How are you supposed to move a 5m + Ski?

General offshore yakking discussion.
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Re: How are you supposed to move a 5m + Ski?

Post by Jordo »

I spoke to a few guys from the world of ORSs yesterday, they have even longer yaks than us (5.5-6.5m) and had no idea the laws have changed. I emailed the links for the legislation and what not to them. They plan to give them a read over and write to members of parliament to see if something to be done. Hopefully with people contacting them from multiple angles they might do something, though I doubt it. If you want something done you usually have to do it yourself, and I have no plans of becoming a polly. So I think I'll do the best I can to work around the laws, and will just have to cop a fine if my best doesn't cut it.
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Just went down the street and followed a Highway Patrol cop so followed the cop to the station, turned out to be a VERY attractive blonde. I explained what I wanted to know and she said they work on 60% of the vehicles wheelbase. I showed her the pdf printout from Vicroads and she said she's never seen it before.
Turns out she's a kayaker......a very pretty one....so of coarse I had to chat for awhile. She pretty much said what Smish was told.
She also mentioned the ski's and said as long as they are not sticking out the back extensively, she couldn't see a problem, but again, this is her opinion.(as nice as it was....did I mention she was attractive) :lol:

This is the only law I can find written
ROAD SAFETY (VEHICLES) REGULATIONS 2009 - REG 169
Rear overhang

(1) The maximum rear overhang for a semi-trailer or a dog trailer is the lesser of—

(a) 60% of the distance between the point of articulation at the front and the rear overhang line; and

(b) 3·7 metres.

Reg. 169(2) revoked by S.R. No. 150/2013 reg. 20(g).

(3) The maximum rear overhang for a trailer with only one axle group or single axle, other than a semi-trailer, is the lesser of—

(a) the length of the load carrying area, or body, ahead of the rear overhang line; and

(b) 3·7 metres.

(4) The maximum rear overhang for a vehicle not referred to in subregulation (1) or (3) is the lesser of—

(a) 60% of the distance between the centre of the front axle and the rear overhang line; and

(b) 3·7 metres.

Reg. 169(5) revoked by S.R. No. 150/2013 reg. 20(g).

Reg. 170 substituted by S.R. No. 150/2013 reg. 23.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Jenko wrote:Interesting as I've just left the Warrnambool Vicroads who said no overhang. I asked for the relevant rule in print and they just refered me to the pdf posted on here......so who's right? I can also tell you that I don't take much faith in what a cop tells you...went into a cop shop on a different matter and got 3 different opinions from 3 cops, they were still arguing when I left.

To be a law it has to be written somewhere, I'm now determined to find it.
Feel free to go into Nth Melb police station, a major metropolitan precinct and tell them they're talking crap.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Well nine pages in I may have found the new 'electric motor on a yak thread' :lol:
I think we can all agree that it would be a good thing if VicRoads got their publishers in gear to add better info online. Especially when they don't reply to emails despite giving you the option to state whether or not a reply is required.
Thanks for chasing up with the Highway Patrol Smish, unfortunately it seems that not all the police are working to the same interpretation. Andrew showed me his fine and in that instance doing the right thing did not save him, his hilux had three roofrack bars each fitted with quality brand name cradles and tie down straps from the shop and a flag and he still got done.
I organised the fabrication of the hang-glider rack today, after a good chat about fishing, the good blokes at Charlcom in Williamstown are going to put one together for me on Monday so I'll have it in plenty of time for Port Augusta. Turns out one of the blokes went to school with Rhino, small world.
Irrespective of the legal issue, the point made about the danger to van drivers in the event of a rear end collision was something that I hadn't really considered before and is a good reason to build the rack.
I'll post up pics when its done.
Thanks again for all the input :thumbsup:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Agreed, regardless of rules if you can avoid it do so, it is dangerous, not to mention someone collecting it on the way past. Eg in 90 degree parking spot
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Thanks to the guys who went and chased down some cops for their take on the matter. Makes me feel more comfortable driving around with a 4.5m yak on a hatchback knowing the cops think I can have a bit of overhang. I'll tie a high vis vest to the rudder to be on the safe side though.
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

Just to put the issue of rear overhang to rest I spent some time on the phone to Vicroads today. They initially referred to the information sheet as being correct but I gave them the legislation from the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009 and after checking into it further agreed that the 60% of wheelbase rule applies to cars as well as trucks. There should be an updated information sheet in the near future with the correct information.

I asked for them to put it in writing, here's the email I received.
Hi Anthony,

My name is *** and I thank you for taking my telephone call today. I hope that my email gives you the clarification you were seeking.

As you advised in our telephone call today, the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009, Regulation 169 Rear overhang - (4) (a) (b) is correct. I have put forward a request to have the information on the VicRoads website to be updated.

I would like to apologise for the confusion and thank you for your feedback. I hope that this information has satisfactorily addressed your enquiry and I would like to wish you luck with your studies.

Senior Customer Service Consultant
VicRoads Contact Centre
Hopefully that puts the issue of the rear overhang rules to bed.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Well done Anthony. For anyone that carries their yak with some rear overhang, maybe print out the relevant clause from the act and keep it with you in case the police take an interest.
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Amazing its not been questioned before, even by those who are supposed to enforce it. Never could see why there would be a difference between trucks and cars, the danger is the same.
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

laneends wrote:Amazing its not been questioned before, even by those who are supposed to enforce it. Never could see why there would be a difference between trucks and cars, the danger is the same.
I was surprised too, you would think it's something that comes up often enough with people carrying building materials and ladders on their roof racks. I see people with PVC pipe hanging way over the back of their car all the time. I wonder how many people have just paid a fine without questioning it. It really only took me half an hour in total to sort out.

I agree with Shane, it's probably best to to keep a copy of the legislation in your car as it seems like quite a few cops and other enforcement officers don't know what the corrects rules are. The relevant parts can be found on pages 143 and 144 of this document.

http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domin ... 8sr004.pdf