Shark Shields

Discussion about gear used for offshore yakking.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Re: Shark Shields

Post by Steve_R »

FishnDive wrote:
Steve_R wrote:
Yako wrote: This video doesn't look very reassuring. The fish is static & the diver is static under it & looks a bit freaked out :)
That's the Shark Shield Youtube channel. You wouldn't expect them to tell you something like this, which might make people think twice before paying big dollars for peace of mind.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/shark- ... ,4907.html

The comments below the article make for interesting reading too.
So does other spin put on the story by ABC
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-02-28/e ... at/1057460

Absolute proof that a Shark Shield sitting switched off in a cupboard is going to provide zero protection but its the other part of the story that that is the cause for concern. Flat battery? Faulty device? GWS don't give a damn when they are hungry? Whatever happened, it's no an isolated incident. They've failed on GWS before.

There is an older story in which an electronic device failed on a GWS. In this case, they guy was wearing it and his mate said he felt the Shark Pod pulsing when he pulled the guy out of the water. The Police formed an opinion he did not have it swtitched on the whole time the shark was in his vicinity. Also, it appears he didn't follow instructions about the placement of electrodes.
The short version from The Age
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/ ... 19519.html

The Coroner's findings:
http://www.courts.sa.gov.au/CoronersFin ... illiam.pdf

The main lesson from the story for kayakers seems to be that it is no use switching on your SS when you see a GWS. By then it is likely to be too late. Also, use it exactly in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Good info Steve :thumbsup:
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

I've read plenty of direct testimony from guys in Qld and NSW on kayaks turning on their shark shields and seeing an instant flight reaction from nearby sharks. However non of these were GWS (tigers, bulls, hammers etc) and if one is intent on getting its prey I don't think any electronic device will help. GWS attack in deeper water by charging from beneath and hitting the target with such force that they often launch into the air. For a surfer this would mean they're caught in the jaws as the board offers little protection. By contrast in some of the GWS kayak attacks I've read, the kayak gave more protection to the paddler. The point is that a charging GWS is going to be at full pace by the time they enter the electronic field. If a large shark or GWS is surveying a potential target then the shark shield may give some deterrent. Often large sharks are curious and will take a bite to determine if the object is something they can eat. In this case something like a shark shield could offer a helpful deterrent. However it is never going to guarantee your safety.
0408 565 763
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

Am currently researching on alternative shark deterrence device (in case shark shield is way out my budget range) that is currently on the market, but limited review on, Sharkbanz.

It uses strong rare earth magnet instead of battery operated electronic pulse like sharkshield. Unfortunately, this will have very short range comparing to shark shield....... but the price is at $89 per pop, it can be a great alternative as deterrence in case accidentally fall into the water during the trip, and sharks are around.....
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

CrazyChenski wrote:Am currently researching on alternative shark deterrence device (in case shark shield is way out my budget range) that is currently on the market, but limited review on, Sharkbanz.

It uses strong rare earth magnet instead of battery operated electronic pulse like sharkshield. Unfortunately, this will have very short range comparing to shark shield....... but the price is at $89 per pop, it can be a great alternative as deterrence in case accidentally fall into the water during the trip, and sharks are around.....
My personal opinion. Don't waste your time. A lucky rabbits foot/squid jig/bottle of snake oil is generally cheaper and may be as effective. The shark shield has at least been properly tested and puts out an electronic fields many orders of magnitude stronger than any magnet. I don't believe there is any peer reviewed science or testing behind the Sharkbanz (and I've looked), just lots of marketing spin by people out to make a buck.
0408 565 763
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

shane wrote:
CrazyChenski wrote:Am currently researching on alternative shark deterrence device (in case shark shield is way out my budget range) that is currently on the market, but limited review on, Sharkbanz.

My personal opinion. Don't waste your time. A lucky rabbits foot/squid jig/bottle of snake oil is generally cheaper and may be as effective. The shark shield has at least been properly tested and puts out an electronic fields many orders of magnitude stronger than any magnet. I don't believe there is any peer reviewed science or testing behind the Sharkbanz (and I've looked), just lots of marketing spin by people out to make a buck.

Been reading up some of the post from various surf/diving forum and think that's the case. At least it was good read before i make any decision. Ultimately, I still have my heart set on Sharkshield (scuba7), because I'm contemplating to get back to diving again sometime next year, so it would be good use in long term.
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

Whilst I understand the deep seated fear of shark attack has been re-invigorated by the number incidents this year but really guys you are more likely to die in a car crash driving to the launching place than to be harassed by a shark let alone attacked by one.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Yes and no.

Agreed the chance is remote but elevated where they are going. Why risk it?

You are more likely to die on your way to the race track but you wear the helmet when you get there not on the way there.

Its because of heightened risks.
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Have a read of the Terrorgraph's thoughts on the matter (Bolded for WTF?? :wtf: )
HUMAN cullers. Leg maulers. Life destroyers. Great white sharks. This year, the NSW north coast has had six gut-wrenching attacks, one which saw much-loved local Tadashi Nakahara lose his life at just 41 following an attack at Shelly Beach.

Former boxer Craig Ison, 51, an affable larrikin, would have died if his fighting instincts didn’t kick in at Evans Head two weeks ago, and Matt Lee, 32, is fighting infection in the Gold Coast University Hospital after both his legs were mauled in an attack at Lighthouse Beach, Ballina last month.

These surfers were doing nothing more than enjoying the beauty and tranquillity of the ocean. Why should they be punished for that? These men did not enter the water with spears, nor did they paddle out with the intention of harming marine life. They wanted to enjoy the peacefulness of the ocean but instead they were given a life sentence.

What if you were at the beach with your son or daughter, your partner or your mother, and one of these sharks thought your loved one looked a tasty morsel and took them down in a murderous attack? Would that be OK? How would you feel then?

Would you still be keen to cuddle up to a great white at night? :wtf:

These surfers were doing nothing more than enjoying the beauty and tranquillity of the ocean. Why should they be punished for that?

At least five great whites — some more than 5m long — have made their home along the north coast and are routinely stalking the surf break.

These predators have been spotted within 50m of the shore, lurking, ready to say hello and take you as an afternoon snack, if you so happen to be in the water.

:wtf: The ocean is our domain and sharks have no place destroying lives and livelihoods; these predators are lurking out there ready to cull humans and we as a community must find a permanent solution. :wtf:

Tourism is slowing. The people are not coming. Surfers are not surfing. If this continues into summer, the seaside towns of Lennox Head and Evans Head, even Ballina, will be no more.

We won’t have to worry about sharks because there will be no one living on the coast. The shark will have won.

We are not all the size, nor do we have the adeptness of the revered Mick Fanning, who could fight off his attacker in South Africa.

We don’t all have a lifetime of boxing prowess like Craig Ison. Most of us couldn’t fight our way out of a paper bag. It’s time to act.

Great whites should no longer be a protective species; sharks do not treat humans as a protected species.

We must legalise the killing of the sharks that kill us.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/o ... 1439263958
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

What a Stupid Ridiculous article. I doubt the "journalist" Laura Banks has anything to do with surfing. The comments below the article pretty much say it all. The vast majority of Australians don't support a cull and I expect the rate would be even higher among surfers.
0408 565 763