Waterproof Phone Pouch

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Waterproof Phone Pouch

Post by Yako »

Hi All.
I wanted to mention to those of us who take their mobiles with them about my experience from Friday 16 Oct.
I have a Sea to Summit pouch I've used while standing in the breakers in my waders at Gunners spinning and a few other places - no dramas.
However I wanted to video the conditions I was in on Friday with the waves coming over the bow and as I had sea spray etc on me I could not get the camera to function.
It thought I was trying to relocate or delete the Icon. At one point the screen half slid across till I hit the home button. It registred I was trying to do something, I even tried other apps to no avail.
I guess if I had a microfibre cloth etc I could have dried my hands & screen.
Not a good solution if you're rowing or sailing& need your hands. I did have to take my hand off the rudder a few times to try wiping, unfortunately at that point I I had no dry towel etc in easy reach & gave up. If it was an older style button phone no worries, but the touch screen & water are no good (other than that the pouch is great it keeps the phone dry around my neck :mrgreen:
I highly & strongly recommend a decent waterproof & floating VHF handheld radio. (OK I'm not bigvon filming my fishing etc but maybe I will get a waterproof video cam so you can all give me some tips & pointers :evilgrin: :thumbsup:
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-10-18-13-47-16-1.png
John 3.16/17
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Re: Waterproof Phone Pouch

Post by Hvalross »

Lifeproof make an excellent case. Phone is 100%protected and can use all functions. In fact i never take it out of this case.
The phone is an oldie, original iPhone 4......
Bit expensive at $100 but then for me it is more use than a radio
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

Hvalross wrote:Lifeproof make an excellent case. Phone is 100%protected and can use all functions. In fact i never take it out of this case.
Don't agree with lifeproof.... I bought one for my iphone5 before, and the case lasted slightly over 1yr before the glue that sticks the screen protected and sides of case gave way. Upon close examination, the glue is just thin layer of glue. For $50-60 spent, it is a lousy piece of crap. Lucky I have never gone into drink before, so I never have to test how good it is. But it is good splash proof case though.
BTW, the phone has always been in the case and never taken out until I decide to clean the phone once and discovered the problem. Also, you will suffer the same issue with wet fingers in those screen, but added that you will lose a lot of audio quality when on phone. Eg. People can't hear you that well only you speak out loud.
I rather use those pouch than life case.
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

CrazyChenski wrote:
Hvalross wrote:Lifeproof make an excellent case. Phone is 100%protected and can use all functions. In fact i never take it out of this case.
Don't agree with lifeproof.... I bought one for my iphone5 before, and the case lasted slightly over 1yr before the glue that sticks the screen protected and sides of case gave way. Upon close examination, the glue is just thin layer of glue. For $50-60 spent, it is a lousy piece of crap. Lucky I have never gone into drink before, so I never have to test how good it is. But it is good splash proof case though.
BTW, the phone has always been in the case and never taken out until I decide to clean the phone once and discovered the problem. Also, you will suffer the same issue with wet fingers in those screen, but added that you will lose a lot of audio quality when on phone. Eg. People can't hear you that well only you speak out loud.
I rather use those pouch than life case.
have to agree with chenski - my life proof case lasted well less the a year before the screen came unglued - I've since bough Ebay cheapy lifeproof knock offs for about $8 that last as long
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Yako, What you experienced with your phone case is a common experience for me when it gets wet. It can also happen when there's condensation or moisture inside the case and when it does no amount of drying the outside will help. Half the time I just pull it (Samsung S5) out and use it if I need to type etc.
0408 565 763
Kingo
Lord of the fish
kayak: Olive Hobie Pro Angler 12

Post by Kingo »

Lifeproof cases are pox as, I bought one for my galaxy s4 ages ago when I got it and used it for a day. They seal so tight that the person talking to you on the phone hears themselves echoing and can't hear you
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

I keep saying they might be called smart phones but at the end of the day they are not very clever. I don't think the designers of these things ever step outside their office into real life and I don't think feedback to the manufacturers would make any difference.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Why not just get one of those waterproof phones? I think mine is water proof to 2m or something.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Galaxy S5 for me, only splash proof, but you can keep it in a zipped up pocket, won't survive a dunking but splash proof is fine.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

A glad bag does some good I understand, still able to text, only problem is u cant take a pic with ur phone inside
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)