anchor retrieval technique in fast moving WP waters

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: anchor retrieval technique in fast moving WP waters

Post by laneends »

Reeling wrote:
laneends wrote:Rather than move trolley from back to front, and risk it getting stuck or bowing in the middle, i have two half trolleys. That way before even uncleating i put loose end through front trolley clip and run it up the front ready. All i do then is un cleat and pull rear trolley along side. It does bow out as it is now at front end of rear trolley rather than in middle of a full trolley. I unclip the line from rear trolley and let line go which is already running through front trolley in place.

The anchor rope runs through a SS trolley clip and zigzag cleated on yak. As per shanes comment i don't like hard clipping to trolley itself.

That said most of the time i retreive from the back without running it forward. How safe that is depends on how far back rear of trolley is. If anchor is stuck or heavy with weed i will use front retreive method as you can haul on it better.

One big risk of letting line out and flipping yak around is if a loop of hooks on something as it will grab it and potentially cause chaos mod turn
Just a thought on this method Keith, rather than running two half trolleys, could you alternatively just have two SS pulley rings spaced 1/2 the trolley distance apart? You wouldn't be able to have the SS ring up front when you uncleat, but could quickly run the trolley forward?
Not really as one ring would limit the full movement of the other at other times. eg adjusting relocation of a drift chute.

On a long kayak the trolley can bow out a fair way when at the mid point making reaching it dangerous. With two trolleys ending at midship then it is always within reach.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Another factor in hard flowing WP currents is dont underestimate the amount of drag that can be created by weed build up on your lines. Ditto the extra drag on retrieving your already heavy anchor set up.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

westmantooth wrote:All very interesting the responses here, I’m slightly in awe of those that anchor in such deep fast flowing waters, much braver than me after a few nightmare scenarios I’ve encountered. I just don’t think it is safe in a yak.
If you're anchor line is permanently attached at the rear centre line (Like I do on the PA) then it's relatively safe. I've been in the western entrance (the actual entrance, not Somers side of middle bank) on a King ebb tide and felt quite secure. The yak jitters and jumps around on the anchor rope with the water flowing past like a fast river but it still feels secure. You also have to lift the rudder and mirage drive or else the yak will yaw about and not settle.
0408 565 763
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Post by Jordo »

A lot of talk of spinning the kayak around for retrieval, I don't do that on the profisha, I just pull the rope up facing backwards. But, that may just be because the profisha has very little resistance against the tidal flow, even when facing backwards to it. I also add a carbiner to the stainless steel ring on my anchor trolley and feed the rope through that. when the chain hits the caribiner on retrieval I release the anchor trolley from a locked out position on the cleat and keep pulling the anchor rope, which pulls the chain and caribiner (on the anchor trolley) to right up beside me with the anchor dangling a couple of metres below in the water. This has worked very well for me in a lot of high flow areas.
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
frappa11
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: i9s, olive revo 13

Post by frappa11 »

thanks everyone i am going to rethink my anchoring mechanism in light of this - also important is being able to anchor, retrieve quickly to save on fishing time and also ease of anchoring very quickly when i see fish arches.

I dont actually have a a cleat fixed to my revo 13, but I have a like a metal thingy from bunnings tied to the yak handle that I can wrap the anchor rope around and it holds it in place (like something a mountain climber would use and its basically a cleat tied to my handle). The anchor rope is then run through the anchor trolly ring (so anchor is not fixed to my trolly ring) and tied to this.

i think when i tried to turn my yak i was not doing what you guys were describing - i.e. wrap the rope around a rod holder in front of my yak - I was letting out slack and lowering my rudden and peddling to try to turn my yak (which was absolutely useless - the water was flowing so quick it was squashing the rudder against my yak so I couldnt even control the rudder).

i think i will try the rod holder manuever to turn the yak in slower water, but I think I will also consider removing the trolley entirely as shane suggested as i face down current mostly anyway. must try and test a bit.

i wont anchor much in such fast water anyway, but i like to know my limitations of what i can and cannot do even if i wont do it often
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

You can only retreive a float when it is alongside, not at the nose, so as soon as you grab the rope it will be under tension and you are back to the side on risk in high flow areas.

Also with a pedal kayak you need two hands to haul in rope so you are letting go of steering and so can quickly veer side on. You need tension on the rope to keep nose up current. I prefer the trolley up front rather than hooking around a holder as that is not as far forward.

Best solution is not to anchor a kayak under such extreme conditions as something unexpected can go wrong and if you do go over you will part ways with yak very quickly
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

:clap: I very much agree with your theory of learn before needed, im using a cam lock to hold my anchor rope (Naths idea, "joining the revolution") when im after gummies i usually go to swan bay, the current isn't strong however i use a similar approach when the tide turns or the wind changes direction.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Jordo wrote:A lot of talk of spinning the kayak around for retrieval, I don't do that on the profisha, I just pull the rope up facing backwards. But, that may just be because the profisha has very little resistance against the tidal flow, even when facing backwards to it. I also add a carbiner to the stainless steel ring on my anchor trolley and feed the rope through that. when the chain hits the caribiner on retrieval I release the anchor trolley from a locked out position on the cleat and keep pulling the anchor rope, which pulls the chain and caribiner (on the anchor trolley) to right up beside me with the anchor dangling a couple of metres below in the water. This has worked very well for me in a lot of high flow areas.

I normally turn mine around Jordo - maybe just habit as I did that with both the kingfisher and prowler
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

frappa11 wrote:thanks everyone i am going to rethink my anchoring mechanism in light of this - also important is being able to anchor, retrieve quickly to save on fishing time and also ease of anchoring very quickly when i see fish arches.

I dont actually have a a cleat fixed to my revo 13, but I have a like a metal thingy from bunnings tied to the yak handle that I can wrap the anchor rope around and it holds it in place (like something a mountain climber would use and its basically a cleat tied to my handle). The anchor rope is then run through the anchor trolly ring (so anchor is not fixed to my trolly ring) and tied to this.

i think when i tried to turn my yak i was not doing what you guys were describing - i.e. wrap the rope around a rod holder in front of my yak - I was letting out slack and lowering my rudden and peddling to try to turn my yak (which was absolutely useless - the water was flowing so quick it was squashing the rudder against my yak so I couldnt even control the rudder).

i think i will try the rod holder manuever to turn the yak in slower water, but I think I will also consider removing the trolley entirely as shane suggested as i face down current mostly anyway. must try and test a bit.

i wont anchor much in such fast water anyway, but i like to know my limitations of what i can and cannot do even if i wont do it often
Ron fit a zig zag cleat really quick and easy to use - it also can be used to lock the anchor trolley that will some time creep in swell
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

cheaterparts wrote: Ron fit a zig zag cleat really quick and easy to use - it also can be used to lock the anchor trolley that will some time creep in swell
One of these. Most chandler stores will have them:

0408 565 763