Safety Equipment Poll

SAFETY FIRST!! Please read as no fish is worth dying for.

Safety Gear & Experience

Kayak fishing experience - less than 1 year
2%
Kayak fishing experience - more than 1 year and less than 2 years
1%
Kayak fishing experience - more than 2 years
10%
PFD's should be optional
0%
PFD's should remain mandatory
13%
Night Fishing lights should be 360*
12%
Night fishing lights should remain a white light.
10%
PLB's should be optional
8%
PLB's should be mandatory
2%
PLB's should replace EPIRBS on kayaks
5%
PLB & EPIRB's should both be carried
1%
Flags should remain optional
6%
Flags should be made mandatory
6%
Kayaks should be registered
1%
Kayaks should remain unregistered
11%
Kayaker's should be licenced or pass a test.
2%
Kayaker's should remain unlicenced and not require a test
8%

Total votes: 602

mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Re: Safety Equipment Poll

Post by mingle »

I reckon a VHF should be mandatory offshore too...
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

mingle wrote:I reckon a VHF should be mandatory offshore too...
while good in theory - most would be hand held and the range isn't that good anyway low wattage and low short aerials - I also doubt many venture off shore without one
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Re: Satey Equipment Poll

Post by spider25160 »

Smish wrote:Easy solution - A one off registration fee for all kayaks with rod holders, make a safety test and a current PLB/EPIRB a requirement of registration. When you sell your yak just like a car you do a registration transfer, the next owner pays the transfer fee and needs to show that they've done the test and have a current PLB/EPIRB.

It will separate recreational kayaks from fishing kayaks and save lives.

If you're on a kayak with rod holders and its not registered you get fined.
Do you really think a registration fee saves lives.......I don't think so.....The only ONLY thing that will save lives is EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE with a little common sense thrown in. Sheesh the government gets enough of my money already and there is no such thing as value for money in that field.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Ever searched "ocean kayak" on Ebay and see the unoceanworthy options that come up?

TBH unless a potential buyer comes here first, or to reputable kayak store, how would they be aware of the importance of those extra few feet in length?
JägerMarty
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback 2015

Re: Satey Equipment Poll

Post by JägerMarty »

4liters wrote:At the end of the day the rules work when they're followed, they just need to start enforcing them.
^^ This!
Time for more on water scrutiny
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Its one of those things that there are no easy answers for. There are lots of things that could be brought in as 'good' legislation, that wouldn't cost users an arm and a leg.
For example:
-kayaks under 12ft in length to operate in fresh water and within 300m of shore in salt water. This allows for kayak surfers to do their thing, average joes to play in waves and for dinking toddlers around in the shallows for the holiday makers but would regulate against the use of small yaks out in the bay for fishing.
-motors only to be used on kayaks in fresh/brackish water (I have no problem with the use of motors for stealth fishing of bass/bream etc but it would be good to remove their use for those that can't/don't want to paddle the required distance out in the bay to fish productive waters)
-offshore: change the reg to allow EPIRB or PLB, tow rope should be added to the mandatory equipment.
-All kayaks used more than 500m from shore should carry two forms of propulsion (ie mirage drive and paddle, or spare paddle)

Even if these or similar were brought in it wouldn't solve the problem it would only give water police and retailers something to refer to. I honestly don't know what the answer is and hopefully Mav's forum will bring some good. It would be nice to get through the silly season without having to do a rescue at Millers this year, not that I would ever not help, but bugger me panicked people are unpredictable! The last bloke kept trying to pull me out of my yak :roll:

On a side note if you are in a hobie doing a rescue, its easier to tow the other persons yak in by holding it alongside yours like an ama, rather than behind you on a rope, not sure why but that was my experience. :thumbsup:
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

FishnDive wrote:
On a side note if you are in a hobie doing a rescue, its easier to tow the other persons yak in by holding it alongside yours like an ama, rather than behind you on a rope, not sure why but that was my experience. :thumbsup:
I learnt that too during my first kayak fishing/safety day course.
Scuttlebutt SCUBA Sue held my outback next to her revo and peddled me back to the group.
We both found it much easier than using a tow rope.
It is also easier to communicate when the two yaks are side by side.

It would be good if the sport could self regulate and people heed the "red writing" on the fishing trips thread and make informed decisions knowing the risks, regulations, their limits (Endurnce and experience), their gear (Its limitations and whether they choose to have it) and particularly their kayaks limitations.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

For all the lurkers out there, love to get your votes as well and you can still remain anonymous. :thumbsup: The more input the better, no matter what your experience level is.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I have noticed that on this forum when a newbie asks an opinion of 3m yaks, they get very strong recommendations away from them,. yet on the national forums usually dont , and in fact often get a lot of support and recommendations
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

laneends wrote:I have noticed that on this forum when a newbie asks an opinion of 3m yaks, they get very strong recommendations away from them,. yet on the national forums usually dont , and in fact often get a lot of support and recommendations
Safety in general up north is treated differently, look at the PFD laws as another example. I think the threat of hypothermia being significantly greater in our waters is probably a contributing factor towards our attitude.