Newbie.. needs some advice...

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Re: Newbie.. needs some advice...

Post by vikodin »

FishnDive wrote:Hi Daniel,
For what it is worth here is a copy of what I put together when I was looking for a yak. I have left out all yaks under 3 metres long as I personally believe they have no place in the bay other than messing around in the breakers. I have also only listed the Hobie pedal yaks as the dealers are nearby. There are others available such as the Native Watercraft. This is by no means an exhaustive list and many,may disagree with it. I am no expert by any means, and it is only meant to help you start your own research as it is your money and ultimately safety in question. Lastly this table is merely a comparison, it is not to say that fishing 1 kayaks are slow and that fishing 2 kayaks are not stable, everything is relative. Good luck with the search!
yak comparison.jpg
That's bloody good work there mate, I hope admin use that for the beginner forum. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Agree with all the above comments on the Wavedance Kingies and the Hobie yaks, all excellent choices.
If you feel you can find something on your own i believe there is 4 key points to look for in a fishing yak.
1- Find a yak with high freeboard (distance from water to top of yak)
2- Look for a yak with a rear cargo well that is seperate from the seat well (stops water coming in from the stern causing a wet arse)
3- Look for a hull that has a nice big keel and a wide hull, pro's - stability at rest, high payload. Con's - bit wave slappy and not real fast, but great for fishing :)
4- Make sure you can get access to the hatches whilst onboard, sounds silly but its easy to oversee what looks great in the showroom can be useless when out on the water.
Hope this helps somewhat.
Bilbz
Bill 0409139460
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

vikodin wrote:
FishnDive wrote:Hi Daniel,
For what it is worth here is a copy of what I put together when I was looking for a yak. I have left out all yaks under 3 metres long as I personally believe they have no place in the bay other than messing around in the breakers. I have also only listed the Hobie pedal yaks as the dealers are nearby. There are others available such as the Native Watercraft. This is by no means an exhaustive list and many,may disagree with it. I am no expert by any means, and it is only meant to help you start your own research as it is your money and ultimately safety in question. Lastly this table is merely a comparison, it is not to say that fishing 1 kayaks are slow and that fishing 2 kayaks are not stable, everything is relative. Good luck with the search!
yak comparison.jpg
That's bloody good work there mate, I hope admin use that for the beginner forum. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Cheers Jarryd, can't help him with fishing though :lol:
dansousa
Apprentice
kayak: Simple one

Post by dansousa »

Thanks guys.

Lots of great info.... will be analysing it all over the weekend...

Can anyone help with the fishing? At least some advice... :mrgreen:

Cheers :thumbsup:
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

D
dansousa wrote:Thanks guys.

Lots of great info.... will be analysing it all over the weekend...

Can anyone help with the fishing? At least some advice... :mrgreen:

Cheers :thumbsup:
There are three main sources of fishing advice on here Daniel, the launch spots threads will help research where to go and should be coupled with a good analysis of the weather forecast. http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=35
The trip reports thread will give you a heads up as to what is being caught where http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=21
Lastly post a fishing trip of where you want to go here: http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=22 and you may get a buddie or ask to tag along on a trip someone else is organising and learn from those you fish with. There is nothing like a bit of local knowledge to help you get started.
Best of luck!
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

When it comes to learning how to catch fish, the rule is copy, copy,copy, until you have earned the right to original thinking. I'm still working out how to get the xerox working. :evilgrin:

Assumption is the mother of all doughnuts..!
dansousa
Apprentice
kayak: Simple one

Post by dansousa »

Thanks Fishndive...