Kayak Suitable Clothing, Pro's & Con's.

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Re: Kayak Suitable Clothing, Pro's & Con's.

Post by cruiser »

4liters wrote:How easy to find are those face protector things? Are they UV resistant? I'd prefer not to use sunscreen because I reckon the fish don't like it.
If you are talking about the buffs BCF sell them and maybe the odd tackle shop .There are plenty to chose from on line too
mob 0423 492 759
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Thanks for that, I'm an idiot. Someone had made a thread a month ago linking to a site with 80% off and I'd even posted in it, but I'd completely forgotten about it. Ended up with a couple of face shields and a set of sleeves for less than $20 delivered.
http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5 ... ilit=buffs
http://www.sateam.company/
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Very happy with the quality of my SA Team buffs. Shipping takes a little while but for $20 you get 5.
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

Wind Waker wrote:Very happy with the quality of my SA Team buffs. Shipping takes a little while but for $20 you get 5.
Some of their designs are a bit radicle.......just imagine having the Water Police visit with you at dusk...the Joker would have them reaching for the taser :yahoo:
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

I grabbed a pink one for her, two aussie flags, a black camo thing and the blue mask that looks like mortal combat. Nice and lightweight
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Hvalross wrote:
Wind Waker wrote:Very happy with the quality of my SA Team buffs. Shipping takes a little while but for $20 you get 5.
Some of their designs are a bit radicle.......just imagine having the Water Police visit with you at dusk...the Joker would have them reaching for the taser :yahoo:
I got the Rasta one, and a red and white digi one for when I'm feeling a bit more conservative.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

Visited with a Scuba Dive Shop in Geelong to purchase sharkskins. They did not have any one piece suits, and reading various posts I have opted for a Sharkskinz "VEST" it leaves the arms free, is a nice snug fit and provides essential thermal cover for my core......and that is what really needs to hold the heat.

I would appreciate some guidance with respect to having a properly fitting Kokatat pants with this over?
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

The optimum way of wearing kokotats is to have the waist band direct onto your skin. That way you can go for a swim and have minimal water entry. If you do feel you want some clothing between your band and the skin then keep it as little as possible and make sure the velcro is tight.
0408 565 763
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

shane wrote:The optimum way of wearing kokotats is to have the waist band direct onto your skin. That way you can go for a swim and have minimal water entry. If you do feel you want some clothing between your band and the skin then keep it as little as possible and make sure the velcro is tight.
Yep! thats what I was alluding to "fitted" as per the post herein..that is fingers in the waistband and squat to push as much air out as possible....direct contact with bare skin ooooH!. then the Sharkskinz vest pulled on...it would overlap a bit..I am assuming that the skinz is not going to be compromised by overlapping the waistband cos the fit around my arms is not SUPER tight, I still have blood getting to my arms :laughing1:

know about water in 'waders' from fly fishing days........and just don't believe a person could pull waders off at sea......slash and toss is more like it, and that if air doesn't float your legs and drown you first!!!

I have been wearing the 'skinz most of the afternoon under a regular cotton shirt to find out if it would get too warm....did a bit of strenuous exercise around the farm and its remained quite comfortable really.
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

I put my kakatats on first and do up the velcro then I put my thermal top on and pull it down over the top of the waistband. There's quite a bit of overlap but I've never felt cold.