Can you be a Yak fisher by mind only?

New? Say G'Day here!
justnorm
Apprentice
kayak: Native Slayer 10 and Aquayak Ranger

Can you be a Yak fisher by mind only?

Post by justnorm »

Name Norm. 63 years old, but because I have spent the last year building our granny flat in the back yard. Am quite (very) fit (except for an austio arthritic big toe)
Have in the past used a tinny. I have read the safety etc parts, will have to get some suitable clothing etc. will decide when the weight of evidence is overwhelming.`I really think I will take the plunge, ? live in kilsyth.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Can you be a Yak fisher by mind only?

Post by laneends »

As far as fitness is concerned, you have to ask yourself if you tip over can you climb back in. If yes then you should be ok as long as you stay within your capabilities.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Plenty of people with a well matured age, take part in active sports (look at cheater) and I do not think kayak fishing should be any different. Also, it's not about how far or how fast you can go, it's about getting out offshore for a fish, "safely".

First point to making an informed decision, should be about if you are able to remount if you were to capsize. Sadly to many people ignore this and have never even tried. Not only do they risk their own lives, but also the people whom have to came to their aid when they find them selves in trouble.

There is a group whom teach these skills and so you can make an informed decision, it may be worth paying them a visit and doing a course first. It's a sad day when you have spent so much to get out on the water, only to find you can not safely take part in the sport, and have to sell your gear.

I sure hope you are able to get out on a kayak safely, as it is a great sport. But be smart and safe, make informed decisions before you take unnecessary risks or spend to much money.

:wave1: I like flathead tails if you catch to many also, just saying and putting my hand up before anyone else ;) :lol:
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

Chuckle....sounds like me ATM.

I was probably 63 or 64 when I bought a kayak. I loved it but restricted myself to situations where I felt confident of my abilities, or in other words no offshore.

I have moved back to a tinny in the last year but that is due to specific problems involving vertigo.

Take your time and build up your experience and you will be fine. Most of all enjoy yourself!
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

ELM wrote:Plenty of people with a well matured age, take part in active sports (look at cheater)
Settle down Eddie - I'm not that manured - it just the hard life and miss spent youth that makes me look older
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

cheaterparts wrote:
ELM wrote:Plenty of people with a well matured age, take part in active sports (look at cheater)
Settle down Eddie - I'm not that manured - it just the hard life and miss spent youth that makes me look older
LOL!
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

cheaterparts wrote:
lol well you give me a lot of S#!^ so maybe you are well manured :lol:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Bretty
Yak Master
kayak: HOBIE OUTBACK RED

Post by Bretty »

Ghurkin wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:
:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:
Brett
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Ghurkin wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:
That would explain the brown strips :lol:
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

tonystott
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Tandem Island

Post by tonystott »

I recently met a 64 year old guy out on the local lake. He was sitting in his glass kayak. Six years ago, the doctors told him he needed a heart transplant. Last year he paddled the entire length of the Murray River.

Of course, you always have the option of getting a multihull kayak like a Hobie Adventure Iland. Apart from being extremely versatile on the water, you could also think of them as "mobility kayaks", ideal for people who aren't as sprightly as they once were.
2012 Hobie Tandem Island
"SIC EM"