1 kayaks are slow and that fishing 2 kayaks are not stable, everything is relative. Good luck with the search!
yak comparison.jpg
Edit: Tarpon's and a few newer yaks added to the table to keep it current.
Last edited by Seasherpa on 14 Feb 2014, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

FishnDive wrote:Hi Daniel,
For what it is worth here is a copy of what I put together when I was looking for a yak. I have left out all yaks under 3 metres long as I personally believe they have no place in the bay other than messing around in the breakers. I have also only listed the Hobie pedal yaks as the dealers are nearby. There are others available such as the Native Watercraft. This is by no means an exhaustive list and many,may disagree with it. I am no expert by any means, and it is only meant to help you start your own research as it is your money and ultimately safety in question. Lastly this table is merely a comparison, it is not to say that fishing 1 kayaks are slow and that fishing 2 kayaks are not stable, everything is relative. Good luck with the search!
yak comparison.jpg
awesome work, a flowchart on kayaks :up:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Ghurkin wrote:
For what it is worth here is a copy of what I put together when I was looking for a yak. I have left out all yaks under 3 metres long as I personally believe they have no place in the bay other than messing around in the breakers. I have also only listed the Hobie pedal yaks as the dealers are nearby. There are others available such as the Native Watercraft. This is by no means an exhaustive list and many,may disagree with it. I am no expert by any means, and it is only meant to help you start your own research as it is your money and ultimately safety in question. Lastly this table is merely a comparison, it is not to say that fishing 1 kayaks are slow and that fishing 2 kayaks are not stable, everything is relative. Good luck with the search!
yak comparison.jpg
awesome work, a flowchart on kayaks :up:
Cheers Steve, its a start at least and helped me make some sense of whats on offer, it might be controversial though, as I didn't include the outback in the all rounder column despite owning one myself :lol: The other thing is that most people would probably start looking at second hand yaks in order to get further down the page, but then things like warranty come into play. Its hard deciding what to shell out your hard earned on that's for sure.
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Post by Gozz »

yak comparison.jpg
You teachers love your charts. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Post by Gozz »

I had a kingfisher for a while and I highly recommend them.
Very safe yak and if you plug the bungs under the seat with pool noodle they stay pretty dry.