DIY Rocket Launcher and Lights

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
MitchT
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler

DIY Rocket Launcher and Lights

Post by MitchT »

Hey guys,

With the fast approaching silly season, it's obviously best to stand out like dogs balls out there, so I made a quick light set up for my PA. Only used parts I had on me, I've ordered better stuff which hasn't come yet, so it's a bit messy but gives you the basic idea. Not going to go on about the rocket launcher, I've had it for a while its just PVC and joins and a bent with a heat gun when needed. Nothing special and only use the rod holders when I'm out gummy fishing.

Now the lights.... I used 10 metres(5 metres each side) of water led stripping(warm white + cool white). Also used a led spotlight which you can purchase with bracket on ebay for sweet FA.

All up took a couple hours and beers, and a bit of swearing. At the moment my switch box is actually a clipsal junction box sparky's use in houses, really rough effort(until my water tight switch box arrives).
I used these water proof clips. Cost about a buck each and work bloody good!
For the spotlight, I used this dimmer. I ran it inline with spotlight, you can make it dim, flash fast or slow, turn it off or do really anything. As the spotlight drains the most power, its really handy to be able to turn it off. I've got it cable tied to the rocket launcher at the moment, but soon will be fixed properly.
This is my battery box, it has 2, 12v 9ah batterys in it, with one lead coming out with one of those clips on it which then connects to the switch box. Makes it easier just to unclip and take it out to charge aswell.
This is the end result. Pitch dark under the car port with no lights on outside what so ever. For now only a rough job but definitely will keep you out of trouble.

I understand these instructions maybe a bit hard to follow, so any questions or anything please hit me up. If you need a hand, I'm more then happy to help. Would like to see every kayak out there with blinding lights then nothing at all because they weren't sure how to do it.

Cheers, Mitch.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Re: DIY Rocket Launcher and Lights

Post by choppers »

God Mitch that is bright.
Me I have three m of led strip wrapped and a 18w flood light (20 from ebay).
Wired to a fuse and switch, to save battery (7a/h) which I need to replace with a bigger model.
As u say, we need to stand out like dogs nuts
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Rockofclay
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Cayman Dagger and Venturer

Re: DIY Rocket Launcher and Lights

Post by Rockofclay »

I bought a few of those clips off ebay. Did you use a crimper or just a pair of pliers? I must get around to building my battery box/lights