G'Day from the Mornington Peninsula

New? Say G'Day here!
DJ_m
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Quest 11

G'Day from the Mornington Peninsula

Post by DJ_m »

Hello All,
New here, new to kayaks and kayak fishing. I have fished on and off for a number of years and owned a couple of boats in the past. I sold my last tub over a year ago and have been itching to get back on the water so purchased a yak on a bit of a whim yesterday. I have a Hobie Quest 11 which seemed like a good little boat to learn on.

I'm based in Mt Martha on the Mornington Peninsula. If there are any locals that fish from the area please give me a shout as I'd love to tag along with someone who knows the ropes. I'm sensible and safety conscious but probably lacking a bit of fitness at the moment!

Cheers,
DJ_m
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: G'Day from the Mornington Peninsula

Post by maverick »

Welcome Daryl. Launching at MM North Beach is easy and head towards Bird Rock. Along the rock wall at the Hawkers Beach Leash Free Beach is a good area for squid, whiting and pinkies. Past Bird Rock around the mussel farm goes ok as well, although the pinkies have slowed, the whiting are coming on and there is usual a school of salmon kicking around somewhere.

Be sure to read the safety section and practice re-entries before you go fishing. If you have an inflatable type PFD, inflate it by mouth and try getting back into the yak.

Have fun, be safe.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
DJ_m
Apprentice

Post by DJ_m »

Cheers,
I went out for a first paddle last night, totally flat in close and a beautiful evening. I went out along where you mentioned and saw the very squidy looking area a few hundred meters off the rock wall north of hawkers beach. I also paddled back to the point at the end of south beach heading toward the pinnacles, have you fished this area off the limestone cliff/reef between Mt. Martha & Safety beach and if so is it productive?

I do have an inflatable PFD although am considering changing it for something else after researching the market. Perhaps I'll post a question on this elsewhere.

Cheers!
DJ_m
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

I was out last night as well, north of Bird Rock, a bit quiet with only a couple of junk fish and one good run which I dropped :roll:

There are squid along the cliffs there, probably around the Pinnacles and slightly north is the best area I have found. Bt they are south as well. Salmon frequent the area and flatties are around the drop off. Wider out are pinkies but the area gets a lot of boat traffic.

I have gone back to a solid type PFD, which holds my radio and plb. I like the fact that I am going to float without having to inflate anything or hope that the inflater works or that there are no holes in the air cell.
DJ_m
Apprentice

Post by DJ_m »

Thanks Pete, yeah I hear you. I have an inflatable I used on my boat, it is a Storm Rider 150. This model does have a pocket for my PLB but I'm struggling with confidence in it actually going bang when I pull the cord particularly given the extra clothing that may come in to play in a few months (no time to blow it up by mouth). Even more so is where the bulk of the inflated jacket sits - obviously designed primarily to lift the head out of the water and not to climb onto a Kayak. I'm also worried about the amount of stuff on the Kayak that could puncture or tear the bladder when trying to climb back on. So for those reasons have decided to go with a foam style. I'm looking at the Kokatat Bahia Tour which is pricey but looks like a good investment and I could do with some extra storage for small items given the limited space on the Quest. Any brands or models you might recommend?
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker

Post by maverick »

Fair chance I will recommend you got to Scott Lovig Hobie in Mornington as I am sort of affiliated with them and try a Sea to Summit PFD. I have just purchased one and I am really happy with the way it sits when I am pedaling and it is very comfortable . BUT I have no idea how it would go if you are paddling. Others on here may be able to help with a paddle PFD suggestion.

http://slhobie.com.au/gear/kayak-accessories/pfd
tightlines
Square eyes
kayak: PA 14

Post by tightlines »

Hi Darryl

I live in MM too and fish the area regularly. The advice Pete gave you is good. Good luck, hopefully catch you soon.
DJ_m
Apprentice

Post by DJ_m »

Thanks, I saw the Sea To Summit at SLH, I'll try both and see which is more comfortable.
DJ_m
Apprentice

Post by DJ_m »

tightlines wrote:Hi Darryl

I live in MM too and fish the area regularly. The advice Pete gave you is good. Good luck, hopefully catch you soon.
Thanks Dan, hopefully see you out soon.
bruyaka
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Sport, Revo 13

Post by bruyaka »

Welcome aboard Daryll , :up: . I live nowhere nearby but certainly recommend the area as suggested by others as being a great spot to start . Easy launches from the north beach , mothers beach and sunnyside with access to a good mumber of sought after species close to shore . Enjoy .