Offshore launching phillip island

General offshore yakking discussion.
woo53
Apprentice
kayak: 2015 outback

Offshore launching phillip island

Post by woo53 »

Hey guys, got my first taste of open water last week, fishing around the back of san remo. I live down at phillip island and can think of 4 or 5 beaches on the ocean side giving easy access to the water. Just wondering if anyone has used any other launching spots apart from cleeland bight, and what they were like?
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: Offshore launching phillip island

Post by cheaterparts »

first all of the front beaches are surf launches , so unless you are up with bashing through waves on the way out and can get back in give these beaches a wide berth
punching out through the wave is one thing coming back in is another

Im sure a few of us will be doing another surf practice day in the not to distant future - the last one we did was at Inverloch with all having quite a good day

at the time we took no fishing gear to loose if or more so when we turtled in the surf coming in

also you might find the outback quite a hand full in the surf zone this was and is a good time to get some practice with others that of cause will hang sh!t on you when you fall in

last surf day was lots of fun
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

A couple of guys have tried Kitty Miller and I think some others have also been trying some spots out.
0408 565 763
woo53
Apprentice

Post by woo53 »

I actually have a few spots in mind which are natural bays protected from the surf. Kitty millers was up there but i would consider that high tide only as the bay drains right out on the low. very good reef systems out the back though. There is someone on here that has favourite landbased spot for trevally on the island and his spot would awesome for offshore access. Makes it hard to see if anyones been out from there without giving away his spot though...
Speaking of inverloch area has anyone gone out from the old ramp at cape paterson, that looks a likley spot too!
woo53
Apprentice

Post by woo53 »

A surf day on the outback sounds like a lot of fun, be cool to see how the rudder handles in the surf, will keep an eye out gor the next session
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

woo53 wrote:I actually have a few spots in mind which are natural bays protected from the surf. Kitty millers was up there but i would consider that high tide only as the bay drains right out on the low. very good reef systems out the back though. There is someone on here that has favourite landbased spot for trevally on the island and his spot would awesome for offshore access. Makes it hard to see if anyones been out from there without giving away his spot though...
Speaking of inverloch area has anyone gone out from the old ramp at cape paterson, that pool's a likley spot too!

Cape ramp would be an easy launch only downside could be the shore break if the swell is up
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Post by Jordo »

I had nello scope out the cape patterson boat ramp for me. Looks the goods. Will be using it in the not so distant future (if my main yak is repaired in time). San remo is the best launch ive found down that way so far. Good access to both sides of the eastern entrance - as with any offshore work in vic you will be racking up some ks sooner or later. Accessing pyramid rock is on the to do list. A surf launch at smith's beach looks the goods for that. There is also meant to be a launch at the back of flinders deres by the golf course. This would give immediate offshore access, I haven't checked that launch out yet.
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
woo53
Apprentice

Post by woo53 »

smiths would be good, it has a ramp to the left which would be easy access and the big rock straight out acts like a breakwall. The guys that fish off the rocks down there say their are some thumping whiting on the sand flats out behind the rocks. might have to organise some trips to try a few of these spots out. Lots of chances at the moment with a big lack of swell, just need the wind to swing more northerly and tone down a bit.
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Post by Jordo »

Wind is good for the next few days, im going to be focusing my efforts closer to home though as I have to fit in fishing around work.....
If you just wanted to meet up and say hello ill be launching at 5:30 in mornington Harbour tomorrow morning to do some more experimenting with my improved dead bait rigs.
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
woo53
Apprentice

Post by woo53 »

Sorry jordo, got the kidlets next few days while wife is working. Eyeing off sat and sun morn though looking very tasty!!