How Do You Lose A Shark Or Big Pelargic?

General offshore yakking discussion.
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Re: How Do You Lose A Shark Or Big Pelargic?

Post by spider25160 »

Pete I really think you might be over thinking the whole thing....No matter how much gear you take, no matter what outfits you include there will be a time when you just have not got the right one ready to go at the right time. All you can do is take what you can take and hope it's not today. And if it turns out it is today then tomorrow is another day.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

Thanks Pete,
You've certainly given it a lot of thought. I think I'll be trying to keep it simple for my first encounter of SWR. I'm not set up for live bait, so will probably be trawling squid strips & plastics, and just see what happens :thumbsup:
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobbie Outback

Post by aussieDave »

Interesting timing for this one,

I just did the VRFish survey on releasing sharks and rays.

I said the biggest threat to sharks is the main stream media sensationalising every sighting causing uneducated people to fear them and want them killed.

Also I can't remember a shark or ray not releasing well they are so tough. I'm more worried about myself more than the shark when releasing them.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

outback paul wrote:Thanks Pete,
You've certainly given it a lot of thought. I think I'll be trying to keep it simple for my first encounter of SWR. I'm not set up for live bait, so will probably be trawling squid strips & plastics, and just see what happens :thumbsup:
SWR is primarily a live bait fishery. Lures will catch some fish but not much compared to live bait. Fishing live bait isn't hard and is actually a lot of fun. To set up you will need a live bait tube (I have spares if you can't sort one). Everything else in the way of rigs is relatively easy and I will teach you quickly all you'll need to know.

The other method that works on mackerel is dead bait rigs. The video below is how to make my favourite rig, but again I can show you how to do these. Evenings tend to ne group rigging sessions anyway.

0408 565 763
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

Thanks Shane, I've got a lot to learn :shock:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

spider25160 wrote:Pete I really think you might be over thinking the whole thing....No matter how much gear you take, no matter what outfits you include there will be a time when you just have not got the right one ready to go at the right time. All you can do is take what you can take and hope it's not today. And if it turns out it is today then tomorrow is another day.
Ha ha your right unfortunately i do tend to go well over the top sometimes ;) i think Shane hit it on the head the guys sit around after fishing and talk while seting up rigs for the next session, i carry pre made rigs that i use for where im fishing in one of my in hull tackle boxes, i always have live bait rigs and carry dead bait weighted hooks just incase, i guess thats why i have trouble reducing my stash on the kayak to not carrying that white box on the back :cry:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

shane wrote:
The other method that works on mackerel is dead bait rigs. The video below is how to make my favourite rig, but again I can show you how to do these. Evenings tend to ne group rigging sessions anyway.

Just as a matter of interest the last trip north for me I picked up my first long tail and a couple of Mac tuna and a Hammer Head on the above dead bait rigs using food grade Pilly as the dead bait
so they work on more than Spaniards and well worth having a couple ready to go in case live bait is hard to find

another small hint you do need to troll your dead baits quicker than liveys as a live bait makes it own action
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Post by Fish Grylls »

[quote="

Just as a matter of interest the last trip north for me I picked up my first long tail and a couple of Mac tuna and a Hammer Head on the above dead bait rigs using food grade Pilly as the dead bait
so they work on more than Spaniards and well worth having a couple ready to go in case live bait is hard to find

another small hint you do need to troll your dead baits quicker than liveys as a live bait makes it own action[/quote]

Two years ago the pickings were generally slim, including finding bait. I don't think we spotted a slimy amongst the hard to find yakka's until much later in the week when the fishing also started to improve including kiwis marlin. Big tough pillies rigged with ganged hooks was an good alternative which resulted in several hookups
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Post by Fish Grylls »

shane wrote:[

Just make sure you bring a good headtorch as the lighting around the houses rigging table is not the best for tired eyes
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Fish Grylls wrote:
shane wrote:[

Just make sure you bring a good headtorch as the lighting around the houses rigging table is not the best for tired eyes
Lol i would have to get someone to do mine in that case, tired, glasses, bad lighting and medication = hooks in fingets :lol:

Although i liked that rig on the video, has anyone tried the rig rokkit uses for dead bait trolling? I watched one of his videos from the troll cam and you could see the fish coming up to one and just turning away (it was not rigged properly) then when he re rigged another bait it looked like they were fighting over it. The difference was the properly rigged bait looked as if it was swimming, were the other the tail only flicked now and again, his setup is a hook with a sinker around it then a stinger wired of the first hook, I've made some of these weighted hooks and tested them and happy with how they work but i like the setup in the vid too so might get some heavier wire and try them too. Rokkit also loosens up the baits spine before rigging.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm