Advice on box trailer for the outback

Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: Advice on box trailer for the outback

Post by Seasherpa »

You are better off building your trailer to avoid having to use the class O exemption imho because class O have other restrictions that are less favorable like not travelling under darkness for example. So while it might suit in some situations, it won't work in snapper season and you'll also have issues if you go on interstate trips.
rambocambo
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Outback '18, '20

Post by rambocambo »

Seasherpa wrote:You are better off building your trailer to avoid having to use the class O exemption imho because class O have other restrictions that are less favorable like not travelling under darkness for example. So while it might suit in some situations, it won't work in snapper season and you'll also have issues if you go on interstate trips.
With a normal car and 6x4 trailer with drawbar extension combination, I don't think it will be more than 19m in total - hence there is no road/time restrictions on the said class O vehicle combination (Not too sure if it really is a class O vehicle combination), according to my interpretation. Victorian Government Gazette (2015) S 216 para 7a.

Won't be going interstate so I wouldn't know the road rules there. When you said "it won't work in snapper season" do you mean you hit the snapper grounds before first light :evilgrin: ?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

just a pic of the setup for my 6x4
20200617_165616.jpg
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Magpie_Mick
kayak: Thresher 140

Post by Magpie_Mick »

Is something like a hitch-extender another option?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18-Inch-Hit ... .l4275.c10
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I would think the extender would be ok for a trailer carrying a kayak alone maybe? However this would depend on the tow bar itself whether it is designed to be extended in this way I would have to think if t has not been setup to tow caravans or something heavy of this nature then by extending the hitch point that far away from its point of origon would/could put undue forces apon the attachment points on the tow bar and vehicle. sorry great idea but most likely illegal too.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
rambocambo

Post by rambocambo »

I have actually been suggested an extender but for a different issue. My car's boot opens sideways and so it doesnt clear the coupling once it has been articulated. I'm willing to compromise taking my 1 piece rod from the front door hehe.

Ye I'm just not to sure of using an extender and the implications. Plus theres probably a limitation on the length you can extend to. The drawbar extension seems to be the more appropriate viable option.
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

Well here is the latest I have on the old 6x4 box trailer and kayak transporting.

Victoria is the only state that does not require a standard 6x4 that is shorter than 3m and not wider than the towing vehicle to be registered.
Lucky us eh?
However the critical point that most users forget is that the trailer including the load cannot be over 3m.
It has been an thing that has not been fully policed, until now.
Back in 2017 the Victorian govt changed the regulations regarding trailers and the overhang.
If you look it up, it was brought in to facilitate the ease of use for trailers carrying rowing boats, gliders, surf boats etc.
All those unusual craft that are a pain to easily transport.
So, the overhang issue is taken care of now with the changes.
Getting back to the more important issue, 6x4 and kayaks.
If there is even a millimetre over the 3m limit, it will cost you $185!
VicPol is on a drive to enforce this. Why? I'm not sure.
Registering the 6x4 trailer is very easy. No inspection required, just a VIN and $62.40 per year.
If your trailer is older than 1989, (mine was manufactured and purchased in1982) it won't necessarily have a VIN, but that is easily solved.
A quick trip to VicRoads, request a a low volume VIN (which is actually a RON for them?) then engrave or punch that number onto the draw bar.
Then you just book an appointment with VicRoads (can't just pop in for this step), fill in the details on the light trailer registration pack, pay the rego and one off plate issue fee and it's all done.
It's not a trick, just simplification of some of the complexities of transporting sporting equipment.
Just like what they did with the electric motor on the kayak, the free parking at the boat ramps and the upgrading of the boat ramps.
They want you out there doing that out doorsy stuff and spending money in the community.
Just make sure that you hang a red or flouro orange flag off the stern of the yak when on the trailer.
Also, stick some of that red reflective tape somewhere on the stern of the yak so the following motorists can see the rear most point at night.
That's all they are after. Make an effort to make it safe and pay the reg.
Three years reg is equal to one over length fine! Value.

The bunks that Shane uses or any other version is more than adequate for transport.

PS This is only for a basic single axle 6x4 box trailer with no other fancy attachments. Other trailers are a little bit different to this process for obvious reasons
rambocambo

Post by rambocambo »

Thanks Erik, and everyone for the contribution to this thread.

I forgot to update but I actually bought a jet ski trailer just a couple of months ago. It is registered and has worked for me.

Feel free to continue with the thread as needed.