Hey there

New? Say G'Day here!
step1507
kayak: Hobie Quest13

Hey there

Post by step1507 »

Have recently moved down to Melbourne's more reasonable climate from the steam bath that is Brisvegas, with boat and Hobie in tow, I quickly found the politics surrounding the insanely busy boat ramps in the Melbourne area just tiresome, so have now sold the boat and decided to return to the much more fun and infinitely less stressful kayak. I've spent the last few weeks preparing the old Quest to be reintroduced to water (she hasn't been used since I purchased the boat) Things like rewiring and installing a new sounder, replacing all the control lines for the rudder, fitting outriggers (i'm not a small person if I end up in the water I need all the help I can get to get back in), and also removing all the things that I should never have put on there (and filling in the associated holes :idiot:). I also spent a lot of time organising how to load the necessary fishing and safety gear without feeling overcrowded, I think i've got it sussed, but obviously when I finally get out on the water i'll realise that it's all completely wrong ;)
I haven't decided where this first trip is going to be as yet, ant advice would be greatly appreciated, I had thought about the weed beds off Sorrento for Whiting (one of the few places I took the boat)

Anyway thanks for reading my ramble :thumbsup:
Stephen
Attachments
IMG_0127.jpg
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Re: Hey there

Post by choppers »

Gday and welcome to vyak.
Im sure some of the guys have better info than me on ppb, but Sorrento does hold nice whiting and squid fairly close to shore. Perfect for learning again :up:
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Welcome aboard Stephen and great intro post.
Please feel welcome to tag along whenever a member post up a trip and feel free to post your own trips.
Right next to the mussel farm at Martha cove is a great spot for whiting and the reefs along the cliffs produce good squid and flathead, might be another place for you to try when this wind abides.

Will.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Good yak you have there,very stable and very overlooked. :thumbsup:

Squidding close in is a good place to start.

Snapper season is just ramping up, just waiting on the wind to bugger off

Where abouts you located, on the Penisula?
step1507
kayak: Hobie Quest13

Post by step1507 »

Hey Laneends,
No not the peninsula unfortunately I'm out at Reservoir :)
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Welcome aboard, not sure of your knowledge of PPB but there can be some pretty strong tidal flows around Sorrento. Anchoring in the current can be awkward in a kayak for the unprepared.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

G'day Stephen,

Welcome to Melbourne & welcome to Vyak.
You made the right choice to avoid the boat ramp hassles by hanging on to your quest.
I like the outriggers, they will help with re entry but I suggest you do some re entry practice anyway.
The water is a bit colder down here and the better you get at re entry the less time you spend in the water.
Occasionally someone will post a thread on Vyak to encourage a group to do re entry practice together.

As well as Wills suggestion of Mt Martha, I would recommend Rickets Point, but make sure you are familiar with the marine sanctuary boundary.
Check out the "launch sites" and "Fishing trips" threads - Someone is bound to post a trip where they would welcome you to join them.

We are a pretty friendly bunch - Before you know it you will have a heap of Vyak kayak fishing friends.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

step1507 wrote:Hey Laneends,
You are just down the road from me then

From Reservoir you will find it easier to access Altona/Williamstown/Point Cook and that side of the bay via Western Ring rd.

Plenty of folks head out that side
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

laneends wrote:
step1507 wrote:Hey Laneends,
You are just down the road from me then

From Reservoir you will find it easier to access Altona/Williamstown/Point Cook and that side of the bay via Western Ring rd.

Plenty of folks head out that side
and you will need a visa to cross the river, to the eastern side.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

They only fish that side because they are waiting for parole to be granted ;)
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.