Shark Shields

Discussion about gear used for offshore yakking.
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Re: Shark Shields

Post by Jordo »

4liters wrote:Have a read of the Terrorgraph's thoughts on the matter (Bolded for WTF?? :wtf: )
HUMAN cullers. Leg maulers. Life destroyers. Great white sharks. This year, the NSW north coast has had six gut-wrenching attacks, one which saw much-loved local Tadashi Nakahara lose his life at just 41 following an attack at Shelly Beach.

Former boxer Craig Ison, 51, an affable larrikin, would have died if his fighting instincts didn’t kick in at Evans Head two weeks ago, and Matt Lee, 32, is fighting infection in the Gold Coast University Hospital after both his legs were mauled in an attack at Lighthouse Beach, Ballina last month.

These surfers were doing nothing more than enjoying the beauty and tranquillity of the ocean. Why should they be punished for that? These men did not enter the water with spears, nor did they paddle out with the intention of harming marine life. They wanted to enjoy the peacefulness of the ocean but instead they were given a life sentence.

What if you were at the beach with your son or daughter, your partner or your mother, and one of these sharks thought your loved one looked a tasty morsel and took them down in a murderous attack? Would that be OK? How would you feel then?

Would you still be keen to cuddle up to a great white at night? :wtf:

These surfers were doing nothing more than enjoying the beauty and tranquillity of the ocean. Why should they be punished for that?

At least five great whites — some more than 5m long — have made their home along the north coast and are routinely stalking the surf break.

These predators have been spotted within 50m of the shore, lurking, ready to say hello and take you as an afternoon snack, if you so happen to be in the water.

:wtf: The ocean is our domain and sharks have no place destroying lives and livelihoods; these predators are lurking out there ready to cull humans and we as a community must find a permanent solution. :wtf:

Tourism is slowing. The people are not coming. Surfers are not surfing. If this continues into summer, the seaside towns of Lennox Head and Evans Head, even Ballina, will be no more.

We won’t have to worry about sharks because there will be no one living on the coast. The shark will have won.

We are not all the size, nor do we have the adeptness of the revered Mick Fanning, who could fight off his attacker in South Africa.

We don’t all have a lifetime of boxing prowess like Craig Ison. Most of us couldn’t fight our way out of a paper bag. It’s time to act.

Great whites should no longer be a protective species; sharks do not treat humans as a protected species.

We must legalise the killing of the sharks that kill us.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/o ... 1439263958
Wow, I thought that must have been a joke as I read it. I can't believe that would be published, what a load of crap! As far as I'm concerned sharks live in the water, that is their home. So when people start saying 'oh my god, there is a shark in the water!' I think, well yeah that's where they live stupid... Now if you saw one driving a car down the street then that would be worth talking about.
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
Jordo
Square eyes

Post by Jordo »

cheaterparts wrote:
shane wrote:What a Stupid Ridiculous article. I doubt the "journalist" Laura Banks has anything to do with surfing. The comments below the article pretty much say it all. The vast majority of Australians don't support a cull and I expect the rate would be even higher among surfers.
I have to agree Shane -- I'll support the cull on Whites when and only when they start chasing people down the street

Long before we need to cull sharks - we should ban cars , M/cycles , horse riding and a lot of other much more dangerous activities

Laura Banks is a F/wit
X2
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by cotso »

Really guys all this talk of sharks is getting blown out of proportion. I will admit they can blow the s--t meter off the scale, myself having had six encounters with sharks while surfing BUT that's in 49 years of surfing. I've had countless dawn and dusk surfs where surf fishermen have been fishing for hours, must admit I do get the heebie geebies at times but like what's been said above you're pretty safe in a kayak.
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

cotso wrote:Really guys all this talk of sharks is getting blown out of proportion. I will admit they can blow the s--t meter off the scale, myself having had six encounters with sharks while surfing BUT that's in 49 years of surfing. I've had countless dawn and dusk surfs where surf fishermen have been fishing for hours, must admit I do get the heebie geebies at times but like what's been said above you're pretty safe in a kayak.

We're up to five pages so if nothing else it creates a bit of discussion in the middle of winter, when both fishing and Ghurkin are quiet :lol:
I'm still as I started, not overly worried about the presence of toothies, but if a shield comes up second hand at the right price I might pick one up. I've had a big clear out of fishing stuff over the last few weeks so I probably need to buy something :D
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

FishnDive wrote:
cotso wrote:Really guys all this talk of sharks is getting blown out of proportion. I will admit they can blow the s--t meter off the scale, myself having had six encounters with sharks while surfing BUT that's in 49 years of surfing. I've had countless dawn and dusk surfs where surf fishermen have been fishing for hours, must admit I do get the heebie geebies at times but like what's been said above you're pretty safe in a kayak.

We're up to five pages so if nothing else it creates a bit of discussion in the middle of winter, when both fishing and Ghurkin are quiet :lol:
I'm still as I started, not overly worried about the presence of toothies, but if a shield comes up second hand at the right price I might pick one up. I've had a big clear out of fishing stuff over the last few weeks so I probably need to buy something :D
Just to keep the thread going :clap:
Here's your new shark suit :yahoo:
Attachments
ARMOUR.jpg
ARMOUR.jpg (12.38 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
John 3.16/17
Jordo
Square eyes

Post by Jordo »

^ latest technology that. I heard it hasnt ever been officially released yet, kudos for getting a hold of one ;)
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

Chainmail shark suits are a thing. Not sure if they still make them though.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

AP-M wrote:Chainmail shark suits are a thing. Not sure if they still make them though.

Chainmail is bloody expensive stuff in my experience as a meatworker. Elbow length glove alone is around 180, aprons are over 200 !!!
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

choppers wrote:
AP-M wrote:Chainmail shark suits are a thing. Not sure if they still make them though.

Chainmail is bloody expensive stuff in my experience as a meatworker. Elbow length glove alone is around 180, aprons are over 200 !!!
And prosthetic limbs are covered by medicare. I know which one is more cost effective :thumbsup:
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

choppers wrote:

Yeah we had some chainmail gloves where I use to work that covered just hand and I think they were about $100 each. I did some googling and the shark suits start at around US$5000 for a stainless steel chainmail one and go all the way up to US$20,000 for some sort of titanium mesh material. They seem to be quite effective for divers who need them though.