Advice On A Kayak Westernport

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
erik the viking
Square eyes
Posts: 530
Joined: 18 Jul 2015, 20:43
kayak: 2015 Outback
Real Name: Erik

Re: Advice On A Kayak Westernport

Post by erik the viking »

Hey Zack;
When you ask a question here on VYAK you will always get a response from some of the most experienced yakkers about.
Cheater, Ian, Eoin and Mav are some of the most experienced yak fishos you will find.
Sometimes the answers you will get will not be what you want.
Definitely don't rush into it.
What Mav said about his early days yakking will be similar to many.
$ count for sure, but if you wait a bit and save a bit more, you will end up much better off.
Go for a pre sale paddle/peddle if you can. (yeah I know Covid restrictions suck, but it will ease up soon)
Good luck with your search and choice. :thumbsup:
But hang tight and do a bit more research and testing.................
Yakking is fun, but it can be dangerous if the conditions change from your normal. :o :shhh:
Zack073
Posts: 9
Joined: 16 Sep 2021, 13:19
kayak: Looking to buy
Real Name: Zack

Re: Advice On A Kayak Westernport

Post by Zack073 »

maverick wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 10:20 A second hand Hobie Outback may fit into your price range. Nothing wrong with a pedal yak. It will hold its price. I had a couple of cheap paddle yaks first, worked out more expensive than buying a new Hobie in the long run. Buying a second hand Hobie, should hold it's value and you will have way more fun and be one of the cool kids 8-) :lol: :lol:
Do you think an old Hobie revolution 13 would be good, or is the outback better. Is there any major flaws in older Hobie kayaks or are they generally good regardless of age.
User avatar
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
Posts: 2937
Joined: 28 Sep 2012, 10:31
kayak: Lots of glass ones
Real Name: Eoin (Owen)
Location: Oakleigh
Contact:

Re: Advice On A Kayak Westernport

Post by Seasherpa »

With second hand plastics the main thing you are looking for is poetenital leaks. There are a couple of possible sources to check for when you look over the kayak. First is hairline cracks that would allow the hull to fill up with water over time when you are out on the water. These are most comoonly caused by using scupper carts incorrectly and will occur inside the supper drain holes. Most older hobies used the rear scuppers for carting but PA's may have used the middle? (PA owners can chime in on that one) Hobie began sleeving the rear scuppers to help revent this so on the revo you mentioned check for black sleeves in the rear scuppers, if not check the scuppers for cracks. Older Hobies used to get cracks in the mirage drive wells so check that area realy well too if yu go with a pedal option. You'll also want to check the condition of the mirage drive check for corrsion/ack of maintenance. Other than that it is leaky installs or leaky hatches you cant really test that at the time of purchase but when you get home put some water in the hull and turn the boat upside down on the gunnels and check where the water comes out, adding marine goop or selleys beteen the mating surfaces will fix most of those issues. Almost all sit on top kayak hatches leak - tolerences in the molding process and flex when in use will mean it is inevitable unless you are running high end sea kayak hatches so expect some small leaks there. The are usually above the waterline anyway so not a major area for concern.
Best of luck in the search for a new boat!
Zack073
Posts: 9
Joined: 16 Sep 2021, 13:19
kayak: Looking to buy
Real Name: Zack

Re: Advice On A Kayak Westernport

Post by Zack073 »

Thank you so much for this you really have given me a complete checklist on second hand kayaks I'll be sure to thoroughly check the kayak before purchase
Thank you
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
Posts: 2327
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 17:56
kayak: prowler elite 4.5
Real Name: rob
Location: Korumburra

Re: Advice On A Kayak Westernport

Post by choppers »

Goodluck zach, your getting advise from the most knowledgeable blokes in yak fishing, great start :thumbsup:

I got brought into the kayak scene by cheaterparts many tides ago, I started in a sit in kayak and I was jealous of cheaters "prowler"
I took my time and saved the money, when a bargain came up I jumped. It's a great sport and iv caught some ripper fish. I have full confidence in my kayak it's a good feeling when your 3k out
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
User avatar
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
Posts: 10902
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 21:49
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign
Real Name: TopGunPete
Location: Mornington

Re: Advice On A Kayak Westernport

Post by maverick »

Zack073 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 12:31
maverick wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 10:20 A second hand Hobie Outback may fit into your price range. Nothing wrong with a pedal yak. It will hold its price. I had a couple of cheap paddle yaks first, worked out more expensive than buying a new Hobie in the long run. Buying a second hand Hobie, should hold it's value and you will have way more fun and be one of the cool kids 8-) :lol: :lol:
Do you think an old Hobie revolution 13 would be good, or is the outback better. Is there any major flaws in older Hobie kayaks or are they generally good regardless of age.
The Revo is a great boat, faster than the Outback, not quite as wide and has less storage. But Grant Ashwell (NSW) has landed 50 plus Marlin from his, offshore. So they are a good option, they are also a far better paddle yak than the Outback. You could use the Revo as a paddle yak with confidence. It will be a bit hard, but I would sauggest trying both if you could, depends what you want to do. I could stand in my Outback (in lakes or on the bay on a good day) but not a revo.

I don't sell kayaks, so I don't care what you buy. If you do have an issue with a plastic yak, Steve "Gherkin" AKA The Yak Doctor is a whiz at plastic repairs.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
Posts: 778
Joined: 17 Jun 2013, 10:54
kayak: hobie revo
Real Name: Tas
Location: Packenham by the Sea

Re: Advice On A Kayak Westernport

Post by Fish Grylls »

maverick wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 17:36
Zack073 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 12:31
maverick wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 10:20 A second hand Hobie Outback may fit into your price range. Nothing wrong with a pedal yak. It will hold its price. I had a couple of cheap paddle yaks first, worked out more expensive than buying a new Hobie in the long run. Buying a second hand Hobie, should hold it's value and you will have way more fun and be one of the cool kids 8-) :lol: :lol:
Do you think an old Hobie revolution 13 would be good, or is the outback better. Is there any major flaws in older Hobie kayaks or are they generally good regardless of age.
The Revo is a great boat, faster than the Outback, not quite as wide and has less storage. But Grant Ashwell (NSW) has landed 50 plus Marlin from his, offshore. So they are a good option, they are also a far better paddle yak than the Outback. You could use the Revo as a paddle yak with confidence. It will be a bit hard, but I would sauggest trying both if you could, depends what you want to do. I could stand in my Outback (in lakes or on the bay on a good day) but not a revo.

I don't sell kayaks, so I don't care what you buy. If you do have an issue with a plastic yak, Steve "Gherkin" AKA The Yak Doctor is a whiz at plastic repairs.
The revo 13 is a little quicker than the outback but also a little bit less stable. If you are not planning to do distances the outback may be a better fishing platform. I started with a revo 13 in WP and I am still using them and I think they are a great yak. I have had both the older 08 model from new and more recently the 2016 model with the newer seat. Truth be told there is not a great difference between them especially if you are happy with the older seat. The older revo is also a little bit more stable and feels more comfortable anchoring in current. A pre 2015 Revo or Outback are usually under 1500 on the second hand market but still great yaks. Try to get one that has not been beaten up. ie dont buy one from me.
Zack073
Posts: 9
Joined: 16 Sep 2021, 13:19
kayak: Looking to buy
Real Name: Zack

Re: Advice On A Kayak Westernport

Post by Zack073 »

Fish Grylls wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 20:21
maverick wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 17:36
Zack073 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 12:31

Do you think an old Hobie revolution 13 would be good, or is the outback better. Is there any major flaws in older Hobie kayaks or are they generally good regardless of age.
The Revo is a great boat, faster than the Outback, not quite as wide and has less storage. But Grant Ashwell (NSW) has landed 50 plus Marlin from his, offshore. So they are a good option, they are also a far better paddle yak than the Outback. You could use the Revo as a paddle yak with confidence. It will be a bit hard, but I would sauggest trying both if you could, depends what you want to do. I could stand in my Outback (in lakes or on the bay on a good day) but not a revo.

I don't sell kayaks, so I don't care what you buy. If you do have an issue with a plastic yak, Steve "Gherkin" AKA The Yak Doctor is a whiz at plastic repairs.
The revo 13 is a little quicker than the outback but also a little bit less stable. If you are not planning to do distances the outback may be a better fishing platform. I started with a revo 13 in WP and I am still using them and I think they are a great yak. I have had both the older 08 model from new and more recently the 2016 model with the newer seat. Truth be told there is not a great difference between them especially if you are happy with the older seat. The older revo is also a little bit more stable and feels more comfortable anchoring in current. A pre 2015 Revo or Outback are usually under 1500 on the second hand market but still great yaks. Try to get one that has not been beaten up. ie dont buy one from me.
I think I prefer the stability over speed as I dont think I'll be doing very long trips, so I think the outback maybe a better choice. I have looked on gumtree for a second hand one and they are hard to come across especially for under $2,000. But I am considering just buying the original yak listed (bay sports) and fitting my own accessories to it. It seems to be good for small to medium fishing trips in WP (and most other places) and I don't want to totally break the budget with a $2,000 yak plus accessories, especially since I'm just a beginner in the sport. I will keep my eye out incase a bargan comes by but for now I think the bay sports yak is the way to go. I am still waiting for lockdown restrictions to ease so I can test out some kayaks.

Are there any other good websites for second hand yaks?

Thanks
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
Posts: 2846
Joined: 17 Sep 2017, 18:34
kayak: dune PA14
Real Name: Peter
Location: Clifton springs

Re: Advice On A Kayak Westernport

Post by peatop »

Zack073 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 22:14 I think I prefer the stability over speed as I dont think I'll be doing very long trips, so I think the outback maybe a better choice. I have looked on gumtree for a second hand one and they are hard to come across especially for under $2,000. But I am considering just buying the original yak listed (bay sports) and fitting my own accessories to it. It seems to be good for small to medium fishing trips in WP (and most other places) and I don't want to totally break the budget with a $2,000 yak plus accessories, especially since I'm just a beginner in the sport. I will keep my eye out incase a bargan comes by but for now I think the bay sports yak is the way to go. I am still waiting for lockdown restrictions to ease so I can test out some kayaks.

Are there any other good websites for second hand yaks?

Thanks
I think the speed more importantly could be best explained as resistance, the more resistance the less speed, you tire faster, that said, I have had 3 yaks only 1 a Hobie the others paddle, the second was a cheap while I saved for my Hobie, it's a good yak from Lovig but a tank to paddle but then so is my Hobie PA lol. there is nothing wrong with starting in a cheaper yak provided it will do what you intend.

Another place that seems to have good priced kayak is facebook market place, although I sometimes look on gumtree I find facebook a bit easier to use and sort the type im after and the distance it shows from my home.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
Posts: 2846
Joined: 17 Sep 2017, 18:34
kayak: dune PA14
Real Name: Peter
Location: Clifton springs

Re: Advice On A Kayak Westernport

Post by peatop »

Zack073 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 22:14 I think I prefer the stability over speed as I dont think I'll be doing very long trips, so I think the outback maybe a better choice. I have looked on gumtree for a second hand one and they are hard to come across especially for under $2,000. But I am considering just buying the original yak listed (bay sports) and fitting my own accessories to it. It seems to be good for small to medium fishing trips in WP (and most other places) and I don't want to totally break the budget with a $2,000 yak plus accessories, especially since I'm just a beginner in the sport. I will keep my eye out incase a bargan comes by but for now I think the bay sports yak is the way to go. I am still waiting for lockdown restrictions to ease so I can test out some kayaks.

Are there any other good websites for second hand yaks?

Thanks
I think the speed more importantly could be best explained as resistance, the more resistance the less speed, you tire faster, that said, I have had 3 yaks only 1 a Hobie the others paddle, the second was a cheap while I saved for my Hobie, it's a good yak from Lovig but a tank to paddle but then so is my Hobie PA lol. there is nothing wrong with starting in a cheaper yak provided it will do what you intend.

Another place that seems to have good priced kayak is facebook market place, although I sometimes look on gumtree I find facebook a bit easier to use and sort the type im after and the distance it shows from my home.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Post Reply