A couple of kayakers rescued off point wilson

Wizaed1
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Pro Angler 14 Olive

Re: A couple of kayakers rescued off point wilson

Post by Wizaed1 »

Worth listening to as these guys genuinely thought conditions were good to go. If you take them on their word things can change in a matter of minutes. Another reminder to double check weather etc.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Judging by this photo of the kayak in the foreground and the length of the oar (unless the oar is 3m long).
It looks like the yak is about 2.7m long at a guess???
Attachments
6974814-3x2-940x627.jpg
John 3.16/17
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Yako wrote:Judging by this photo of the kayak in the foreground and the length of the oar (unless the oar is 3m long).
It looks like the yak is about 2.7m long at a guess???
Glide reflection from BCF 2.9m
http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/prod ... mendations

Newer version of my first yak, could'nt paddle straight if someone stood in front of it and farted. Not safe on the bay full stop, I tried twice, and twice I got in trouble. Only yak I have fallen out of, twice in flat water.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

You can't legislate against stupidity.
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

Wizaed1 wrote:
Worth listening to as these guys genuinely thought conditions were good to go. If you take them on their word things can change in a matter of minutes. Another reminder to double check weather etc.
There's no excuses for these guys. A severe weather warning had been issued for the whole day. The fact that the wind dropped out for a little bit doesn't change that. Ever heard of 'the calm before the storm'? There were warnings for the following day as well. That has to tell any normal person to stay home. It was almost a carbon copy of the two guys who died off Sandringham a few years ago.

Kind of reminds me of an animation I saw once.

Here's one of the news reports if anybody missed it.

cobby
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie i9s

Post by cobby »

No forecast I looked at was inviting for any boat let alone kayak. Jim sounds like the one that should've been swallowed instead. Brain dead moron. And Neil sounded quite condescending which made it all the funnier
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

cobby wrote: And Neil sounded quite condescending which made it all the funnier
It was like Neil was talking to a 6 year old... Jim seemed completely oblivious, bless his little heart.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Smish wrote:
cobby wrote: And Neil sounded quite condescending which made it all the funnier
It was like Neil was talking to a 6 year old... Jim seemed completely oblivious, bless his little heart.
Sad thing is many of these little yaks are being sold to people whos look at the weather is the news, and a quick peek out the lounge window. I didn't know about the BOM site etc until I came here. This will not be the last
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

Definitely need a guidelines for beginners, like a cheat sheet... If the wind is this strength and this direction do not go out in kayaks.

You can't blame guys for lack of education. They don't know what they don't know. They'll likely be on here in a few weeks time and we can educate them.

Every life is precious guys, let's be thankful they are safe. And if you turn up to a spot and you see kayaks getting ready to go out and the weather is bad, talk to them. I don't care if you're not a sociable person, you don't want to see fatalities on the news knowing you could stop it. It's not our responsibility to save people but we should anyway.
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

hammertym wrote:Definitely need a guidelines for beginners, like a cheat sheet... If the wind is this strength and this direction do not go out in kayaks.

You can't blame guys for lack of education. They don't know what they don't know. They'll likely be on here in a few weeks time and we can educate them.

Every life is precious guys, let's be thankful they are safe. And if you turn up to a spot and you see kayaks getting ready to go out and the weather is bad, talk to them. I don't care if you're not a sociable person, you don't want to see fatalities on the news knowing you could stop it. It's not our responsibility to save people but we should anyway.
It would be good if it were compulsary for retailers to hand over a short checklist like you said, with any kayak sold that has a few safety tips like

-wear pfd
-check weather and wind forecast websites leading up to and right before launch eg meteye, willy weather.
-notify someone on land of your expected destination and return time
-be as noticable on the water as you can be

You get the idea